Need help

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I'm trying to bulk up, been in the gym for over a year now. I currently weigh 150 at 5'10 and my bench max is 2 reps of 205. I've been stuck at this max for about 3 months now and can't seem to get past it. I tried changing my routine and it hasn't had much of an effect. My current routine is
Monday - All upper body workouts besides biceps, wrists and forearms.
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday- All lower body plus forearms and biceps
Thurs - Off
Friday - Repeat Monday workout
Sat+Sun - Off
Monday - Repeat week 1 starting with Wednesday.

I take 1 Protein shake on off days and 2 on lifting days. and 5g Creatine Mono after my workout on lift days. I use AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein. Trying to find something cheaper.
I also just started a new job. Mon - Fri 8-5 Painting. We only have time for 1 lunch but I can take smalls breaks whenever I want for small snacks. I have another job cooking on Sat & Sun so I try to cram on calories those days but its not enough. Since I started my new job a few weeks ago I've lost 10 pounds but still put up the same weight which is good, but I'm trying to bulk and heres my problem. Anyone have any tips to help me bulk and get stronger? Thanks for your time.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
okay, i think the solution is an easy one. split your shake in half, use half of it preworkout, and half of it postworkout. add in some quick carbs (whatever you want), about 50g pre and post workout as well, and that should help. with regards to preworkout carbs, slower carbs if you drink your shake 30 minutes before hitting the gym, faster carbs if you take your shake and hit the gym immediately after.

without seeing the rest of your diet, i can't give you any other advice. again, i'm pretty sure a preworkout shake will take you farther than you think.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I usually start my day off around 7 with a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit. Around 10 I'll have a protein bar. Then around 1 I'll have lunch and have a chicken sand. or a tuna sub/sand. Around 3 I'll have a piece of fruit of some sort. Then around 5:30 I'll take a make a protein shake with 60g of protein then head to the gym. Run for 5-10 mins for a warm up then workout. After my session I'll come home and whip up another shake with 60g of protein then i'll make a turkey sand. I'll then munch on all sorts of things until bed time such as fruits nuts hardboiled eggs and ice cream. It varies from day to day. Sometimes I'll miss a snack after lunch or sometimes i'll whip up a good breakfast eggs peppers sausage bacon. The only fluids I drink are milk and water. Now after reading your post I'm thinking of instead of having two shakes just cut one in half and add some more carbs pre and post workout. Such as a bagel, juice, or some pasta or maybe i'll try that cytocarb and just add that to my shake maybe? Probably not. Oh I also am in the middle of my first cycle of MRI HSP Active if that makes a difference. By the way thanks for the reply.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I usually start my day off around 7 with a bowl of cereal and a piece of fruit.
you need to take breakfast a bit more seriously IMO. even a little bit of protein will help with this.

Then around 5:30 I'll take a make a protein shake with 60g of protein then head to the gym. Run for 5-10 mins for a warm up then workout. After my session I'll come home and whip up another shake with 60g of protein then i'll make a turkey sand.
no way do you need that much protein pre and post workout, carbs are your energy source. the protein just helps your body not scavenge EAA's from your muscles. stick with 25-30g.

instead of having two shakes just cut one in half and add some more carbs pre and post workout. Such as a bagel, juice, or some pasta or maybe i'll try that cytocarb and just add that to my shake maybe? Probably not. Oh I also am in the middle of my first cycle of MRI HSP Active if that makes a difference. By the way thanks for the reply.
cytocarb pre/post workout is fine. just make sure if you take it preworkout you start your warmup in 10-15 minutes. at least with me, fast carbs burn out real fast unless i hit the weights very soon after consuming.

best of luck to you :) this link might have some info i've missed : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

edit : do you have a monounsaturated fat source? nuts, avocados, olive oil, canola oil?

Future

I am interested in what whole foods you eat. REAL FOOD FIRST...add in supplements after.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
For your bench, try this. With a spotter, use the maximum weight that you can safely hold for 20-30 seconds, but keep it a few inches away from your chest, don't extend it. Then slowly move it an inch or two up and down. This is a hybrid isometric/isotonic exercise. It will work the muscles the most at the angle where they are the weakest. Don't do this on your regular benching days, and only do it once a week. Do one set for the first few weeks, and gradually increase to three. You'll soon blast past that plateau.

Please let us know if you try this, and post your review of this technique after about 6 weeks if you do it.

Thanks,

Phil

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
For your bench, try this. With a spotter, use the maximum weight that you can safely hold for 20-30 seconds, but keep it a few inches away from your chest, don't extend it. Then slowly move it an inch or two up and down. This is a hybrid isometric/isotonic exercise. It will work the muscles the most at the angle where they are the weakest.

Phil
How many reps would I be doing with this exercise, 3 -6 or 8-12 ?
Has anyone else out there tried this?

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Don't focus on the number of reps, just have a rhythm you're comfortable with. Main thing is keep the weight going up and down the same distance for 20-30 seconds.

loki515

Awards
pretty interesting theory on how to get past your benching sticks. Not really stuck myself but sounds like something I'm going to try and mix in with my weekly workout.