Good, okay or needs work?

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
I used to visit this site. I weighed 225 pounds and was a fat body. I was able to cut down to 170 to 173lbs. Now, I've decided that I want to gain some of the weight back the correct way this time.

I'm about 4 weeks into my "bulking" routine.

Day 1: Chest
--Incline, Decline, Flat, Flys, Pullover, Crossovers
Day 2: Back
--Pullups/assisted Pullups, Cable Rows, T-bar Rows, dumbbell rows, lat pulldowns, stiff-legged deadlifts
Day 3: Arms
--Barbell curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls, preacher curls, v-bar pressdown, skullcrushers, Dips
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Shoulders
--Overhead press, arnold press, lat raises, upright rows, rev pec deck flyes, shrugs
Day 6: Legs
--Leg press, Hack Squat, Deep Squats, leg ext, leg curls, calf raises, hip add/abductor, lunges
Day : Off

I usually pick 4-5 exercises and do 6-10 reps. I'm concerned about size, but more concerned with overall strength. I include some sort of core work and stretching during every workout. I am also doing some light cardio 2-3 times a week.

Diet:
2700+ calories a day(current weight is 184).
250+ grams of protein
250ish grams of carbs
Less than 90 grams of fat

Supplements:
NO Explode
Whey Protein
L-Glutamine
Cellmass

So, thoughts on what I'm doing? Improvements, comments, and suggestions welcome.

workingman16

Awards
At 170 lbs you don't need that much protein. 140-170 grams is plenty sufficient. 250g will put a lot of strain on you kidneys and if you dont drink enough water = kidney stones. NO xplode and cellmass are both creatine products (even though NO xplode is marked as nitric oxide). I would cut one of those out and just add a little red meat to the diet. That should be more than enough creatine. As far as the workout -> During your leg workout, I would place your deep squats first and add another calf exercise. Leg press, hack squat, and deep squat are all lower body pushes. I would get rid of one of those and add something like a single leg Romanian dead lifts. For size on your arms I would add another tricep as the tricep is more important to the size of the arm than the bicep. For chest are you just doing flyes at different angles??? I would definitely be adding some presses there.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I vary my routine often. My last leg workout was:

Leg Press
Leg Curl
Horizontal Seated Calf Raise
Deep Squat
Standing Calf Raise
Lunges

Yes, upper, mid and lower flies. What other exercises would you suggest for chest?

Beatrice

Awards
A little off topic but how do you like the NO explode?

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
It is okay. I think I'm going to try SuperPump 250 next. I just don't get much boost from the NO. Others have, but it just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
2700 cals seems a tad low for you. I estimated your BMR to be about 1850 (with 10-14% bf) and with your activity level you might be expending about 3050 daily. I would adjust your calorie intake from that.

marshmallow man

marshmallow man

Awards
I measured my BF% today at the gym using one of those machines you grip. The number was 16%. Does that help?

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it changes it a little bit. Your total daily calorie expenditure is roughly 2900 instead of the 3050 I estimated earlier.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
i would scrap 3 types of flyes for chest and do some presses. flyes and cable crossovers aren't really mass builders. do DB presses instead, incline, flat, dips, and incline flyes. 3 sets of 6-10, pyramiding weight up. done.