Smoking herb before lifting

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. dpfisher

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of
    Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters
    the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.
    The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study
    by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone
    levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.
    The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use
    had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle
    stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.
    Noting that six other studies had failed to show
    lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It
    appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's
    typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."
    However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other
    adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive
    function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated
    with heavy, chronic use."
    Block's study is published in Drug and Alcohol
    Dependence, Vol. 28: 121-8 (1991).
    Not that I think it's a good idea unless you are running or biking or something then it might be fun.

2. I used to smoke constantly before going to the gym and I always thought that it was a waste (I still did it however). After the first couple of sets my high was gone. I did notice that during my warmups on the treadmill I would sometimes drift to one side or the other like I had lost my coordination or something. I almost busted my arse a few times. Smoking afterwards though...... nice appetite potentiator/ rest inducer. (Damn I'd kill for a blunt right now!)
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by UGHQTempus View Post
    If you want to do rec drugs thats your thing but don't try and convince yourself its going to help build your physique. If you are serious about pushing to the limits then you eventually have to cut the garbage out - eating and living clean and lifting with intensity.

No one says you have to push to edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.

yep l have stopped drinking and partying for the past six months and l get as much sleep as l can even a small nap in the afternoon 3-4 days a week and eat organic as much as possible and l have the best gains l have ever experienced.

4. Quote Originally Posted by codywaters View Post
    LAME..
    Your so cool. How is it being over 30?

5. Quote Originally Posted by UGHQTempus View Post
    If you want to do rec drugs thats your thing but don't try and convince yourself its going to help build your physique. If you are serious about pushing to the limits then you eventually have to cut the garbage out - eating and living clean and lifting with intensity.

No one says you have to push to the edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.
    Good post. I was a regular to the zigzag for about 8 years and when you're a smoker you can write a book on excuses about how it doesn't harm you in any way and how you can be fully functional with weed and how it can be beneficial in so many ways but they are just that. Excuses. Weed doesn't make anything better except for movies, sex, and food. That's it.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by GettinSwol View Post
    Weed doesn't make anything better except for movies, sex, and food. That's it.
    And? I am seemingly missing your point!
    The Historic PES Legend

7. Justifying a habit.

8. I've trained hundreds of times after smoking and hundreds of times without smoking. It can be a positive experience or a negative one. For me, it's great. For others, not so much.

You can't really take a hard-line stance for or against it.

9. Justifying a habit. Its that simple.

10. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Justifying a habit. Its that simple.
    who says i need to justify it?

you dont have any habits?

if you dont like it, dont do it. it is just that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by UGHQTempus View Post

No one says you have to push to the edge. There is nothing wrong with being good enough and having a good time on the side. But I'm slowly getting to the point were good enough is no longer good enough and I want to take it up a notch or two.

why do people spew this horsesh*T? you may need to cut out all of your vices if you wish to be a competitive bodybuilder and even then i dont agree, but to say that you cannot have an impressive body ( NOT just good enough) and smoke weed is a complete lie. i have several friends that smoke every single day and have great bodies, even better than alot of these people that have so called 'ascended' to another level and are complete health nuts.

slightly lower T levels - big deal?
    slightly lower endurance level - so what? im not a sprinter for the NFL. i get my workouts and cardio done no problem.
    munchies - this isnt even related to the issue. the decision to be a fat couch potato and eat donuts has to do with a lack of self control. i smoke and dont eat munchies. instead, a good thing to do is smoke before your scheduled meal. this way you are not getting any extra calories, yet you still get to eat after you smoke.

if it doesnt sink it the first time, read the post again, and again until it does.
    For me, the action IS the juice.

11. i will be testing this theory friday when i have my gf drive me there, dont wana get a DUI
    CELTIC LABS REP

12. Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    i will be testing this theory friday when i have my gf drive me there, dont wana get a DUI
    Good idea. On a side note, I watched your deadlift video and no! Please keep your back straight, it made me cringe to watch it. Also use your hip, it looks like you are lifting with your back.

13. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post

Yet another bright spot in society today.
    The Historic PES Legend

14. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Justifying a habit? Is that the best you could come up with?

