Help with diet plan

allday54

Awards
i dont realy have a diet plan. i dont drink soft drinkes , eat fast food or junk food anthing on those lines. i just try for the most part to eat things that are high in protien. i eat breakfast lunch and diner, i try to eat during those times as much as i can fit into my stomach but other than that i need alot of help.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
Well I dont know how good you are at sticking to the same ole food everyday for weeks or even months on end but this is what I prefer for bulking....

5 Lbs of Russet Potatos (aprox 2000 calories from carbs, 580ish grams carbs, 80ish grams protein, 30-50 grams fiber, zero grams fat!)

2 Lbs of Lean Ground Turkey (93/7, aprox 1600 calories from protein, aprox 180 grams protein, aprox 20 grams fat)
(I change this to 2.5Lbs turkey per day if I am doing a 4 or 5 day split)

For sauce I use HEB Brand, No High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup, and when it starts to get plain I throw in some good ole Mexican hot sauce (not salsa, more like an even spicier Tabasco) This way I get no more than 100 calories from all combined sauces in a day. Also remember to keep out the high fructose corn syrup to help keep the insulin levels stable when on a high carb diet.

I chop the potatos up really small kinda like chips, I spray non fat cooking spray on 2 large cookie pans and bake at 430 degress for 28 minutes.

Boil the Turkey (boiling will cook it faster and the fat will float to get it to 99% lean after you strain it, in theory...) Make sure you have a Lid on the Pot as this way it is pretty much impossible to overcook (more like steaming actually) and you cant forget about it and evaporate all the water out and have burnt food lol

I know I am a bit hardcore but I like it.... For me this will bulk me up about 1 - 2 lbs per week depending on what sorta split I am on. I throw in a homemade protein shake on my lifting days just to be sure I am really in the anabolic range.

I will typically eat this diet for 2-3 months straight with just a little cheat meal once a week (cheat meal, not cheat day*). Ohh yeah one more great thing about it, it costs less than $70 per week after taxes, heck watch for a good deal and you can pickup the turkey really cheap at sams club!

-James

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
What are your goals? What are your current stats? That will determine what kind of diet plan you need.

allday54

Awards
well i want to get my wieght up to at least 180 185. curently im 160. i wnt to get alot of lean mass with not much body fat.

booya123

Awards
so you eat 5 lbs of potatoes and 2.5 lbs of turkey every day? and nothing else? for 2-3 months at a time? if so im gonna try that out and see how long i can stick to it

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
so you eat 5 lbs of potatoes and 2.5 lbs of turkey every day? and nothing else? for 2-3 months at a time? if so im gonna try that out and see how long i can stick to it
Pretty much, just put some good ketchup/bbq sauce/ or hot sauce on it and it will do you good (try to avoid the high fructose corn syrup at all costs with this very high carb diet)

I have several other diets I will switch to occasionally once I get where I can't eat the same stuff anymore.

Here is my bulking spaghetti:
1.5 Boxes of Whole Wheat Penni Noodles (easier to eat than spaghetti noodles)
2Lbs Ground Turkey
3 Jars of the Ragu Pasta Sauce - Light Tomato & Basil

This comes out to 260ish protein grams
400ish carb grams
50ish fat grams
around 3500 calories also

I prefer the penni noodles because they are alot less messy when eating and easier to portion out in your bowl. I will pretty much cook all my foods the day before then put them in 1 large tub (spaghetti) or 2 tubs (meat/potatoes) and just make sure all is eaten by the end of the day, I eat every 3 hours*

For *Desert* or whenever I really need something sweet to make things a bit smoother I have a bowl of generic Captain Crunch Fruity Cereal in skim milk

Fluids wise I drink 4 liters of water per day and typically have 2 liters of some sort of generic diet soda (diet root beer/diet dr pepper/ diet coke off brands lol)

On lifting days I have a protein shake directly after working out so calories on lifting days are 4200ish and non lift days anywhere between 3400 and 3800 depending on if I have some cereal or not lol

I have really worked hard at disciplining myself to be able to do this. I wont say it is the best or easiest diet in the world to stick to but I will say the results are dam good for me and I am sticking to what works for me. Try to think of it like work, you hate work but you love the paycheck... Well here you may hate having to do one thing but you love the results so just stick to it!

