GOMAD diet:good or bad

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
alright i read bout this thing called a GOMAD diet where you are supposed to drink 1 US gallon of whole milk a day for a month. is this legit or or bull.
also could it be altered to work.

DenDestroys

Awards
Sounds like an awesome way to develope an allergy to dairy.

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
thnx the more people i talk to the more i hav to agree with u guys

chess315

chess315

Awards
it is one of the best diest for people starting out its hard to screw it up. It is very legit and works great if its been around for 70 or so years. Its the supesquats diet it isnt the best diet in theroy for a competitve bodybuilder type but if your trying to build a base its excellent. that diet has built many high level athletes the last century. its very popular with powerlifting and strong man competitors. thats what mark rippitoe recomends to beginers along with many other top strenght coaches.

chess315

chess315

Awards
the reason it works so well protien, water you take care of a large portion of your daily fluids and total calories. Many people belive there are growth factors in milk that science doesnt fully under stand. Its more of a diet for naturals but will work for anyone

tek52086

Awards
gallon of milk a day is an awesome way to pack in calories.

see my problem with most of the people on this board is that they say 'ohh milk and lactose will make you bloated and fat'
YEAH NO SH*T!
you must gain MASS to get BIG, not all the mass you will gain during a bulk will be lean muscle.

so to answer your question, YES, a gallon of milk a day will add 2400 extra calories. so make sure you eat every 3 hours, drink your milk, and focus on compound lifts and you will get big, fast.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
gallon of milk a day is an awesome way to pack in calories.

see my problem with most of the people on this board is that they say 'ohh milk and lactose will make you bloated and fat'
YEAH NO SH*T!
you must gain MASS to get BIG, not all the mass you will gain during a bulk will be lean muscle.

so to answer your question, YES, a gallon of milk a day will add 2400 extra calories. so make sure you eat every 3 hours, drink your milk, and focus on compound lifts and you will get big, fast.
if you want to gain alot of fat, by consuming totally useless calories, then have fun drinking your gallon of Milk :think:

Lunatic1988

Awards
if you want to gain alot of fat, by consuming totally useless calories, then have fun drinking your gallon of Milk :think:
And what makes the calories in milk "useless" if the goal is strictly to gain WEIGHT...

EDIT: :think: just for you

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You do realize that in order to build muscle you need calories, correct?

You also do realize that most people who end up joining this GOMAD are the very hard gainers, which lack sufficient nutrition as they don't consume enough calories to be over their maintenance level. Also, finally, usually these are the individuals who are not experts in nutrition and therefore do not have extensive knowledge on how to bulk / take in enough calories.

With all that in mind, how is it far fetched to see how 2400 extra calories a day, on a very decent macro breakdown between Carbs / Protein / Fat is something extremely ludicrous of an approach? You're getting extra calories, easy to take around with you, you get your macros, you make sure you're not burning more than you're taking and you work out hard in order to pack on muscle.

And lastly, I was unaware that milk calories are somehow "useless". When did milk get in the same boat of alcohol as useless calories?

airvine91

Awards
I'm interested in hearing more about this milk allergy theory. I do know that commercial dairy contains a high level of dead bacteria from the homogenization of hundreds of different cow's milk and pasteurization kills all the good bacteria and enzymes/growth factors. In addition to the likely antibiotics, etc they put in the milk. I really don't think that GOMAD can be too healthy, I couldn't do that diet anyways as I'm pretty lactose sensitive and would have my bowels explode. But aside from that, I guess it's greatest merit is in it's simplicity for a begging to adhere to.

A compromise with the gomad diet would be introducing a MetRX Big100 bar with 12 oz's of milk 1-2x a day as a meal filler. Each bar+milk is like 500+ calories and 50grams protein.... The rest of the meals in your day can be basic 35 grams protein plus carbs/healthy fats.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While I agree this would be great for hard gainers... my guts are starting to bubble just thinking about it! I used to do 1 qt after a workout, and that alone blew the sheets off my bed.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested in hearing more about this milk allergy theory. I do know that commercial dairy contains a high level of dead bacteria from the homogenization of hundreds of different cow's milk and pasteurization kills all the good bacteria and enzymes/growth factors. In addition to the likely antibiotics, etc they put in the milk. I really don't think that GOMAD can be too healthy, I couldn't do that diet anyways as I'm pretty lactose sensitive and would have my bowels explode. But aside from that, I guess it's greatest merit is in it's simplicity for a begging to adhere to.

A compromise with the gomad diet would be introducing a MetRX Big100 bar with 12 oz's of milk 1-2x a day as a meal filler. Each bar+milk is like 500+ calories and 50grams protein.... The rest of the meals in your day can be basic 35 grams protein plus carbs/healthy fats.
It is true, not for everyone most likely, but to not understand "how" someone would benefit from the calories and all is what was weird. It is just a very very simple notion that anyone can adopt to.

I wouldn't be able to just because I'm not a fan of milk, but I could easily do a GOCMAD (Chocolate Milk) as I love that stuff and it would be a lot of calories. Don't know how my intestine would respond but I would put on a crapload of lbs from it.

The bars idea is a good one, but a lot of the shakes and all just go straight down your tube, absorption is not the greatest and pricing is not comparable either between a gallon of milk ~$3 and 5 protein bars at prolly around $2.5...

The whole point behind GOMAD is how simple and easy it is, even the biggest noob with no notion of nutrition can benefit from it just because of the raw 2500 cals that it provides. If his body will agree with it or not, it's a whole different story.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

it does suck that raw milk is so expensive, its $10/gallon locally.

airvine91

Awards
it does suck that raw milk is so expensive, its $10/gallon locally.
I would love to have access to Raw Milk, even at $10/gallon. I wouldn't know where to get it though in the south Florida area :/

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres a Nutrition Smart in Miami Lakes, Pembroke Pines and Palm Beach Gardens. You can call and see if they carry it there, I buy it at the one local to me.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I was on the GOMAD diet and it made me fat, upped my BF by 2% in a month and I looked like a chub monster. I agree it is good for people that don't know how to watch their calories or add correctly and are just looking to gain weight, not if you have a specific goal on how you want to look...unless you want to have a gut and be heavy

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
i might give gomad a chance.... while im on cycle.... i think it would keep fat at minium since ill be on epi or hdrol... and hopefully gain 10lbs lean muscle.... maybe only do 1/2 gallon a day though.... what do you guys think?!?! I think that would be the perfect time for a gomad diet... on cycle getting 2400 more calories.... should make me huge... let me know what you think...

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
i might give gomad a chance.... while im on cycle.... i think it would keep fat at minium since ill be on epi or hdrol... and hopefully gain 10lbs lean muscle.... maybe only do 1/2 gallon a day though.... what do you guys think?!?! I think that would be the perfect time for a gomad diet... on cycle getting 2400 more calories.... should make me huge... let me know what you think...
It sounds like a solid plan to me. I drink almost a gallon per day myself while bulking (right now). I'm a super hard gainer though. I've been doing this for a month now and have gained 5.4lbs. I do have a less cut look now as well, but it is the nature of bulking.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I'm a idk what kind of gainer.. Gain fat m muscle about the same... I guess lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ethan_wilde Bulking 20
zconners Bulking 20
Supplements 3
Anabolics 2
Bulking 7