gain weight?

Sonic2

Awards
this is my weakly workout. i am going to start the BSN stack of no explode, cell mass, and nitrix. i will also be taking my gold standard protein. I really want to gain weight and i was wondering if you think this will do the job. im 6'1" and 150 pounds which is pitiful, i need some advice if possible.

Monday and Friday: Chest (no more that 6 reps/exercise- dumbell press, incline dumbell
press, cable flys, incline dumbell flys, dips)
Shoulders (front raise+lateral raise superset, behind neck press,
shoulder press, and rows, no more that 6 reps)
Triceps (skull crushers+close grip bench superset, rope pull+over
head extension superset, then lying tricep extension, no more than 6 reps.)

Tuesday and Saturday: Back (barbell shrug+behind back shrug superset, incline bench
dumbell pull, wide grip behind head pull ups, wide grip
pull downs, one arm dumbell rows, no more than 6 reps)
Biceps (preacher curl, overhead cable curl, alternate hammer
curl, chin ups, no more than 6 reps)

Wednesday: Legs ( Squats, leg press, barbell lungs, leg extensions, no more than 6
reps)
Calves (barbell seated calve raise, standing calf raise with barbells)
Then some forearm stuff

time lord

time lord

Awards
1) for now ditch most of the isolation movements (front raise, lateral raise, calves, curls, etc.). stick to compound movements only. you should build your routine around bench press, bent over rows, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, dips, pullups, etc...

2) try to only lift 4 days max... three would be even better. it seems like you want to be in the gym as much as possible so lets go w/ a four day routine.. as follows would be best for now Mon/Th-upper body, Tues/Fri-lower body... thats it. rest rest rest and eat eat eat the rest of the week.

3) forget about the bsn stack stuff... it will only account for like 5% of gains in the beginning if that. in fact, i would say put it on the shelf and save it for when you're into the groove of your routine a couple months down the road and you can use the extra push when you're increasing your workout volume. for now less is more.

4) EAT!!!!!!! learn as much as you can about proper nutrition WITHOUT SUPPLEMENTS. eat at least 6 times a day, every 2-3 hrs.

5) start your rep range on most exercises to 12-18... stay there at least 2 weeks.. perfect form is more important than weight right now. then go down to 8-12 for a couple weeks. thennnn after you are comfortable w/ your routine go down 3-6 reps w/ the heaviest weight you can manage.

6) DO NOT do any behind the head shoulder movements EVER. absolutely terrible for you rotator cuffs.

An example routine for you would look something like this:

Mon/Thurs
warmup-pushups 3x10
bench press 3(2) 12-18 (2) means warmup sets w/ just bar
dips 3x12-18
flyes 2x18-25
pullups 3(2) 3x12 or lat pulldowns
bent over row 3x12-18

Tues/Fri
warmup-lt cardio 10 min
squats 3(2)x12-18
lateral lunges 3x12
stiff-legged deadlifts 3(2)x12-18
single-leg squats 3x12

Move the reps down every two weeks like i stated above. when you've gone 6 wks, take a wk off and rest. only do lt cardio. then start the cycle over w/ heavier starting wt in the 12-18 range but begin to add an isolation movement or two to each days routine.

This kind of routine might seem like you're not doing much, but if you're making sure you're doing enough wt that the end of whatever rep range you're doing is near failure/failure there's no way you won't put on some serious mass quickly provided you're eating enough.

I run a basic program like this w/ clients who share your goal on a regular basis (I'm a full-time personal trainer) and see steady results on the order of sustained lean muscle gain of 2-4lbs monthly. that is about the maximum anyone can hope to achieve, can't ask for anything better.

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT REST REST REST REST REST REST REST REST REST

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
yea, good post timelord...

just as a sample diet out of the blue:
Eat 6 meals a day,,, 2 - 3 hour gap between the meals

Meal 1: 3 pieces of toast, 6 whole eggs (in the form of omlette or whatever)
Meal 2: 2 chicken fillets (or 160g lean chicken), 1 metric cup cooked brown rice, Veggies
Meal 3: Tuna sandwich.. 200g Tuna, Mayo, Salad.. + 3 1g flaxseed oil tabs
Meal 4: 1 metric cup Oats & 1 or more Scoops of Whey protein
Meal 5: Peanut Butter Sandwich + some Steak
Meal 6: Cottage Cheese + Salad + chicken nuggets

xink

Awards
  • Established
yea, good post timelord...

just as a sample diet out of the blue:
Eat 6 meals a day,,, 2 - 3 hour gap between the meals

Meal 1: 3 pieces of toast, 6 whole eggs (in the form of omlette or whatever)
Meal 2: 2 chicken fillets (or 160g lean chicken), 1 metric cup cooked brown rice, Veggies
Meal 3: Tuna sandwich.. 200g Tuna, Mayo, Salad.. + 3 1g flaxseed oil tabs
Meal 4: 1 metric cup Oats & 1 or more Scoops of Whey protein
Meal 5: Peanut Butter Sandwich + some Steak
Meal 6: Cottage Cheese + Salad + chicken nuggets
Only thing I'm not onboard with here is the mayo - I try to eat as clean as possible as often as possible, why not substitute the mayo humus or something similar... Mayo IMO is just a waste.

Other then that, solid stuff.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Only thing I'm not onboard with here is the mayo - I try to eat as clean as possible as often as possible, why not substitute the mayo humus or something similar... Mayo IMO is just a waste.

Other then that, solid stuff.
yeah I agree. Mayo = empty calories... but i just added it in there cuz it seems to go well with Tuna... perhaps avocado would be a good sub. I haven't tried it out with Tuna though.

btw, Sonic.. the bread is wholemeal bread.

Persian1012

Persian1012

Awards
Im new to dieting and semi new to working out... but it seems like that is a lot of food to be eating in one day. Can eating that much be beneficial to me if i want to burn fat?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Im new to dieting and semi new to working out... but it seems like that is a lot of food to be eating in one day. Can eating that much be beneficial to me if i want to burn fat?
well, that was for bulking which is gaining weight (with the aim of a very high Muscle to fat ratio). For cutting, you can still use that but just change the quantities to suit your needs and ensure you're in a caloric deficit (calories burnt > calories consumed)