BTW if I had money I would be eating steak and it would be alot more luxurious than this lol. I am a broke sob right now though and this is the best way to stay in a good diet. Hell the the .99 cent store has 5 lb sacks of potatoes there but I opt for the good shiz from Wallmart at 1.79$ ;)

-James

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Well I dont know how good you are at sticking to the same ole food everyday for weeks or even months on end but this is what I prefer for bulking....

5 Lbs of Russet Potatos (aprox 2000 calories from carbs, 580ish grams carbs, 80ish grams protein, 30-50 grams fiber, zero grams fat!)

2 Lbs of Lean Ground Turkey (93/7, aprox 1600 calories from protein, aprox 180 grams protein, aprox 20 grams fat)
(I change this to 2.5Lbs turkey per day if I am doing a 4 or 5 day split)

For sauce I use HEB Brand, No High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup, and when it starts to get plain I throw in some good ole Mexican hot sauce (not salsa, more like an even spicier Tabasco) This way I get no more than 100 calories from all combined sauces in a day. Also remember to keep out the high fructose corn syrup to help keep the insulin levels stable when on a high carb diet.

I chop the potatos up really small kinda like chips, I spray non fat cooking spray on 2 large cookie pans and bake at 430 degress for 28 minutes.

Boil the Turkey (boiling will cook it faster and the fat will float to get it to 99% lean after you strain it, in theory...) Make sure you have a Lid on the Pot as this way it is pretty much impossible to overcook (more like steaming actually) and you cant forget about it and evaporate all the water out and have burnt food lol

I know I am a bit hardcore but I like it.... For me this will bulk me up about 1 - 2 lbs per week depending on what sorta split I am on. I throw in a homemade protein shake on my lifting days just to be sure I am really in the anabolic range.

I will typically eat this diet for 2-3 months straight with just a little cheat meal once a week (cheat meal, not cheat day*). Ohh yeah one more great thing about it, it costs less than $70 per week after taxes, heck watch for a good deal and you can pickup the turkey really cheap at sams club!

-James

James, excellent post! question though... isn't 2000 calories from carbs going to put on a lot of fat, or am I confused?

By my math if I do 2.5lbs of turkey, I'm looking at a total of 910g (and 4000 calories) of food. 305g protein 580g carbs and 25g fat that's 33%/63%/2.7% Do I want my protein closer to 50% or 30%?.

Please note I'm pretty new to keeping this close of an eye on my diet so this is NOT a critique, but much rather an inquiry. Thanks in advance.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
As to fat gain I am really only gaining 1% bf per month with that current diet so for me it really is pretty much spot on. Also I had been the big fat guy for a the first 18 years of my life and when I initially started the fitness thing I was 325lbs around 40% bf, I had leaned down to 170 @ 12% after 1 year of exercise and strict dieting so I have learned that losing fat is the easy thing for me.

I can't say this is the best diet in the world for everyone but I can say that it works great for me. Also the only difference in bulking and cutting to me is the amount of potatoes I eat per day (2-2.5lbs of tators to cut vs 5 lbs to bulk)

I would just experiment a bit really if you want to get something that is perfect for you. For me I am not necessarily carb sensitive but I am very sensitive to fats and sugars, thats why this crazy high carb diet works for me....

Also don't forget to calculate your total numbers you burn
My rmr when bulking is much higher than when cutting obviously from eating so much more food.
If you estimate a 100% effort 5x5 traing program uses up about 800ish calories 3 days a week.
Then my estimated RMR is around 3000 calories per day due to jacked up metabolism.
and lastly on sunday I usually do a 6-7 mile walk which burns around 700 calories.

3000x7 = 21000 burnt weakly by rmr
800x3 = 2400 burnt from lifting
+ 700 from walk
--------------------
24100 total calories burnt

then you figure that 4000x7= 28000 intake during that week

----------
3900 surplus every week meaning 1.11 lbs gained per week

(I am nerd, life is much easier in numbers to me)

Just remember both muscle gaining and fat loss is just a game of numbers. As long as you don't play outside your boundaries and you insure that you get your numbers every day and you do your workout every week it should come quite easily.

-James