bulking is giving me awful acne

Hathaway

Awards
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to bulk since January, and I've gained about 13 pounds since I started. However, I'm starting to experience horrible acne, and since I work in sales, it's really starting to hurt.

I eat a LOT of peanut butter, and since I stopped eating it, it's starting to clear up. I switched to Natty PB back in february, but even then, the acne continued.

I use an apricot facial cleanser, and switched from proactiv to Clean and Clear acne medication. It's a three step process 2 times daily, and that's barely helping.

What can I do to hit 220 pounds while not looking like I'm 17 years old?!

(I'm almost 24 and acne is ridiculous. This is the worst I've ever had, and it's embarrassing.)
Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you know, its possible that the oils in the peanut butter caused the acne. its also possible that the mono fats have raised your test levels which caused acne as a byproduct of more test.

aside from the acne, did you FEEL better while on the peanut butter (more alpha feeling)?

regardless, i'd add it back into your diet, and try the oxy pads 3-4x per day - though that's really a personal decision. you can also consume it like one day on, two days off, etc and see if that helps with the issue. don't know what else to say man.

Hathaway

Awards
Ok. I figured it had something to do with the hydrogenated oils, so I switched to Natty. I'll just have Natty on lifting days, in a post workout shake. I used to have it 2-3 times daily. I'll see if that helps.

Thanks!

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Hey not all 17 year olds have spots :p, if its really bothering you you could get some research accutine and self treat

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
More fiber and antioxidants and water. Bam.

MikeMagz1013

Awards
If its really really bad look into Acutane. Its a very strong prescription that comes in oral pill form. It can have some harmful side effects though, but honestly all that stuff might be worth it. I've talked to some people and they say its really changed their lives.

redline2101

Awards
I had to go on Accutane and it was the worst 6 months ever, but it destroyed my acne and I have perfect skin now, and that's after trying tons of other prescribed medications and having NO results. Something I found though or mild/moderate acne is baking soda and water. You make a paste with it and put it on then let it dry out all the way and wash it off. It clears up any breakouts i get quickly and easily, its just messy when it dries up because it flakes all over. Give it a try though, it also works for other skin ailments.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
I had to go on Accutane and it was the worst 6 months ever, but it destroyed my acne and I have perfect skin now, and that's after trying tons of other prescribed medications and having NO results. Something I found though or mild/moderate acne is baking soda and water. You make a paste with it and put it on then let it dry out all the way and wash it off. It clears up any breakouts i get quickly and easily, its just messy when it dries up because it flakes all over. Give it a try though, it also works for other skin ailments.
I've heard of and used the toothpaste method, which is similar...but I wouldn't recommend it. It works, but not really the way that you would want it too.

I think this method would probably be better, have less side effects. I might try it sometime.

I think just having the nat PB 1x per day, at night, would be best. Also, I've heard proactive is pretty good, so maybe you should go back to it. I've never used it myself, but my sister and roomates said they've tried it. Maybe you can use the c&c additionally? Is it spot treatment?

How clean is your bulk? If you are just eating crap, you are gonna look like crap too. You need a clean bulk to help stave off acne, IMO.

My sister also used accutane too, but there are side effects with it. It's basically just a huge dose of vitamin A - bad for your liver, increases chances of sunburn, etc. (If I remember correctly.) So, try working on diet first. Also fixes your diet isn't going to make it go away instantly. I think acne is delayed. (e.g. if you eat junk, you won't notice extra acne until the 3rd, 4th, 5th day...and once you eat clean, it may take a week to clear up.)

Remember, OVER drying can cause acne too! Any irritation, such as touching the face repeatedly, or with dirty hands, overdrying, etc. can cause acne, so use a moisturized that doesn't clog pores. I use Aveeno. and my facial cleanser is Purpose.

Also, wash your pillow case! I don't know if it helps, but I think using a dirty pillow case is disgusting, especially if I've been drooling. I wash it at least once a week.

Anyways, hope you figure it out! Good luck!

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Def switch up your diet. The oils in PB and Natty PB can cause acne, but so can raising your test levels, as mentioned. Raising your test levels is basically what you are aiming for. I would try the every other day method of PB or switch to another quick and easy snack like hard boiled eggs. Great 6grams of protein for 3 bites.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Def switch up your diet. The oils in PB and Natty PB can cause acne, but so can raising your test levels, as mentioned. Raising your test levels is basically what you are aiming for. I would try the every other day method of PB or switch to another quick and easy snack like hard boiled eggs. Great 6grams of protein for 3 bites.
thats what i was thinking.

shotdead42

Awards
hey yo, u and me the same lol. im 16 and tryin to bulk up; currently taking ON serous mass, and im geting HORRIBLE acne more then i am naturally getting.
but DEF worth it, i gained about a good 10 to maybe even 13lbs in a month

i already get alot of acne as it is, and if i eat Nuts,PB,etc... anything that oily. i KNOW ill break out the next day.

But recently i'v bin getting less lazy and im washing my face more and more.
i used to us Pro Active, but my face got used toit and wasnt as effective,

i switched to SkinID, and u do this evaluation and stuff, and it reduced alot of redness in my face; i still get those Sore pimples, but its getting better.

IMO its just wen ur bulking you gatta work harder keeper the acne down.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I assume you are using diet, not AAS, to bulk, which is good.

Now when I was younger I had the WORST acne so I know all the tricks.

1. None prescription: The tooth paste method works okay. Wash your face before bed and when you wake up and hit it with an acne soup and those alcohol pads, oxy clean pads or something.

2. Prescription: Differin gel is pretty good and not like accutane. I was on accutane for about 6 months and don't recommend it. I didn't get any of the psychological sides but my skin got so dry I was practically shedding skin like a snake. It was more embarrassing than the acne.

If you want to change your diet you can get something like weight-gainer 2200 or up the in-water fish to reduce oils.

Good luck bro.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Sweat and dirt can clog pores and sometimes causes acne. I noticed a big improvement by simply washing my face with soap and water, or even just cleaning off the sweat with water, immediately after working out - but it is best to just hit the shower immediately after exercise.

Cardio also improved my skin. I sweat a lot more doing cardio than lifting weights; I suppose the sweat pushes out junk, then hit the shower and voila, clearer skin.

When I was a teenager I used to eat a lot of pumpkin seeds and had horrible acne... I could not skeep at night because it hurt. Anyway, after trying different remedies my mom took me to the doctor and I got some kind of antibiotic, tetracycline I believe, and it cleared off after a month or two.

I hope yours clears up soon.

tattoopierced1

like texastitan said, raise up your water intake. You should be using cleaners too, but most people overlook water intake and this can help greatly.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
I don't know why this hasn't been said, you could just be allergic to peanuts. Food allergies can manifest themselves as skin conditions (think rashes, etc).

A lot of people online profess drastic improvement in acne through changes in diet, usually through avoidance of common allergy foods. I would just avoid peanut butter for a while. If that works, try switching to almond butter.

A lot of indigenous people who were studied had zero incidence of acne before introduction of modern lifestyles and diets. That should probably be proof enough, but its not for a lot a dermatologists...I guess they can't bottle up diet and sell it to you for thousands of dollars.