Most people who posted in here are already recreational weed smokers. We obviously enjoy it and all the benefits it provides. Smoking/vaporizing weed has tons of medicinal benefits, from relieving glaucoma pressure to helping asthma attacks. If you want to make a statement about your anti-marijuana stance, go for it, but start another thread. This one is for people who already use the herb and will continue doing so. The point of this thread was to see how many people who already smoke use it before working out. I myself have had hundreds of amazing super-focused adrenaline-pumping workouts after smoking. It really allows me to get into the workout, feel the rhythm of the music on my ipod, feel the blood rushing into muscles. Rather than sitting there in between sets, looking around and thinking about the day's events, Im already loading the weight for the next exercise and rocking out to the next song.

The bottom line is, if you think smoking is a bad habit then you are entitled to that opinion. Just dont waste the space on this totally awesome messageboard with your close-minded statements. You dont smoke, thats great buddy. I along with other members in this thread could care less about what you think about the herb.

15. Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    same way you probably found a reason to justify rubbing topical pro hormones on your skin.

16. For me physical activity and smoking weed don't mix well. I quit a couple years ago and feel so much better overall, but everyone is different. I say if it works for you, go for it.

17. Interesting thread !!!!

18. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    same way you probably found a reason to justify rubbing topical pro hormones on your skin.
    You are 1000% right IMO. It is absolutely AMAZING how any of us can judge anyone else's actions on this board (within reason, ESPECIALLY regarding substance abuse). If someone has a real life experience with "wacky tobaccy" and how it ruined their lives than that might be constructive (or excellent material for an after school special), but to the people that are talking smack about weed smokers that do/ have done "performace enhancers" of any sort and are looking down on others and/or judging them......... It's like a heroin addict spitting on a crackhead for being a junkie. Did I mention that I really would like a blunt right now?!?!?!

19. wow, last night... i smoked way TOO MUCH. i was spinning and throbbing and then threw up all the food i ate earlier. there was no way i could have lifted feelin like that, but after i puked, i felt great but no energy to go workout. but somehow found the strength to do 2 hours of cardio with my gf
    CELTIC LABS REP

20. I don't understand how you can do it. The point of blazing is to feel relaxed and chilled. Personally, I could never have a quality workout if I was all highed up and s***. I have friends who smoke and workout. Those guys come in the gym high sometimes and I notice the caliber and intensity of their workout is s*** compared to what it usually is (when they're cognitive). They look like incapacitated zombies. They smoke as a leisure hobby, then try to let it carry over into their training. Because they're so used to that feeling, they try to rationalize why it's ok and that they can focus better and such, but as a witness I can attest that their performance is diminished. These guys come and go and never really commit to the sport-or commit to excercising period. Maybe it's just my experience, but all the potheads I've ever met have no motivation and no drive. Not my idea of a prototypical athlete/bodybuilder. Of course, everyone's different and there may be exceptions out there.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.

21. Forget weed... G...

Illegal? Yes

BUT

Pumps - AMAZING

Energy - WOW

Pain tolerance - through the roof

Strength - retard strength

22. If anyone wanted a hypothetical explantion to why thc gives pumps is as follows and possibly an increase in growth hormone;

"The mechanism for appetite stimulation in subjects is believed to result from activity in the gastro-hypothalamic axis. CB1 activity in the hunger centers in the hypothalamus increases the palatability of food when levels of a hunger hormone ghrelin increase as food enters the stomach."

Read that, now the keyword here is ghrelin.

Recently, ghrelin has been shown to activate the endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase in a pathway that depends on various kinases including Akt

"Ghrelin is also produced in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus, where it stimulates the secretion of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland."

Additionally,

"Ghrelin is also produced in the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus, where it stimulates the secretion of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland."

Additionally, one can think since it can elevate growth hormone, it can further lean body mass gains. Perhaps, even decrease adipose tissue if one does not succomb to "the munchies" in a negative way.

Growth hormone and nitric oxide could be a correlation in this case, as evidence by arginine stimulating nitric oxide when injecting.

