Smoking herb before lifting

Leetleguy

Awards
Anybody ever tried this? I have. I noticed that my muscles get the lactic acid buildup
burning sensation much faster. Sometimes I get off track if I took too many bong hits and I have
to remind myself to keep lifting. I don't smoke hardly at all. It's just when I do smoke I
still go lift

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I used to smoke a few hits before every workout (back in my college days - early 2000's). I always enjoyed it. Personally, it helped me stay in the zone. I would strap on my portable CD fanny pack (I was that guy), crank up some Disturbed, and couldn't tell you anything about anyone around me, that's how much I was zoned in (or out? lol).

I can't do that anymore as I workout first thing in the morning. And smokin' that early would probably hinder my ambition for the rest of the day.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Hey if it doesn't take away from your workout experience then do it.

I've tried it and personally didn't like it.... My workout wasn't as nearly as aggressive or intense and it would be if I wasn't elevated.

I did know a personal trainer at my gym though, a decently huge guy- probably around 190 8-10% BF at 5'8", who did that all the time and swore by it. When i talked to him about it his eyes were beet red and he had just finished repping weighted pull ups with a 45 so i wasn't exactly one to argue with him.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
Anybody ever tried this? I have. I noticed that my muscles get the lactic acid buildup
burning sensation much faster. Sometimes I get off track if I took too many bong hits and I have
to remind myself to keep lifting. I don't smoke hardly at all. It's just when I do smoke I
still go lift
This is why your biceps won't grow. :privateeye:

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i wouldnt do it before. i would/do/have afterwards though. i would feel weak and tired if i did it before.

chsfootball95

Awards
It depends how often you smoke/what kind of bud.
If you smoke an indica that wouldn't be smart because it relaxes you while sativas give you energy. Personally it just depends what kinda've a mood you're in. If you're feeling lazy and you need a pickup it can be a good thing but I wouldn't wanna do it before EVERY workout.

Is it really true that it causes lactic acid buildup?

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i would think if i was blazed id workout better. i just dont feel safe driving to the gym high. i know when im drunk i have INSANE mind muscle connection and i feel amazing and strong as an ox. similar to smokin but i have a feeling the rest periods might be a little too long if i zone out :p

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I used to smoke a few hits before every workout (back in my college days - early 2000's). I always enjoyed it. Personally, it helped me stay in the zone. I would strap on my portable CD fanny pack (I was that guy), crank up some Disturbed, and couldn't tell you anything about anyone around me, that's how much I was zoned in (or out? lol).

I can't do that anymore as I workout first thing in the morning. And smokin' that early would probably hinder my ambition for the rest of the day.
lol, I remember those days. That was me too.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
It depends how often you smoke/what kind of bud.
If you smoke an indica that wouldn't be smart because it relaxes you while sativas give you energy. Personally it just depends what kinda've a mood you're in. If you're feeling lazy and you need a pickup it can be a good thing but I wouldn't wanna do it before EVERY workout.

Is it really true that it causes lactic acid buildup?
The only way i can see anyone developing latic acid during werkouts, is becuz your stoned ass is eating cereal w/ milk all the tyme, and maybe your body doesnt like dairy so much.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Never tried this; most likely never will. I can't see it helping. That **** is for at night, watching movies, sex and listening to music.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
WEED imho has helpd me gain sooo much size, thc is a vasodiolator, it dosnt matter wat kind of bud i smoke , it always gets me pumpd and i have great strength while high as well as huge pumps. the mind muscle connection it 100% i never feel as tho im one with my movements unles im high. the only time i have that good of a connection is when i took the one. the biggest thing for me is my appitie increase and the zone im in, nothing bothers me and i forget everything thats on my mind and i just lift, everytime i smoke befor i lift i always have a good workout!
I have studied weed and its effects enough to learn and use weed as a supplement and not as a drug, another way i use weed is postwork out like after hevy squats it takes the edge off and allows me the pack away some food and keeps me pumpd.
and i do understand that smoke going into your lungs is not healthy at all but its my vice im in such good shape that i can smoke alil and it dose not impact in a negitive way but in a positive way. Now smoking every day and in lagre amounts like a dub a day is much worse, its not the weed its the smoke, if yer using a vape evan better for your sake

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I should add to my previous statement - at that time, I was abusing marijuana... pretty much high from the time I got up to the time I went to sleep. This lasted for many years. So, the effects of smoking before lifting for me were probably different than those casual smokers who may try it. I was used to the feeling - it was "normal".

