Help Me Out: Diet & Gains

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I just joined anabolic minds and this is my first post, so if I am in the wrong category or section i appologize. Anyways I'm 19 years old weighing 150 lbs at 8.5% BF. My goals are to gain a lean 10 pounds and reduce my body fat percentage to about 6.5% I have been having some trouble with my diet and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions.

My current diet plan is:

9:00 a.m.- 4 egg whites, half cup oatmeal

12:00 p.m.- can of tuna and 1/4 cup of brown rice

2:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with either a baked potato or sweet potato

4:00 p.m- protein shake (48 grams protein)

5:45 p.m.- Work out

8:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with a salad or vegetables.

I am currently taking 100% whey gold standard by ON, Niox by Nutrex, NO Shotgun by VPX and Cell Mass by BSN

I am open to any suggestions that will help me reach my goal.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
10 lbs is alotta muscle. You're not gonna put on that much mass and cut down to 6.5% body fat at the same time. I would suggest a lean bulk first. Your diet is clean, so keep that up. But bump up your calories with more clean carbs and proteins...but don't forget fats. Oils and Nuts are good sources. If you're at 8.5% body fat now, thats pretty good, you should have a visible 6 pack...the goal is to put on lean mass while keeping the body fat. You should have no trouble keeping under 10% body fat while bulking.

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
You definitely could add in some more fruit and vegetables maybe some yogurt or something like that but and definitely some soft of fat. You might want to add some milk into your diet, I drink whole milk but that's just me. However, liquid calories aren't as good, anything helps. Don't forget about your multivitamin and fish oils and good luck!

B

Buggzy702

Awards
Hey Guys i have a question, im looking to gain alot of weight, is about 5,000 calories a day bad?

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
try adding a couple servings of natural peanut butter each day and see if that helps

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Do you have any specific reason why you want to drop your bf to 6.5%? 8.5% is pretty good as is. Do you have a goal bodyweight you want to achieve? I would suggest at 19and your weight, I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about your bodyfat. Increase your Kcals by 200-300 weekly and see how that works. Maybe more if you feel like it.

Here is what you could do: (Changes bolded)

My current diet plan is:

9:00 a.m.- 4 egg whites, half cup oatmeal (3 whole eggs 2 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal

12:00 p.m.- can of tuna and 1/4 cup of brown rice 1/2 Cup Brown rice you can keep tuna same

2:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with either a baked potato or sweet potato good

4:00 p.m- protein shake (48 grams protein) Add in some oats

5:45 p.m.- Work out Post workout shake with protein, some waxy maize, berries

8:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with a salad or vegetables. I'd add in either sweet potato, brown rice, or oats (depending on how many cals you are at and what your macros are

Depending on what time you go to bed I would add a slow digesting protein with some natty peanut butter

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys i have a question, im looking to gain alot of weight, is about 5,000 calories a day bad?
theres a difference between good cals (which will help gain more muscle over fat vs. fat over muscle). ever heard 'calories aren't created equal' its true

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Do you have any specific reason why you want to drop your bf to 6.5%? 8.5% is pretty good as is. Do you have a goal bodyweight you want to achieve? I would suggest at 19and your weight, I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about your bodyfat. Increase your Kcals by 200-300 weekly and see how that works. Maybe more if you feel like it.

Here is what you could do: (Changes bolded)

My current diet plan is:

9:00 a.m.- 4 egg whites, half cup oatmeal (3 whole eggs 2 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal

12:00 p.m.- can of tuna and 1/4 cup of brown rice 1/2 Cup Brown rice you can keep tuna same

2:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with either a baked potato or sweet potato good

4:00 p.m- protein shake (48 grams protein) Add in some oats

5:45 p.m.- Work out Post workout shake with protein, some waxy maize, berries

8:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast with a salad or vegetables. I'd add in either sweet potato, brown rice, or oats (depending on how many cals you are at and what your macros are

Depending on what time you go to bed I would add a slow digesting protein with some natty peanut butter
:goodpost:
if you want to drop BF, your going to have to cut back on cals or carbs, depends on your body type, metabolism, work out structure, and your 19...thats young man. If I were you, I'd just make sure I have visible abs and try to gain quality muscle

U

UKStrength

First of all :hijacked:

Next question, are you sure you need 5000kcal/day? Have you worked out how many you need?

There's nothing 'wrong' with eating this many calories, but it won't exactly lead to a muscular physique if you only need 3,000!

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
First of all :hijacked:

Next question, are you sure you need 5000kcal/day? Have you worked out how many you need?

There's nothing 'wrong' with eating this many calories, but it won't exactly lead to a muscular physique if you only need 3,000!
dont just say, 'I wanna get big, so Ill eat a ton of cals" that wont work, unless you want to be fat LOL

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
5000 calories a day is really an ambigious number because you didnt give any background info. Michael Phelps usually eats 8000 calories a day and he is thin, as well as tall. So we need more info and you might want to start your own thread so that it can be dedicated to your specific needs and not take away from the original poster's question. Start your post with a good description of yourself, goals, diet, and where you feel you need help.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
To the original question. IMO you need to not worry about BF% for 2 reasons. 1. Gaining muscle and size comes at a price, some fat. This is why we have bulking phases and cutting phases. 2. You are 19. Your body will regulate itself. You sound like you have a small frame and are a hard gainer, so you wont put on as much fat as someone who has a different body structure.

