losing the gut while bulking

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
as a college student, i cant eat steak and lean chicken 24 7, although i do fit that in my diet. i try not to eat too much mcdonalds, but im bulking so why not. how do u bulk and keep off the gut? do a crap load of crunches with high reps?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can't eat crap food and expect to lean out.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
There's two ways to buik. A clean & dirty bulk or clean during the weekdays and kinda dirty on the weekend. Just need to make sure your gut/love handles don't get out of hand! Every Sat. morning I weigh and measure my waist and make adjustments off those.

Also, try some HIT training. Boxing, sprints, jump-roping for 15 mins. or less. Interval style that is.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
im not trying to lean. read the freakin title, BULKING.and reev, ya im doing a mix of clean and dirty. would doing more ab work help

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
no you cannot target fat loss. either bulk or cut, decide. you cant gain weight without gaining weight.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
More ab work won't keep stomach fat off. You will have to find a balance of just the right amount of cardio to keep it at bay but still be able to gain.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
The only way to keep excess fat gain from occurring is to keep your carb intake moderate. Try to set yourself a good level of P/F/C, try it for 2 weeks, and adjust your carbs up or down from there by whether you are gaining fat at too high of a rate or not gaining muscle mass. Only you are going to be able to decide whether a given caloric and carb level suit you. Trial and error. KEEP THE ****TY CARBS to a MINIMUM. Get the angus burgers from McDonald's, and dont eat all of the buns. Keep the fry intake down or eliminate it. You can make good choices, AND STILL BULK UP, without saying "I'm eating McDonald's so it's ok if I eat "fill in the blank". Good luck.

BEAST

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im not trying to lean. read the freakin title, BULKING.and reev, ya im doing a mix of clean and dirty. would doing more ab work help
I hate to break it you, sub-genius, but what you're attempting to do is not only asinine, but shows your lack of knowledge of the basic fundamental principles (the "can I just do crunches" further illustrates that). "Losing the gut" is something that happens when you are in a caloric deficit, not a surplus. The irony is that for the price you spend at any fast-food place, you can easily buy an infinitely better meal for yourself at a grocery store. Whilst bulking, and in your case, "dirty" bulking, fat gain is a consequence. Although there are methods to limit this (e.g. cardio, caloric cycling), you cannot bulk without gaining fat.

You need to figure out exactly which one is more important to you at this particular moment. If you don't, then you will just be wasting time and stagnate.

phatboy

Awards
keep eating that way and later down the road your going to get
what no one ever brings up " The Duke belly" and no cardio or diet will get rid of it

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, ive never hada gut problem dip****, thats why i posted this on here. im very lean, i weigh 175 with 8% fat, i just have a little gut and i was wondering if it will come off when i lean up for the summer or is there an easy way 2 do it now while bulking

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
No one said you had a gut problem dont know why you are so defensive when people are giving you advice.
Just be happy that you are 8%BF eating burgers from McD's..you know that you shouldn't eat dirty food like that when you wanna lean out, esp when on a bulk.
eat right do a lil cardio an when the time comes, cut.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
i do- if i just lifted maybe 15mins light
off days ill do maybe 30 mins
Focus on bulking then cut when ur ready. im in the process of a bulk also and for me its not easy, at times i wont do cardio and don't notice to much fat increase.

So you know im in college as well, if your low BF just cut out the fastfood and snacks, just eat meals and lift, it is going to take time but in the end you'll be happy you came as far as you did

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
More ab work won't keep stomach fat off. You will have to find a balance of just the right amount of cardio to keep it at bay but still be able to gain.
Exactly. You can't spot reduce, physiology doesn't really work that way.
If you're "bulking", just try to minimize the damage. Carb cycling seems to work very well (for me anyway) and sometimes you can recomp that way a little.
For the most part though, you need to pick a battle and stick with it for best results. You can only go so far if you're attacking two fronts.

So....if you're going to keep bulking, either keep carbs moderate, around workouts, or cycle them throughout the week, and adjust your cardio to stave off the excess adipose gain. Oh....and not mixing your fats and carbs too much goes a long way as well.

workout18

workout18

Awards
Rodja, ive never hada gut problem dip****, thats why i posted this on here. im very lean, i weigh 175 with 8% fat, i just have a little gut and i was wondering if it will come off when i lean up for the summer or is there an easy way 2 do it now while bulking
if you are 8% body fat you wont have a gut. you should have ripped abs. 8% bodyfat is very very low. there is no way of reducing you gut in any way whilst bulking unless you are extrmely knowledgable and know your body perfectly. which to be honest i doubt you are. in order to burn 1lb of fat you need to do 250,000 crunches so that would be pointless. just go for the bulk and intake as many quality calories as possible. mcdonalds dont increase muscle so they are jsut a lazy meal when you cant be arsed to cook a good bodybuilding meal that may actaully help you clean bulk. if you are 8% you shouldnt even be worrying about a gut. im 12% and dont have a gut at all so i think you will be fine.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
im just used to having a ripped 6 pack and since ive been bulking for the past month, i dont anymore.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
same here, it sucks but then i think when all is said and done after I cut again ill be an even bigger monster

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
how long should a bulk cycle typically last? should i bulk till feb then cut for summer or dirty bulk for 2 months then clean bulk for 2 months then cut or what

rush808

rush808

Awards
im just used to having a ripped 6 pack and since ive been bulking for the past month, i dont anymore.
if your 8% how do have a lil gut and no 6 pack? I stand at 10% -11% still got mine. and u bulked for a month and lost it?

I suggest clean bulk till u feel u gain enough BF u can stand to have.. do u lose fat pretty easy? then stop bulk 3 month before your debut.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
yeah, most of my weight gain has gone to my stomach, not all though. and i dunno how fast i lose fat cause ive never had this problem. ive always been looking to gain. this is my first true bulk. maybe i should run a bit, do ab work, and do a clean bulk till my cut?