It really comes down to personal preference.

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
i always FEEL stronger when i smoked back in the day, but in reality i was not....fun times though..

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you couldn't be a casual smoker, and go to the gym. I definitely couldn't do that until I mastered "controlling" my high.

I used to burn before going to the courts, and playing Racquetball. That was the best damn cardio workout I ever did. One day I hit the ball so hard it blew open on impact with the wall.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
o man! thats some anabolic trees!
lmao. Actually it was more like the increase in intensity and focus. I ran over, got behind the ball, ****ed, and exploded through. Its awesome when you feel your muscle contract in uniform, and come together to produce such force.

landon

landon

Awards
i agree, it definately makes it harder. you feel every rep more than the next. i usually just smoke after so i can eat all i want, usually NO explode gives my stomach that wierd feeling after i workout so its hard to eat. but if i smoke it makes it a lot easier to eat all i want lol..

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
It will help you focus and yes be in the "ZONE" along with the benefits of increased appetite:smokin::439::hitit: :240:

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
smoking before is a waste of weed.

MC Gun

MC Gun

Banned
Awards
one of the guys at the gym has a few lines before wo but no pot lol

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
one of the guys at the gym has a few lines before wo but no pot lol
ive always wondered how that would work out, the heart is probably about to explode

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
ive always wondered how that would work out, the heart is probably about to explode
Probably similar to working out after 37mg ephedrine and 300mg caffiene

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
possibly give me moobs? after how long?

its been years already with no sign of gyno.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
If you want to do rec drugs thats your thing but don't try and convince yourself its going to help build your physique. If you are serious about pushing to the limits then you eventually have to cut the garbage out - eating and living clean and lifting with intensity.

No one says you have to push to the edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.

dpfisher

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of
Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters
the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.
The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study
by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone
levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.
The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use
had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle
stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.
Noting that six other studies had failed to show
lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It
appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's
typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."
However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other
adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive
function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated
with heavy, chronic use."
Block's study is published in Drug and Alcohol
Dependence, Vol. 28: 121-8 (1991).
Not that I think it's a good idea unless you are running or biking or something then it might be fun.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
I used to smoke constantly before going to the gym and I always thought that it was a waste (I still did it however). After the first couple of sets my high was gone. I did notice that during my warmups on the treadmill I would sometimes drift to one side or the other like I had lost my coordination or something. I almost busted my arse a few times. Smoking afterwards though...... nice appetite potentiator/ rest inducer. (Damn I'd kill for a blunt right now!)

MC Gun

MC Gun

Banned
Awards
If you want to do rec drugs thats your thing but don't try and convince yourself its going to help build your physique. If you are serious about pushing to the limits then you eventually have to cut the garbage out - eating and living clean and lifting with intensity.

No one says you have to push to edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.

yep l have stopped drinking and partying for the past six months and l get as much sleep as l can even a small nap in the afternoon 3-4 days a week and eat organic as much as possible and l have the best gains l have ever experienced.

GettinSwol

Awards

No one says you have to push to the edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.
Good post. I was a regular to the zigzag for about 8 years and when you're a smoker you can write a book on excuses about how it doesn't harm you in any way and how you can be fully functional with weed and how it can be beneficial in so many ways but they are just that. Excuses. Weed doesn't make anything better except for movies, sex, and food. That's it.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I've trained hundreds of times after smoking and hundreds of times without smoking. It can be a positive experience or a negative one. For me, it's great. For others, not so much.