To increase weight up to 160 means that you should be eating lots of everything. You shouldnt worry about regulating protein vs. carbs. Eat Eat and Eat more. Have a well balanced diet that includes everything people have told you already, and have protein shakes post workout and before bed. Ideally to achieve 160 and look big you should gain up to 165-170 and cut down to 160. Personally I think once you hit 160 you're going to want 170 then 180, and then be like the rest of us ADDICTED to the feeling of getting big, hence anabolic minds.

Check out the posting BULKING TIPS and that will help you out. There are tons of good tips on there to preplan for a good bulk.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
5000 calories a day is really an ambigious number because you didnt give any background info. Michael Phelps usually eats 8000 calories a day and he is thin, as well as tall. So we need more info and you might want to start your own thread so that it can be dedicated to your specific needs and not take away from the original poster's question. Start your post with a good description of yourself, goals, diet, and where you feel you need help.
To the original question. IMO you need to not worry about BF% for 2 reasons. 1. Gaining muscle and size comes at a price, some fat. This is why we have bulking phases and cutting phases. 2. You are 19. Your body will regulate itself. You sound like you have a small frame and are a hard gainer, so you wont put on as much fat as someone who has a different body structure.

To increase weight up to 160 means that you should be eating lots of everything. You shouldnt worry about regulating protein vs. carbs. Eat Eat and Eat more. Have a well balanced diet that includes everything people have told you already, and have protein shakes post workout and before bed. Ideally to achieve 160 and look big you should gain up to 165-170 and cut down to 160. Personally I think once you hit 160 you're going to want 170 then 180, and then be like the rest of us ADDICTED to the feeling of getting big, hence anabolic minds.

Check out the posting BULKING TIPS and that will help you out. There are tons of good tips on there to preplan for a good bulk.
:lol::lol::lol:

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks I'm going to make some changes to my diet starting today and will update you on how it goes.. The reason I am looking to be at 6.5% bf is because although I am at 8.5% now my abs are not visible for some reason.. The only place i have stubborn fat is on my stomach.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks I'm going to make some changes to my diet starting today and will update you on how it goes.. The reason I am looking to be at 6.5% bf is because although I am at 8.5% now my abs are not visible for some reason.. The only place i have stubborn fat is on my stomach.
How did you measure your BF%?

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
You need more carbs 60-90 minutes prior to workout. Only 20-25 gr protein prior too. So save yourself a scoop o protein. Knock out two bananas with a single scoop shake, or oatmeal and shake, and whatever else gets you jacked up(diet mountain dew for me).

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I used one of those electronic hand held machines to measure it at my gym, i know those are usually inacurate. i did a microfit test at my university and the results were the same. im guessing give or take room for error im at like 10% or somewhere around there

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
ok so I modified my diet with some of your recomendations in mind and this is what it looks like:

9:00 a.m.- 2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup of oatmeal

12:00 p.m.- 1 can of tuna, 1/2 cup of brown rice

2:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast, fist sized baked potato/ sweet potato

4:00 p.m.- Protein shake (24 grams) with 2 bananas or 1/4 cup of oats

5:45 p.m.- Workout

Post Workout- Protein shake (48 grams), waxy maize

8:00 p.m.- 8 ounce chicken breast, small salad or serving of vegetables

Before bed (usually before midnight)- slow digesting protein shake

Critique this for me please and also suggestions on any supplements i should be taking or should take. I usually either take NO Shotgun or NO explode prior to working out as well as NIOX, 4 caps before breakfast and 4 caps before lunch. I am also taking cellmass post workout and 6 to 8 hours before or after depending on what time i lift.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Eating every two hours isn't always necessary, i.m.o. I'm more like 2.5 to 3, schedule permitting. But what I do know that is necessary is adequate carbohydrate stores for sufficient energy to plow through some focused, intense, high energy workouts that will catapulte your gains. So, I would nudge that 3rd meal to 2:30 ish, and the pre-workout meal to 4:30. I feel that 1:45 is too much time to pass between the most important meal of the day. If you're working out at 5:45, I would definately grub by 4:30. I bet your metabolism is high due to your age and current frame. You don't want those carbs to go unused, or used to their utmost potential anyway. Also, a 1/2 cup of oats is better than a 1/4 cup. I keep the 1/2 cup scooper right in the Quaker tub, so it's measured correctly, everytime. I've also read that we should layer our carbs after workouts. Meaning, I like the waxy maize, for the fast acting, but also try frozen berries(WalMart has a great mixed bag of straw, blues, and blackberries.) I also use a 1/2 cup of oats in my shake, blend that shiz up with skim, a banana, two scoops of your protein, a heaping scoop of Lite Cool Whip is great in there and can be reasoned with to use only in your post workout shakes. Also, you're macros in your sample diet are around 265+ for protein, around 176 for carbs, and fat around 60. I'd say for your size this might be good. If I had 176 for carbs, I'd be cutting, and crabby. But this should be ample for lean growth. If you're tired consistently, and w.o.'s are suffering, up the carbs a bit. Carbs are necessary for growth too. Wear it out dude!

