Best way to lean bulk in college?

DenDestroys

Awards
I ask, because right now I am on the CKD. When I get down to lower bf% in the next few weeks I plan on bulking. Right now it's mandatory for all students to have a meal plan, I pay 1200 a semester for mine, and I'm not even using it right now cause I come back to the dorm and cook eggs/meat and weigh them by the ounce to count every calorie I'm getting.

I want to know how I can bulk without the bf% surging. Is there anyway I can use the dining hall to my advantage even though I cannot count the calories over there? I could easily eat 1,000 calories over there and not even know it, and think I only had 500. So, if I'm having all this extra calorie intake, and not getting to do a nice clean slow bulk, will doing fasted AM cardio help with keeping the fat at bay throughout the duration?

Need some advice here, because I'm tired of going out and buying all my groceries when I have the dining hall to use and I'm not using it. Usually everynight it's about 80% carbs, 20% proteins (either porkchop, burger, chicken, fish.)

Will making sure I keep the carbs cut off after 6pm be a good way of not gaining excess fat? I'll focus my carbs around morning, lunch, preworkout and postworkout.

I really wanted to start off by going 500 calories over my maintenance, but this isn't going to be possible with eating 3 meals in the dining hall. Dirty bulks just make it all the more harder to cut then in the spring right? I'll have enough preperation come spring time, that I would be able to do a more gradual cut, than a hastey CKD cut. So, that may help in my advantage.

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
Im in college right now too so I'm always looking for good deals on food. Heres what I did yesterday. Went to costco, got a back of 26 individually 4oz (good size) wrapped chicken breats, I think Tyson for 12.99 or 13.99. Then I got a back of these asian pork pieces on a bone that look somewhat like a drumstick for 11.99(13 in there), and for 12.99 I got a back of frozen/already cooked steak strips with 12 servings in there. Keep in mind all this mean is SUPER LEAN. So all that food is a little over $40 and that should be the most expensive food you need, if you eat all this in a week you won't ever be hungry. The carbs are cheap(brown rice, vegetables, I can canned vegetables, fruit, whole grain bread). Then you can just get some nuts/can of peanut butter and a few table spoons of that and you got your fats too.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I was just at Winn-dixie checking out the mags and saw one about this very topic. Check it out. And check out T-Nation an article titled, Get Big w/o Getting Fat by Chris Shugart. Good luck.

DenDestroys

Awards
I was just at Winn-dixie checking out the mags and saw one about this very topic. Check it out. And check out T-Nation an article titled, Get Big w/o Getting Fat by Chris Shugart. Good luck.

He suggests 800-1,000 calories over maintenance. Does that sound like a good number to start with. Most that I've seen stated 400-600 over maintenance - Always room for tweaking, though.

He doesn't really say about where to place carbs throughout the day, but I'm assuming around breakfast, preworkout and postworkout, right?

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
He suggests 800-1,000 calories over maintenance. Does that sound like a good number to start with. Most that I've seen stated 400-600 over maintenance - Always room for tweaking, though.

He doesn't really say about where to place carbs throughout the day, but I'm assuming around breakfast, preworkout and postworkout, right?
I'd go by checking your bodywt. every Sat. and measuring your waist to make the correct changes that are needed.

I'd go with morning, a few hrs. before your WO and post-WO. Starchy I'm talking about. Darker, green veggies amap thruout the day.

I just added in the EVO shots. And adding in a mid-night meal starting today, night. Ha.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
400 over maintence on training days and 100 over maintence on non training day with cardio. itll be a slow steady gain and youll definetly minimize fat gain...

but these calories need to be adjusted to workout intensity daily activity and time spent in the gym.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
400 over maintence on training days and 100 over maintence on non training day with cardio. itll be a slow steady gain and youll definetly minimize fat gain...

but these calories need to be adjusted to workout intensity daily activity and time spent in the gym.

this is going to be VERY HARD if you want to eat in the cafeteria.

I'm in the same exact predicament. Paying 1200 for a meal plan but never eating in there because I make my own food.

I use the meals to either just stock up on fruit, or I figure out what days there will be grilled chicken or a lean meat and go in there.
You could use a macronutrient partitioner and that will help minimize fat gain....or even try Recreate with surplus calories.

But for the most part, you're gonna have to rely on your own creativity. I am slowly becoming good friends with the kroger butcher haha. I go in there every other day to talk to the guy and ask him about deals on lean burgers or ground turkey.

As far as doing AM cardio to minimize fat gain, you wanna make sure your body has enough recovery to build the lean tissue, so a brisk walk is what I would recommend, but I wouldn't be doing intensive cardio all the time.
Another thing is carb timing. Make your largest quantities of carb intake at breakfast, pre workout, and post workout. Also give yourself a carb cutoff. I go to bed at like 12 or 1 am so I cut off carbs at 8 at the latest. After that just snack on protein and fat sources.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Brisk walking is for out of shape old farts, just my opinon, and only that! Ha.

Medium to high intensity boxing, jump-roping, sprints, interval sprints is the way to go. You just have to keep it to 10-12 mins. or less. Maybe the brisk walking or other types would be good for other, depends on your situation. Work, sleep, supps. eating right.

