Lean Bulk?

  1. New Member
    redrocket399's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    294
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    27.47%

    Lean Bulk?


    Hey everyone!

    Whats your thought on it?
    I ended an all out bulk end of February since November. Gained 25lbs, with increase of 3% bodyfat.
    Been cutting for the past month and a half but have noticed a decrease in muscle size.. dropped 11lbs and 2%bf.. Now im contemplating whether or not to start a Lean Bulk.
    Can it be done well? My diet and training is spot on. but can be adjusted anytime if needed.
    If it can be done, do i still take weightgainers such as ON ProComplex Gainer?
    What routine would yall recommend? Surplus in calories or maintainence? Cycle carbs?

    Thanks for the support guys!

  2. New Member
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    283
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    82.93%

    it can be done but it is much more difficult. what is your BF% currently. if it is under aprox. 7% then it will be more difficult than someone who is at a level such as 9-12%. need more info in order to help. current diet plan, current routine, currnet cardio. etc
  3. New Member
    redrocket399's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    294
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    27.47%

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    it can be done but it is much more difficult. what is your BF% currently. if it is under aprox. 7% then it will be more difficult than someone who is at a level such as 9-12%. need more info in order to help. current diet plan, current routine, currnet cardio. etc
    Hey Matt,
    thanks for the help. Im currently sitting at 11%.
    my routine looks like this:
    Monday- Shoulders/Abs/HIIT Cardio
    Tuesday- Arms/Calves
    Wednesday- Legs/Abs/HIIT Cardio
    Thursday- off
    Friday- Chest/Abs/HIIT Cardio
    Saturday- Back/Calves

    Diet- 3500cals 500surplus /45%Pro/45%Carbs/10%Fat
    Staple supps: MultiV, Fish Oils, CLA, Different Proteins, BCAAs, Glutamine

    Any suggestions?
    I wanna try and gain at least 10 more lbs with no more that 2%increase in BF... can that be done?
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    wild12's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    65.29%

    One method of lean bulk you could do is to eat at or below maintenance calories, while keeping your protein intake extremely high. This will make your body not put on any body fat, but still give you enough protein for muscle growth. I'm not sure how efficient it would be for the amount of weight you want to put on...but its an idea. I did this for about a month and put on probably 6-7lbs of muscle i'd say.
  5. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by wild12 View Post
    One method of lean bulk you could do is to eat at or below maintenance calories, while keeping your protein intake extremely high. This will make your body not put on any body fat, but still give you enough protein for muscle growth. I'm not sure how efficient it would be for the amount of weight you want to put on...but its an idea. I did this for about a month and put on probably 6-7lbs of muscle i'd say.
    6-7lbs of muscle in a month! What were you running mate!

    I agree though, the trick is to increase your calories very slowly (perhaps 200kcal a week above maintenance). Watch the scales and body measurements to make sure you're gaining mass in the right places.

    Another method would be to calorie cycle, eat above maintenance on workout days and below maintenance on non-workout/rest/cardio-only days.

    Some people like to manipulate their carbohydrate intake using this method (carb cycling) which can be effective in promoting a more fat oxidative environment on days off.
  6. New Member
    sgravy21's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    77
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    64.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post

    Another method would be to calorie cycle, eat above maintenance on workout days and below maintenance on non-workout/rest/cardio-only days.

    Some people like to manipulate their carbohydrate intake using this method (carb cycling) which can be effective in promoting a more fat oxidative environment on days off.
    I do something very similar to this and have had pretty good success. Just have to be careful not to take in too many carbs when you do. Its a matter of playing with it and seeing how you add fat/lose fat with the number of calories you are taking in. Same goes for a regular diet as far as adding/subtracting so that you are gaining muscle, with minimal fat gain.
  7. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by sgravy21 View Post
    I do something very similar to this and have had pretty good success. Just have to be careful not to take in too many carbs when you do. Its a matter of playing with it and seeing how you add fat/lose fat with the number of calories you are taking in. Same goes for a regular diet as far as adding/subtracting so that you are gaining muscle, with minimal fat gain.
    Yeah it's a nice protocol.

    I prefer it to cycling 'weeks' of bulking and cutting, it makes more sense from a physiological point of view to change up your diet based on the activity you're doing e.g. resistance training - higher carbohydrates and protein, low fat to stimulate protein synthesis to the max.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. lean bulk
    By classic27 in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 01:01 AM
  2. 1st Lean Bulk
    By bigbrock in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 11:16 AM
  3. Help with lean bulk
    By Davidlee in forum Bulking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
  4. lean bulk
    By classic27 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM
  5. Oatmeal meatloaf (lean Bulk/Bulk)
    By sundevil04 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in