Small build, looking for gains but finding it difficult

Bobert3222

Awards
Hey guys, my rookie post and boy do I mean rookie. I tried doing some searching, but this site is tremendously large. (Great thing!) I got a few ideas, but feel a more personalized thread would be more effective. One of my good friends reminded me of about this time last year when I was closer to 150 (being about 140 now) and how noticeable it was. To make a story short, getting a girlfriend killed my workout schedule.

As mentioned in the thread title, I feel I have a quite small build, I don't look sickly thin, but no one would ever consider me strong or any other appropriate synonyms. I work a pretty significant amount per week and coupled with the girlfriend, my time gets cut up pretty quick.

I do know some of my issues on why I can't get great weight gains, and I guess I am looking for ways to either train my mind to get around those or some type of force. I know one of the biggest parts of gaining weight is is eating, and eating right. I consider myself to be pretty conscious when it comes to what I eat for the most part, but I have my weaknesses as other do too. Additionally, I have a small appetite usually and a fairly quick metabolism. Breakfast is something I hardly ever eat, lunch is hit or miss. At least once a week I will miss the first 2 meals of the day and not eat till 2 and then a late dinner. I simply have no appetite in the morning after waking up.

So what it comes down to is I have a poor workout schedule and poor food intake. I know that a lot of responses would circle around "eat more" but I just don't have the need or want to. I hit a wall very quick. Are there any tips/supplements/jedi mind tricks that can help me to get out of that "funk" and into a more scheduled routine, because I've heard that a routine is completely necessary.

Also, I would like to focus more on upper body if anyone has tips about that. I play goaltender in hockey and my legs get quite the workout so I am far less concerned about them. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bob

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you have a poor workout routine and diet, then you'll never get the results you desire. That is like wanting to become great at any sport without practicing.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
i know how you feel about having a small appetite and not being able to eat. i never used to be able to eat but after doing some research on here i realized how important it is and if i want to grow than i need to make this a BIG part of my life. try cutting out snacks in bettween your meals. make it a point each day to have a breakfast lunch and dinner. then after than you can add more things in little by little. i promise you that soon your appetite will grow and the more you do research on here the more focused you will become. make it a point to eat even if your not hungry, if you want to get bigger make sure your full ALL the time. trust me man if i can do it you can do it.

KingaDeca220

KingaDeca220

Awards
Bob,

I used to be the same way, albeit a long time ago. I started out early high school years roughly the same weight (140 or so), same appetite and wanted quick results with little effort. Obviously it didn't happen. I gradually started eating more and I realized that the more I ate, the more my appetite grew and the more I could eat in a sitting. Not everyone can jump into a massive calorie diet overnight. As calorie expenditure increases (through exercise) and you start to eat more, your appetite will grow. Trust me, with time you'll naturally start eating quite a bit more and you'll find yourself craving a trip to the gym. You really need to get something (even if it's something light) in your stomach in the morning. Your body is sitting in a catabolic state for who knows how many hours. You're eating away precious muscle tissue while you sleep! All I'm saying is, try working your way up slowly and watch how much you find yourself eating once your workout is well underway. Good luck man.

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
Well said...the best thing to do that i've found is just have patience. For a long time I couldn't gain any weight but I began eating better and lifting harder. Your best bet is to monitor your calorie/carb/protein/fat intake for a few days and see where you stand. You will then know if you need to up your intake or not. Just give it time and your appetite will be there. Always keep some sort of food in your stomach weather it's the smallest snack or a larger meal but never let yourself get hungry. Good luck and enjoy!

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Read my post titled BULKING TIPS!!! Should give you a quick start.