You can't really take a hard-line stance for or against it.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Justifying a habit. Its that simple.
who says i need to justify it?

you dont have any habits?

if you dont like it, dont do it. it is just that simple.

why do people spew this horsesh*T? you may need to cut out all of your vices if you wish to be a competitive bodybuilder and even then i dont agree, but to say that you cannot have an impressive body ( NOT just good enough) and smoke weed is a complete lie. i have several friends that smoke every single day and have great bodies, even better than alot of these people that have so called 'ascended' to another level and are complete health nuts.

slightly lower T levels - big deal?
slightly lower endurance level - so what? im not a sprinter for the NFL. i get my workouts and cardio done no problem.
munchies - this isnt even related to the issue. the decision to be a fat couch potato and eat donuts has to do with a lack of self control. i smoke and dont eat munchies. instead, a good thing to do is smoke before your scheduled meal. this way you are not getting any extra calories, yet you still get to eat after you smoke.

if it doesnt sink it the first time, read the post again, and again until it does.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i will be testing this theory friday when i have my gf drive me there, dont wana get a DUI ;)

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
i will be testing this theory friday when i have my gf drive me there, dont wana get a DUI ;)
Good idea. On a side note, I watched your deadlift video and no! Please keep your back straight, it made me cringe to watch it. Also use your hip, it looks like you are lifting with your back.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Justifying a habit. Its that simple.
Justifying a habit? Is that the best you could come up with?

Most people who posted in here are already recreational weed smokers. We obviously enjoy it and all the benefits it provides. Smoking/vaporizing weed has tons of medicinal benefits, from relieving glaucoma pressure to helping asthma attacks. If you want to make a statement about your anti-marijuana stance, go for it, but start another thread. This one is for people who already use the herb and will continue doing so. The point of this thread was to see how many people who already smoke use it before working out. I myself have had hundreds of amazing super-focused adrenaline-pumping workouts after smoking. It really allows me to get into the workout, feel the rhythm of the music on my ipod, feel the blood rushing into muscles. Rather than sitting there in between sets, looking around and thinking about the day's events, Im already loading the weight for the next exercise and rocking out to the next song.

The bottom line is, if you think smoking is a bad habit then you are entitled to that opinion. Just dont waste the space on this totally awesome messageboard with your close-minded statements. You dont smoke, thats great buddy. I along with other members in this thread could care less about what you think about the herb.

rckvl7

Awards
  • Established
For me physical activity and smoking weed don't mix well. I quit a couple years ago and feel so much better overall, but everyone is different. I say if it works for you, go for it.

EMT803

EMT803

Awards
same way you probably found a reason to justify rubbing topical pro hormones on your skin.
You are 1000% right IMO. It is absolutely AMAZING how any of us can judge anyone else's actions on this board (within reason, ESPECIALLY regarding substance abuse). If someone has a real life experience with "wacky tobaccy" and how it ruined their lives than that might be constructive (or excellent material for an after school special), but to the people that are talking smack about weed smokers that do/ have done "performace enhancers" of any sort and are looking down on others and/or judging them......... It's like a heroin addict spitting on a crackhead for being a junkie. Did I mention that I really would like a blunt right now?!?!?!

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
wow, last night... i smoked way TOO MUCH. i was spinning and throbbing and then threw up all the food i ate earlier. there was no way i could have lifted feelin like that, but after i puked, i felt great :p but no energy to go workout. but somehow found the strength to do 2 hours of cardio with my gf

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand how you can do it. The point of blazing is to feel relaxed and chilled. Personally, I could never have a quality workout if I was all highed up and s***. I have friends who smoke and workout. Those guys come in the gym high sometimes and I notice the caliber and intensity of their workout is s*** compared to what it usually is (when they're cognitive). They look like incapacitated zombies. They smoke as a leisure hobby, then try to let it carry over into their training. Because they're so used to that feeling, they try to rationalize why it's ok and that they can focus better and such, but as a witness I can attest that their performance is diminished. These guys come and go and never really commit to the sport-or commit to excercising period. Maybe it's just my experience, but all the potheads I've ever met have no motivation and no drive. Not my idea of a prototypical athlete/bodybuilder. Of course, everyone's different and there may be exceptions out there.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Forget weed... G...

Illegal? Yes

BUT

Pumps - AMAZING

Energy - WOW

Pain tolerance - through the roof

Strength - retard strength