Lean Bulk?

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone!

Whats your thought on it?
I ended an all out bulk end of February since November. Gained 25lbs, with increase of 3% bodyfat.
Been cutting for the past month and a half but have noticed a decrease in muscle size.. dropped 11lbs and 2%bf.. Now im contemplating whether or not to start a Lean Bulk.
Can it be done well? My diet and training is spot on. but can be adjusted anytime if needed.
If it can be done, do i still take weightgainers such as ON ProComplex Gainer?
What routine would yall recommend? Surplus in calories or maintainence? Cycle carbs?

Thanks for the support guys!

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
it can be done but it is much more difficult. what is your BF% currently. if it is under aprox. 7% then it will be more difficult than someone who is at a level such as 9-12%. need more info in order to help. current diet plan, current routine, currnet cardio. etc

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
it can be done but it is much more difficult. what is your BF% currently. if it is under aprox. 7% then it will be more difficult than someone who is at a level such as 9-12%. need more info in order to help. current diet plan, current routine, currnet cardio. etc
Hey Matt,
thanks for the help. Im currently sitting at 11%.
my routine looks like this:
Monday- Shoulders/Abs/HIIT Cardio
Tuesday- Arms/Calves
Wednesday- Legs/Abs/HIIT Cardio
Thursday- off
Friday- Chest/Abs/HIIT Cardio
Saturday- Back/Calves

Diet- 3500cals 500surplus /45%Pro/45%Carbs/10%Fat
Staple supps: MultiV, Fish Oils, CLA, Different Proteins, BCAAs, Glutamine

Any suggestions?
I wanna try and gain at least 10 more lbs with no more that 2%increase in BF... can that be done?

wild12

Awards
One method of lean bulk you could do is to eat at or below maintenance calories, while keeping your protein intake extremely high. This will make your body not put on any body fat, but still give you enough protein for muscle growth. I'm not sure how efficient it would be for the amount of weight you want to put on...but its an idea. I did this for about a month and put on probably 6-7lbs of muscle i'd say.

UKStrength

One method of lean bulk you could do is to eat at or below maintenance calories, while keeping your protein intake extremely high. This will make your body not put on any body fat, but still give you enough protein for muscle growth. I'm not sure how efficient it would be for the amount of weight you want to put on...but its an idea. I did this for about a month and put on probably 6-7lbs of muscle i'd say.
6-7lbs of muscle in a month! What were you running mate! ;)

I agree though, the trick is to increase your calories very slowly (perhaps 200kcal a week above maintenance). Watch the scales and body measurements to make sure you're gaining mass in the right places.

Another method would be to calorie cycle, eat above maintenance on workout days and below maintenance on non-workout/rest/cardio-only days.

Some people like to manipulate their carbohydrate intake using this method (carb cycling) which can be effective in promoting a more fat oxidative environment on days off.

sgravy21

Awards
Another method would be to calorie cycle, eat above maintenance on workout days and below maintenance on non-workout/rest/cardio-only days.

Some people like to manipulate their carbohydrate intake using this method (carb cycling) which can be effective in promoting a more fat oxidative environment on days off.
I do something very similar to this and have had pretty good success. Just have to be careful not to take in too many carbs when you do. Its a matter of playing with it and seeing how you add fat/lose fat with the number of calories you are taking in. Same goes for a regular diet as far as adding/subtracting so that you are gaining muscle, with minimal fat gain.

UKStrength

I do something very similar to this and have had pretty good success. Just have to be careful not to take in too many carbs when you do. Its a matter of playing with it and seeing how you add fat/lose fat with the number of calories you are taking in. Same goes for a regular diet as far as adding/subtracting so that you are gaining muscle, with minimal fat gain.
Yeah it's a nice protocol.

I prefer it to cycling 'weeks' of bulking and cutting, it makes more sense from a physiological point of view to change up your diet based on the activity you're doing e.g. resistance training - higher carbohydrates and protein, low fat to stimulate protein synthesis to the max.