How often to change routine?

co1e train

Awards
So i do 12 week workout routines. And i have heard to change routines every 4-6 weeks. Is this a solid rule of thumb to say?

Thoughts as far as when to change routine and what to change as far as reps and sets and what lifts to substitute is welcome.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
as long as you're progressively overloading your muscles (through periodically increasing weights or increasing sets / reps ) and hitting your muscles from all angles, it shouldn't matter.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I change it up about the same, but thats what works for me, and the changes are often subtle.

Kookahdoo

Kookahdoo

Awards
  • Established
I change mine when I feel I am in a rut or I see little to no progress.

wild12

Awards
I just keep on going until I start to see little or no progress...I think the "official time-frame" to switch up your routine simply depends on the individual, there is no magic number as far as I can tell.

Jutsin

Awards
Change it when progress or motivation starts coming to a halt.

That's worked for me so far.

chris808costa

chris808costa

Awards
I like to just keep upping the weight.
But I also change when I feel like I am plateauing

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
i like to start a routine then for the next month try to up the weights or reps for each workout. then at the beginig of the next month switch up the exercises all together and start the cycle again. its good because it forces u to push yourself but you dont get sick of certain exercises because u are cycling them in and out every month.

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
when you guys talk about changing up your routine. do you mean like a total overhaul. for instance choose A,B or C.

A- take your workout 5X a week (one day arms, back, next chest, and finally shoulders, and legs) and change it to a 4x a week workout of back and biceps, chest and triceps, legs and shoulders.
B- take 5X a week and alter the days on which u work out. for example mon-arms, tues-chest, weds-legs, thurs-back, and -fri-shoulders. THEN switch this to mon-chest, tues-legs, weds-shoulders, thurs-arms, fri-back.
C- a combo of A and B

Thnx dudes