5 day split or total body routine?

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
hi everyone,

what routine would put on the most size and mass in the shortest amount of time?(diet will be in-check, just wanna know what routine would work best)

Split routine-
Monday- Shoulders/Abs
Tuesday- Arms/Calves
Wednesday- Legs/Abs
Thursday- Off/Calves
Friday- Chest/Abs
Saturday- Back/Calves

-or-

Total Body-

Monday/Wednesday/Friday-
Powercleans, Squats, Lunges, Flat & Incline Bench, standing shoulder press, push jerk, pullups, bent over rows, and Abs

Thanks a ton!!:006:

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I am more of a fan of total body workouts, with days that emphasize on maybe a lower/upper day.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i like push-pulls 3 day/week

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i prefer total body 3x per week as well. a good foundation is the most important thing in bodybuilding. just make sure you're pushing yourself to do better every workout - one more rep, a little more weight, etc.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
You may want to consider the 20 rep squat routine. It is a true mass and strength builder. Do a M/W/Fr split. You hit every muscle group each day. Put on 10lbs last time I ran it. Do a search, there are some guys running it. Good luck

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Id rather have a split cause i can focus better on a few muscles, then cardio. My problem is i gotta keep my split in my Ipod Touch so i can remember what day i'm at. Lol.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
I was doing a upper/lower split for a while. I do these for some variation :

PUSH,PULL,LEGS, rest

PUSH,LEGS,PULL, rest

PUSH,PULL, rest, LEGS, PUSH, rest, PULL, LEGS, rest, etc....

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
sweet guys!
Thanks all for the advice!
just one question tho,
why is it that bodybuilders do split routines? for more hypertrophy?

UKStrength

sweet guys!
just one question tho,
I believe this is so they can focus more on certain muscle groups and address weaknesses in their physique more directly.

You wouldn't (generally) have enough energy to do this with a total body workout.

I prefer total body workouts to kick off my cutting phases (as they burn a shed-load of calories) and then switch back to hypertrophy regimes as I start to shift the fat.

meatNcreatine

Awards
i personally like 3 day splits

Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Row 5 x 5
abs

WED
Squat 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Press 5 x 5

FRI
same as mon w/ skull crushers and curls 3-4 x 10 - 12

eh, simple i guess

muzz

Awards
You may want to consider the 20 rep squat routine. It is a true mass and strength builder. Do a M/W/Fr split. You hit every muscle group each day. Put on 10lbs last time I ran it. Do a search, there are some guys running it. Good luck
i started the 20 rep squat program and loved it, however i had to stop due to too much knee pain but my knees had been bad for a while before i started 20 rep squats. give it a try, i bet you'll like it.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
does it matter which exercises I do for the MWF total body? I'm going to be doing lots of compound exercises like stated above-powercleans, Squats, Lunges, Flat & Incline Bench, standing shoulder press, push jerk, pullups, bent over rows, and Abs

My question is should i do certain ones on certain days or just one for each body part each workout?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
sweet guys!
just one question tho,
to build up their body, part by part. this split is after a foundation is built, and for example, they want to build up their rear delts or rear triceps to match the rest of their physique.

total body workouts put on more size, on a pound for pound level, but at some point, you have to focus on symmetry and proportions, so you need a more traditional split.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
does it matter which exercises I do for the MWF total body? I'm going to be doing lots of compound exercises like stated above-powercleans, Squats, Lunges, Flat & Incline Bench, standing shoulder press, push jerk, pullups, bent over rows, and Abs

My question is should i do certain ones on certain days or just one for each body part each workout?
one compound movement per body part. try to use the same exercises on MWF, and keep progressing on reps or weights. for example, on wednesday go for one more rep on each set, friday the same, etc. when you can do 10-12 reps, up the weight and drop down to 6 reps, etc. the biggest downfall of a total body workout, is most people don't increase the weights at least twice a month.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
one compound movement per body part. try to use the same exercises on MWF, and keep progressing on reps or weights. for example, on wednesday go for one more rep on each set, friday the same, etc. when you can do 10-12 reps, up the weight and drop down to 6 reps, etc. the biggest downfall of a total body workout, is most people don't increase the weights at least twice a month.
So one compound movement per body part for M/W/F? How many reps and sets since its only one exercise for each muscle (assuming thats what you meant).

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
I prefer full body routines and/or 3 day splits.

Full body is superior for beginners because seven days rest isn't needed between training a specific muscle group.

Usually, IMO, 5 days of training isn't necessary unless you're on performance enhancing anabolics.