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
If my workouts end around 8 pm would that be too late to have a serving of waximaize if i am trying to lose fat?

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
No, I'm thinkin' you're done by 7:00 or so because you want a meal one hour after you have your post w.o. shake/carbs. Which, waxy is fine there. I guess just remember that generality, one hour or so after post w.o. shake/waxy, eat. But to answer your question, probably not. What time do you go to bed? That can make a difference here, cuz if you're eating at 8, bed by 12, you would need to eat around 11 or so again. But here you would want that casein shake or a serving or two of f.f. cottage cheese. That waxy is helpful to help deliver the vital nutrients and protein to where it needs to be, quicker, during that anabolic window. So it will get used, just don't over use it at night. I like all your questions though, you're thinking.

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for all the help Andy, Ive been delayed on starting my diet but i got my paycheck today so it will start on Monday, Ive gone through 1 tub of ON casein protein in the past would you recomend i use that again or do you suggest another?

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Hey no problemo! Once you learn you pass it on, and the world keeps a spinnin around. I've been using a lot of ON Nitro Core 24 lately. It's got fast and slow absorbing proteins in it, making it more versatile. And there has been some wickedly good sales on it lately, even at the supplement devil, GNC!? Weird. But I wouldn't bother with a casein shake if you're budgeting. A serving or two of fat free cottage cheese will do about the same for ya before bed. Or get something like Nitro Core 24 that has multiple protein types, sources.

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The extra money might be worth it, i cant stand the taste of cottage cheese lol... any suggestions on making it taste a little better

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
The extra money might be worth it, i cant stand the taste of cottage cheese lol... any suggestions on making it taste a little better
You can put splenda and cinnamon or I like orange crystal lite in it.

S

shotdead42

Awards
Hey jp21590 im bulking as well at 16 yrs old, during January i was like 146lbs;Around 1year and 5 months i was 127lbs; and now today im around 160lbs. All lean muscle; i didnt take any creatine, pre-workout drinks.

Just straight up natural foods and protein drinks. Recently this is my Schedule that was effective for me.(not entirely accurate but its minimum of what i have daily. Somedays i'd eat more then this.)
Breakfast- 6:35 am
Dymatize 12hr -2 scoops,
Some cereal

Lunch-11:15am
2 sandwichs i calculated around 50 g protien total
bottle water
(i also drink 8 cups of water throughout the school hours)

Arrive home-3:00pm
1 cup milk; eat left over dinner, most of the time its either rice, meat, pasta, chicken, fish.. the good stuff.

Depends on the day i workout in the afternoon. between like 3pm-7pm is workout for like 1.5 hours
then drink ON serous mass.
1 hour later is Dinner(allways healthy with carbs like brown rice, chicken or pasta) with 1 cup milk

then sometimes like around 9pm-10pm i eat some eggs or cereal or drink a Dymatized 12hr shake.

The KEY thing that helped me was when ever i felt a little bit hungry i'd eat something, like either cereal, eggs, chicken, or w/e... or drink even drink a class of milk.(i bet around 3-4 cups daily of milk)

What really helped me gain weight was cereal, Serious Mass, and Lean chicken from Purdue(from costco)

Best of luck...

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
I would like to congratulate you Shotdead for being so young and doing it the RIGHT way for someone your age. More young people need to follow your lead and make the right decisions for diet and supplementation.

I know how hard it is during school hours to eat regularly, as was my issue when I was in High School over ten years ago. I would hide protein shakes in the refrigerator in the Caf in the morning and get bathroom passes throughout the day to sneak down to the caf to get my shake. Sometimes it would take me 15 minutes to get there down it and get back. When my teachers would ask what took me so long, I'd tell them I had diarrhea. What could they say back to me? "No you didn't, prove it!" HAHA

What type of training are you doing Shotdead? Do you play any sports?

S

shotdead42

Awards
thanks, Fightercowboy.

I'm not really training for any sports at the moment,but i did track during freshman and sophomore year. I might start it up during senior year.

I mostly do training to build up alot of lean mass.
most of the time my workouts are around 6-8 reps

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
if you want to drop BF, your going to have to cut back on cals or carbs, depends on your body type, metabolism, work out structure, and your 19...thats young man. If I were you, I'd just make sure I have visible abs and try to gain quality muscle
Right on brother! Op is taking way to many carbs. And eating way out of order. When you eat you should eat about six times a day. And also you should eat atleast every 3 hours. Now you say you want to show some abbs. you might want to consider a low carb protein shake, drinking alot of water and doing mad cardio!! In cutting season for me when I wana let my abbs show I get shredded by doing a work out routine that consists of the following...Sun.Rest/ -- - Mon. Full body work out (weight lifting.)/---- Tues. Light Cardio 1 hour.-- Wed. Rest---- Thur. Hard Core Cardio work out-----Friday- Full Body (weight lifting.)---Sat Hardcore Cardio