Dietary suggestions for my first bulk

GrandWazoo

Awards
Hey guys,

Currently weigh 195lbs at 6'4.

When I started at the gym, I had a fair amount of fat on me. I was weighing 185lbs at the time. I lost the fat, and gained muscle and now am up to 195lbs. I still have some fat on me (I don't know my BF%) however I figure it is best to go for a bulk then cut rather than cut first and bulk. My goal is to get up to 205lbs-215lbs and be lean (8%-14% BF?).

My diet consists of a lot of home-made stuff. Basically whatever my mom makes.. All healthy stuff:

bean soups
chili
roasted chicken, turkey, beef, etc
brown rice dishes (with beans, etc)
vegetable soups
etc

and of course, I eat a lot of eggs, drink milk, eat tuna, big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, etc.

As of last week, I realized I didn't gain any weight in the last 2 months, so I figured something was going wrong with my diet... I figure I wasn't eating enough. So, I have started a clean bulk - eating as much as I can (and still keeping it clean without getting too dirty). I also am using Syntha-6. Shooting towards 200-350 grams of protein a day not counting calories at this point because I figure it's worth experimenting with to see what results I get.

At the gym, I aim to train hard and always push myself further each workout. Just started deadlifts, squats... My split is:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Shoulders
Thurs - Arms
Friday - Legs
Abs generally Mon - Fri or at least 3 days a week.

Stopped cardio as well. I was doing 5 mins of high intensity the last 2 months and prior to that I was doing 40 mins 6 days a week :boggled: Keep the cardio or scrap it during a bulk?

What I am curious to know:

- Will I gain fat on my bulk? Or, if I am lifting heavy will it not really matter?

- What is the proper process to lower BF %? Bulk then cut? From what I understand: I eat more, gain muscle by lifting heavy and eating more and this burns fat...

- I am 18. Does this influence anything dietary?

Thanks a lot!

GrandWazoo

JessieC

JessieC

Awards
Its hard to tell if you will gain fat or not without knowing how many calories and not knowing the size of the serving you are taking in. I would suggest laying out your macros and go from there

GrandWazoo

Awards
Alright, well today:

Wake-up 11:30am:
Protein shake (2 Scoops of Syntha-6) with about 300ml of milk.

1pm:
4 eggs
Large bowl of bean soup (Romano beans, carrots and some cut up potatoes)

1:30pm:
4 or so biscuits with my coffee

3:45pm:

7pm:
4 sausages
Brown rice w. lentils... Big plate

Workout 830pm - 930pm

Post-workout 1030pm:
Banana with a little bit of Nutella
1 scoop of Syntha 6 with water
Few of those old granny biscuits

Generally don't eat any cookies or anything (because of the poor carbs and stuff), however I had a craving today.

And, generally when I cram in the oatmeal it is pre-workout... right before generally, mixed with protein.

GrandWazoo

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
input all that into fitday.com and then report back calories and macros.
otherwise who knows

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
I'll give an example diet (the one I use for bulking)

Its actually quite easy and filling, while giving you 3500-3600 calories per day on real food.

5 lbs of potatos per day (I cut them up into wedges, put aluminum foil on cookie sheet just sprinkle some pepper on and cook @ 425F for 26 minutes)

then for the protein

2.5Lbs of 97/3 Ground Turkey (get it at Sam's club, 5 lbs for $9.80 or something like that)

For sauce I use ketchup (make sure it doesn't have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it)
and a bit of hot wing sauce (Zero calories, gives some good Zang to it)

This comes out to
350-360 Grams Protein Per day
580-600 Grams Carbs Per day
80-90 Grams Fiber Per day
as stated 3500-3600 Calories per day
Ohh yeah fat grams are kept to less than 30Grams per day with that!
The only fat in the food anywhere is the very little on the turkey

Then on lifting days I trow in my own home made shake that is 900 cals.
This keeps me gaining at 1Lb per week very religiously. I am doing a 5x5 training program
right now and weights go up between 5 and 10 lbs each week without any creatine or hormones!

I guarantee you will bulk up really good with that and you shouldn't gain much flub either if you do at least a 4 days split. Even if you do gain just a hair, throw in 15 minutes of cardio and it will keep it a very lean gainer

-James

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Alright, well today:

Wake-up 11:30am:

1pm:
4 eggs
Large bowl of bean soup (Romano beans, carrots and some cut up potatoes)

1:30pm:
4 or so biscuits with my coffee

3:45pm:

7pm:
4 sausages
Brown rice w. lentils... Big plate

Workout 830pm - 930pm

Post-workout 1030pm:
Banana with a little bit of Nutella
1 scoop of Syntha 6 with water
Few of those old granny biscuits

Generally don't eat any cookies or anything (because of the poor carbs and stuff), however I had a craving today.

And, generally when I cram in the oatmeal it is pre-workout... right before generally, mixed with protein.

GrandWazoo
Im gonna say your diet needs some tweeking . And using that macro counter will do wonders. I use to think i was getting in alot of cals but after really getting acurate count i was'nt even close to what i thought

WeakPoint

WeakPoint

Awards
  • Established
Thats like 5 scoops of Syntha-6 a day...that means a 5lbs jug only lasts you 10 days. How do you afford it?