Should I bulk? Need help

michaelr7170

Awards
Hey guys.. at the beginning of march this year I decided to go on a really strict cutting diet and shed some weight. I hadn't been watching what I was eating and before i knew it i had on way too much weight (fat). I am 6'2 and managed to get my weight from ~235 down to 212.8 (yesterday morning weigh in). My BF is around 17% which is still high, but not compared to what it was. I dont know exactly what it was when i started because i only recently purchased a caliper. Anyway in April 2010 I'm going on a trip to Cuba which I am now setting as a new goal to really get in great shape for. I have a mesomorph type build but carrying a little extra weight around the mid section obviously. Anyway to get to the point, I'm curious if i should continue my cutting for a little longer or start to put on some muscle now. I would like to put on lean mass with minimal fat % obviously so any recommended supp's would be great as well. So to sum it up, for 2 months i've been dieting strict and hitting the gym 6 days a week with a program that combines bi's and tri's, back and shoulder's, chest, legs and abs. After every training session i've done an incline walk with my heart rate around 135 (~65%) for 25-30 mins. I'm also wondering how i would go about making the transition from a cutting diet/program to a clean bulk. I'm not sure if i should cut out the cardio and begin my new diet all at once or make a gradual change over a couple weeks. Here is what my diet has been:

Breakfast: 6-8 egg whites w/cottage cheese
1pk instant oatmeal
1 scoop ON whey

AM snack: PB and cottage cheese sandwich on whole wheat

Lunch: Boiled chicken breast
Either fibrous veggies or sometimes brown rice

afternoon snack: Can tuna on bed of spinach
handful almonds

Workout around 5-5:30

Post workout: 2 scoops ON whey protein
Apple or banana

Dinner: Boiled chicken breast or salmon
Lots of veggies consisting of broccoli, cauliflower and asparagous

Before bed: ON casein protein

Other Supplements: Fish oil capsules
Multi-vitamins

Any help would be great! (sorry for the long post)

darkshadow

Awards
well you got almost a year til your trip so maybe cut some more, add in interval cardio instead of steady state cardio and when your maybe at 12% body fat or so start a clean bulk.....just my opinion since if im not mistaken your test levels are higher at a lower body fat percentage

michaelr7170

Awards
Thanks for the input.. I have been considering adding some HIIT on bike to my program so I'll give it a go.. I think I'm going to continue cutting throughout the month of may and see where I am in june

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i agree. cut down to 12% or so and lean bulk your way up. or just recomp from where you're at till you hit 12% - this takes longer, and then lean bulk. i think once you hit sub 15% body fat you'll be much more confident with your gains.