DenDestroys

Awards
Ok, I am pretty sure I can work this out. I have access to a kitchen down here, so I cook rice, boil eggs and cook meat down there. I already purchased tuberware and store all my stuff in that. Only time I use the diner is on Fridays after my workout, for carb refeed, I go in there and eat like 10 bowls of assorted cereals. :)

Since I've lost all this bf%, I'll go to desperate measures to make sure I don't have a gut come back. Only drawback to all this is - I ditch my friends when they all go to the diner to eat, and my girlfriend has to go eat with other people, too.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
same as any other time. get in yor meals. I used to eat mine between classes and if I was absolutely time paacked would bring protein bars.

try to get in whole meals alternated with liquid or protein bars and try not to do two liquid or bar meals one after the other if possible

I used to stay out untill 3 o clock at clubs would bring tuna, sweet potaotoe and olive oil at one clock go out of the club eat it in my suv than go back into the club.

heres another calorie shake two-three scoops of protein, one cup of oatmeal all in a cup..thats 75 protein,60 carbs or ajust as needed

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is going to be VERY HARD if you want to eat in the cafeteria.

I'm in the same exact predicament. Paying 1200 for a meal plan but never eating in there because I make my own food.

I use the meals to either just stock up on fruit, or I figure out what days there will be grilled chicken or a lean meat and go in there.
You could use a macronutrient partitioner and that will help minimize fat gain....or even try Recreate with surplus calories.

But for the most part, you're gonna have to rely on your own creativity. I am slowly becoming good friends with the kroger butcher haha. I go in there every other day to talk to the guy and ask him about deals on lean burgers or ground turkey.

As far as doing AM cardio to minimize fat gain, you wanna make sure your body has enough recovery to build the lean tissue, so a brisk walk is what I would recommend, but I wouldn't be doing intensive cardio all the time.
Another thing is carb timing. Make your largest quantities of carb intake at breakfast, pre workout, and post workout. Also give yourself a carb cutoff. I go to bed at like 12 or 1 am so I cut off carbs at 8 at the latest. After that just snack on protein and fat sources.
what about getting the food from the cafeteria and bringing it back to ur room and putting it in tupperwares.

theres no bad carbs just mis used times if your bulking.

so if theres rice and potatoes with chicken. bring it back to ur room and have it PWO

im sure they have oatmeal so get that and have a protein shake with it.

DenDestroys

Awards
what about getting the food from the cafeteria and bringing it back to ur room and putting it in tupperwares.

theres no bad carbs just mis used times if your bulking.

so if theres rice and potatoes with chicken. bring it back to ur room and have it PWO

im sure they have oatmeal so get that and have a protein shake with it.
Bro, they are really strict about taking food out of the cafeteria. I thought I was going to be arrested for taking a banana out of the cafeteria once.

Smeton, did you drink alcohol when at the clubs? I use to take a colossal met-rx bar with me to parties, keep it in my pocket, and eat that. Then I learned alcohol basically diminishes all protein synthesis, so I figured what was the point.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Really I can leave with food. But its not a cafeteria really its more of a food court type thing with a grill salad bar subway and java center

But they have an egg statiom for breakfast and stuff and they have all u can eat for like 8 bux

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
yea man we can't leave with anything but a cookie or a piece of fruit.

that article was great tho. Having a good eye for deals. I might try the ramen noodle thing and use beef instead of tuna, but I like more whole grain pastas for better carb sources. but i guess ramen would be good post workout.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
i didnt read all the posts so this might have been already said but...

i went to college and had to deal with the same issues. i think the dining hall is great for kids trying to gain weight. just stick to the basics, chickin pasta rice eggs salad tunna cottage cheese total or grape nuts cereal even bagels are ok for trying ot gain weight. you dont have to b militant in weighing everything just eat eat till ur full with protein carbs and some healthy fats. follow that 6 times a day for the next four years (or however long ur in school for) and watch the growth.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
jusst watch the alcohol consumption. that will be the biggest setback.

late night wings or pizza once in a while wont be terrible for you.. live a little!! ur in the best part of your life!!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
jusst watch the alcohol consumption. that will be the biggest setback.

late night wings or pizza once in a while wont be terrible for you.. live a little!! ur in the best part of your life!!
truuuuueee

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys. this isn't that tough. I've done it twice and im doing it right now. You have an unlimited amount of food at your disposal!!!!!

Things that I think every caf has......
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Tuna
Oatmeal
Peanut Butter
Hamburgers

You can bulk off of that. Ask for more of whatever they may have. I ask for 20 hard boiled eggs, 8 hamburgers, 8 chicken breast (when we have them) 5 packets of plain oatmeal. THEY HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO YOU!!!!!! If not go to the dean of the school.

Guys it's very possible and very nice to have. You can do it, it just gets repedative.

DenDestroys

Awards
Do you suggest I just don't worry about counting calories too much. So long that I just make sure I cut myself off carbs after dinner. I just don't want to get a big stomach with my bulk. That seems to happen every time I bulk up; probably from all my excess calories.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would bring tuperware and use it and hide it in my back pack **** them

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If ur allowed to bring a bookbag pack it with tupperware. Go up for 2nds and 3rds each time and pack ur fridge. Hard boiled eggs. Freeze the oatmeal take fruit chicken anything they have. Unless they are watching u eat the whole time and check ur bag u really shoukd b fine

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah def a good idea they are bitche$ about taking stuff out, idk why tho the sh!t is free!
If they hassle you talk to the dean. This happened to me so I called and e-mailed the dean about it and it was taken care of. I dont know if it was because I am an athlete that they made an exception, but it's worth a try.