Also some of my own observations on additional postive benefits. We know that sleep is vital to muscle regeneration. People who weight train need more sleep than the average person, approximately 8-10. Most Americans live in a sleep deprived state, which we know increase cortisol and glucorticoids. THC could definitely be a positive benefit to sleep, even possibly indirectly being a glutocorticoid antagonist.

There are negative effects for shure, which Ill go into detail at a later time.

23. this is quite disturbing, having been away for awhile taking a break from lifting.. i smoke (sparingly, i know i shouldnt) and smoke the chronic. However, i eat like a horse i have my shake in the morning & at night, but eat sh*t (fast food, chicken, burgers, etc whatever, it didnt faze me.)

Recently, i am getting back into it finally. but these past few weeks, i've been impressed with my results, i expected sub-par but got rather excellent ones, as far as growth about average but some serious tone-age is on the rise and general hardening of the muscles.

it has the power to be utilized as A. a recovery tool (pain, hunger etc.)and B. A cutting tool (believe it or not but marijuana can actually decrease the amount of food consumed, obviously once a slight dependance is formed.)

24. guys who are smoking, do yourself a favor and get a vaporizer.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Vegking View Post
    guys who are smoking, do yourself a favor and get a vaporizer.
    why is this? I enjoy blunts the most.

26. vaporizers only burn the thc which= no smoke, just a vapor its a much cleaner high. where as if youre smoking out of a bong, pipe, or blunt youre inhaling the smoke which is bad for your lungs, and give you that feeling of fatigue after a few reps.

27. yeah vaporizers are the way to go, and youll save money too, in the long run.(it consumes less herb)

28. Quote Originally Posted by landon View Post
    vaporizers only burn the thc which= no smoke, just a vapor its a much cleaner high. where as if youre smoking out of a bong, pipe, or blunt youre inhaling the smoke which is bad for your lungs, and give you that feeling of fatigue after a few reps.
    Are Volcano's the best? Those things are $$$... like $500+. The digital version looks sweet.

Any other good brands of vaporizers out there? I can't convince myself to spend $500 bucks on it when a pack of ZigZags cost me a buck.

29. Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    Are Volcano's the best? Those things are $$$... like $500+. The digital version looks sweet.

Any other good brands of vaporizers out there? I can't convince myself to spend $500 bucks on it when a pack of ZigZags cost me a buck.
    1 hollow bic pen tube
    1 bic pen cap (to keep hot tinfoil from burning you)
    1 piece of 2-ply aluminum foil 2x4inches
    1 lighter
    1 sprinkle (yes, a sprinkle. this is an extremely conservative method of thc administration) of fine herbage of your choice (for me, that'd be sour dies. As stated earlier, sativas are the best route to go for an energetic, cerebral experience).

Now...

for almost 0 dollars, you've got a functioning vaporizer which will save both your wallet and lungs.

For those of you under the impression the tinfoil is going to kill you and give you alzheimers.. you are incorrect. I do not have the study on hand, but i have read one that investigated this myth and proved it wrong. aluminum foil does not burn, at least not at the temperature you'd be exposing it to with a lighter. NASA wraps space shuttles and satellites in the stuff to prevent them from burning.

Volcano Digital is the way to go without a question. that is an extremely reliable piece of equipment... but at a very steep price. best advice to anyone looking to purchase a vape... save up for a volcano (doesn't have to be digital btw), or go with something like the vapor bros. (comes with lifetime warranty etc)... anything else, i.e. the Vapir One, etc... COMPLETE SH*T product. basically any vape for under 300 is either going to break, or just not work well. hence my point, when your goods are running low, grab some reynolds wrap and a bic pen.
  30. dpfisher

You can make your own for about $40 with a digital heat gun, some plumbing hardware, and an oven bag. Plus you don't have to wreck the heat gun so now you have a sweet digital heat gun!

That said, vapes suck. It's not the same, it's like smoking hash. You can just smoke and smoke and smoke and all you get is THC, you never the the effects from the CBD/CBN/others. However if you are just smoking hash then vapes are the way to go. You can get like 20 bags of a gram.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. K2 herb
    By purelife1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
  2. Puffing the herb...
    By EssexBoi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM