bulking with Keto

muscle4747

Awards
hey i was thinkin about giving this a try and wanted to see if anyone has any input or have tried this before.

i am currently cutting with keto and having great results so all i would do is basically keep adding calories.

the only actual carbs i have are PW now and will keep that up for the bulk ... there are few other carbs throughout the day just some veges and carbs in cottage cheese

let me know what ya guys think and any personal experiences with this

demetre

Awards
from what i understand it is impossible but would love to know that i am wrong!!! keto is the only diet that works for me. this is the same question i have.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
from what i understand it is impossible but would love to know that i am wrong!!! keto is the only diet that works for me. this is the same question i have.
Ya, i don't know about "keto" per say, but i have been on a low carb diet for about 1-1.5 years now. I have added significant muscle mass.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, I wasn't able to eat enough when I tried to bulk on keto (5000+ cals/day.) I wish you luck.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
You must have a hell of a metabolism. lol.
I dunno what the deal was man, sh*t just wasn't sticking at all. Had there been some carbs mixed in, I'd a blown up big.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dunno what the deal was man, sh*t just wasn't sticking at all. Had there been some carbs mixed in, I'd a blown up big.
Ya that is more along the lines of what i did. NO carbs on non workout days, post workout cabs M-W-F(less then 100g), but that is it. And a refeed.. So NOT keto, but low carb:)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive had great all natural gains while on keto diet,

just keep the cals up, eat the fats and keep consuming protein throughout the day.

if your not gaining your not eating enough.

carbs are wack and useless imo.

muscle4747

Awards
yeah i dont react very well to carbs .. i put on fat too easy ... but like i said i will still have some PWO prob only 20-30 so nothing major and only 40-50 throughout the whole day ... and either saturday or sunday have a carb based meal for the refeed ... i did some other reading and found that a lot of people do pretty well with the keto bulk but the gains dont come as quickly and there is little to no fat gain ... and i'm not in any kind of rush so i think i'll give it a shot ... any other comments or ideas are welcome

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
I also don't get along too well with carbs. I put on fat really easy but on low carb diets I always run into the problem of low energy and lethargy from low carbs. I tried a Keto diet and it was incredible how well it worked but even with a refeed I didn't have enough energy to really bulk or make any gains. That's just me though and everyone is different.

Has anyone else tried Anabolic pump or glycobol that is similar to me? I just ordered some AP and I'm hoping that will allow me to take in more carbs without the fat gain.

DenDestroys

Awards
Ya that is more along the lines of what i did. NO carbs on non workout days, post workout cabs M-W-F(less then 100g), but that is it. And a refeed.. So NOT keto, but low carb:)
Throughout this year, year and a half on the low carb diet, did you maintain a steady bf% whilst putting on lean muscle mass? Also, I would assume you never had to cut during this time as well. I plan on doing something similiar to this once I reach my desired bf level.

Would you outline how you space your carbs out on M-W-F? What ratio of carbs do you consume on your refeed day? Is it on Saturday?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions!:wavey:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Throughout this year, year and a half on the low carb diet, did you maintain a steady bf% whilst putting on lean muscle mass? Also, I would assume you never had to cut during this time as well. I plan on doing something similiar to this once I reach my desired bf level.

Would you outline how you space your carbs out on M-W-F? What ratio of carbs do you consume on your refeed day? Is it on Saturday?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions!:wavey:
Well for the first portion i was using the "Anabolic Diet" principles, with the goal of trying to add muscle, and picked up some fat in the process, not a ton, but more then i wanted.

Around May 08, i ditched the AD, for a low carb, with my only carbs coming PWO m-w-f. That said i shifted calories where i would lose weight SLOWLY, i mean maybe .2-.5lb per week. I did this till the new year(09), and was down like 10lbs in body weight, pretty lean, and also gained some good muscle, since calories were spot on.

Around new year i switched gears, to put on a bit more muscle while keeping fat in check. Bf stayed within 1-3% of my leanest, while adding significant muscle.

As for carbs, it varied. I tried a few different things. Keep in mind i train first thing in the morning, so preworkout was a 0 carb pro/fat meal.

1. Immedietly post workout i would consume WMS, then 30min later kid cereal. And that was it for the day. Nothing on non workout days, and weekly refeeds on saturday. Durring this time, i would lower the amount of carbs i consumed in these 2 feedings, as needed.

2. When i got fairly lean, and my fat loss started to stall i did the same as above BUT in my next two meals after my post workout meals, i added a SMALL amount of carbs, in place of the fat. And on off days into my first 2 meals. So for instance if i had 15g of fat(135cal), i replaced it with 33g of carb.

As for refeeds it depends. Refeeds adjusted as i got leaner. THey went from say my first meal, every saurday, in incriments, till all 7 of my meals were carbs, the leaner i got.

Here is a thread i started with some re-feed info, as it seems to be the biggest thing, people struggle with, and are confused about.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/111954-refeed-carb-up.html

HTH.

DenDestroys

Awards
Thank you for going into the specifics of it; very helpful.

My only question is, what is this WMS you consume PW?

Awesome refeed thread, btw.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thank you for going into the specifics of it; very helpful.

My only question is, what is this WMS you consume PW?

Awesome refeed thread, btw.
WMS= Waxy Maize Starch. It is just a carb. I would drink it in my car, as soon as i finished training, then 30min later i would have kids cereal(fruity pebbles, coco puffs, etc) with isolate/water, as my "milk".

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
should try this for milk

I think i may go keto the next couple weeks, and do it very simply - 6 shakes a day with each shake having 25g protein and 35g fats (mostly coconut oil I think, haven't completely thought this thru) so I dont even have to think about meals. plus added fiber of course