bulking training routine

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
the past few weeks i have been on the Ectomorph routine, which i saw on some other post. before this, ive been doing the typical bodybuilding routine (chest one day, back the other, then legs then shoulders...etc). Which routine is better for bulking. ive thrown in the 5x5 here and there just to get over a peak i thought i was reaching. i will continue to do that here and there. any thoughts? thanks:cheers:

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
oh, and how often should you switch routines? i know its better to change so u dont peak faster, but how often

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
I would at least stay on a routine for 6 weeks, I'm in the process of switching right now. It's definitely nice to have a little change in the gym instead of the same boring stuff as before. Any routine will give you size if your diet is right.
I've noticed its a lot about progression, if you find yourself lifting the same weight every week, start to write a journal and log how much you lift, how many sets and reps. This will make sure that your not lifting the same thing every week.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i just started bulking a week ago.. it was merely testing the waters. I've been consulting this former olympic weightlifter and now bodybuilder who tells me that for overall size, you need to focus on building All the different types of muscle fibres.. type 1, type 2a and type 2b. He says a reason ppl plateau is because routines simply don't target every single type. Amongst that, they don't target capillarization.

So basically, for bulking beginners like myself who also have crappy genetics and were formerly unfit, a standard program like 5 x 5 wont cut it.

5 x 5 he says is excellent for strength gain, increasing mind-muscle coordination and targetting type 2b fibers. But on top of that, we need to do something that targets type 1, type 2a and which increases capillarization.

So I suppose that's saying, do 5 x 5 3 days a week or so. Amongst that, add 3 days of total body moderate to hi rep training.

And after 5 x 5, to increase capillarization, do some pump sets which are really light weight but 50 reps or so. It's similar to fiber damage / fiber saturation.

and as WP pointed out, progressive overload.... increase the weights progressively.

I've just started doing that for that last couple days and i'm in tremendous pain atm... so yea, seems good.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
ya ive been doing chest one day and back the other...etc and now im doing the ectomorph program till nov first. i tried that low rep med rep high rep thing for all the cells and i never got sore. i keep a log of my stuff, as long as my meals

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
How would you feel as though a routine that pyramids 10-8-6-4 increasing weight each set goes, i have been doing that for a little while with good results, then once and I while I throw in high repitition work

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i do that now. well i do 8 6 4 with increasing the weight. then on the weekends ill do like 12 10 8 to mix it up a bit

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i just wanna know if its better to do all compound lifts or like chest, back, arms, legs separate days