Hardgainer Bulk Question

sooner999

Awards
I know as a hard gainer low reps, heavy weight and basic compound lifts (squats, deadlift, etc.) is the recommended diagnosis for us skinny guys. Some workouts I have found literally have me doing 5x5 on the bench and 5x5 on the military press and calling it a day. Only to find the same for squat and deadlift the next day. I understand the philosophy, its common for us to over compensate, but I dont understand how certain muscles in my body will grow while doing these limited lifts.

For example, how will my biceps and triceps be stimulated(I have pathetic arms) and besides literally 25 reps of military press a week my shoulders wont receive and stimulation either. I know that a certain amount of muscle inducing growth hormone is released when you do these heavy lifts but it is certainly not anything like an anabolic or PH, and even with those supps muscle wont start popping out of nowhere without proper stimulation. Can someone explain how squats, DL'S, bench, and military press will create mass other than just bulging legs and a puffy chest.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
If you are really pushing yourself on the 5 sets of 5, you will be amazed at what muscles will get stimulated. You don't need to do 100 reps of bi cep curls or tricep kick backs to stimulate those small muscles. The Bi's will get work doing heavy back exercises. The tris with heavy pushing. Have you even tried the program you are questioning? I'm saying no since you don't know how 25 reps of heavy military presses will stimulate your shoulders. Do some standing overhead barbell military presses 5 sets of 5 and report back how hard it is and what hurts the next day. Remember the idea of 5x5 is you are pushing max weight with the 5th rep being the last possible one you can do.

Deadlifts will work every single muscle in your back, your bi's, and upper legs and hips. Bench will work your chest, as well as shoulders some, tris some, as well as some lats depending on your form. Powerlifting style bench will work lats some compared to bodybuilding style. Squats will work your legs, lower back, upper back (keeping shoulder blades squeezed together and tight form),abs.

How about trying the program, learn the exercises and how to do them PROPERLY, going at it about 50-75% effort for the first week or two to get the movements down, and then hammer it max effort for a few weeks. Let us know how it feels. You will be surprised at the results.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
Well dont forget he did say he is a hard gainer... its hard for me to gain weight too, but nuitrition is the most important thing next to your technique and proper forum. I can eat anything i want and wont get fat, but what seems to work for me is to eat every 3 hours(try to at least). I probly take too much whey protein. I wake up take protein get home from work take protein, go to the gym come back take protein and then before i go to sleep take protein thats 23grams each shake and i only weigh 150lbs besides meals i eat and do not cut any calories out of!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
5 sets of 5, means that you use a weight where you cannot complete a 6th rep.

if you do it correctly, that will be all you need.

i prefer volume when bulking. just saying.

if your not happy with a routine, then switch it up!

it's all about variety. keep your muscles guessing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 10
Aging Warrior Workout Logs 0
nasty88 Nutrition / Health 39
peter01 Nutrition / Health 34
JOHNJESSICA20 Nutrition / Health 38