very short bulking / cutting phases

elliotuk

elliotuk

Awards
I gather from reading a lot of threads that most people spend several months bulking and a few weeks cutting.

I read somewhere that one method you can do is to bulk and cut in very short periods. One source I read said that some people just bulk for 2 weeks then cut for 1 week. 2 weeks/ 1 week /2 weeks / 1 week always like that and this constantly shocks the body.

Has anyone tried this or know if such short phases work?

UKStrength

I tried this method a while ago, putting on a few clean pounds. I think Derek Charlebois over at BB.com had an article on it.

I used it for a couple of months, it's as good as any other method but not efficient at 'bulking' or 'cutting' if you get my drift. However, it's probably better for you psychologically as you're never shovelling a shed-load of calories down or surviving on the requirements of an 8-year old girl girl for months at a time :)

By the end of it, I felt that if you're strict with your bulk (i.e. don't go crazy with the calories in one go), using smaller calorie increments to put on mass, you shouldn't put on much fat at all, giving you the ubiquitous 'lean bulk'. Similarly if you're sensible with your cutting, shaving off a few 100 calories at a time, it shouldn't be too taxing.

It all boils down to managing your nutrition on a daily basis, I think over-complicating things with 'cycles' and 'high' and 'low' days just makes things more difficult and provides very little in the way of real world results.

lamboruns

Awards
I am trying a clean recomp instead. I weighed both options. I keep my cals at or below maintanance on off days. On workout days I up the cals to 500-600 over by adding in extra carbs and fat. I keep my Protein at a 150-175g per day baseline.

Seems to be working feel great.

UKStrength

I am trying a clean recomp instead. I weighed both options. I keep my cals at or below maintanance on off days. On workout days I up the cals to 500-600 over by adding in extra carbs and fat. I keep my Protein at a 150-175g per day baseline.

Seems to be working feel great.
This is essentially what I use nowadays ^^^ except my protein intake is much greater (closer to 300g/day).

I try to stay pretty lean all year round, upping my calories even more on workout days when 'bulking'.