body fat scales

B

browns1234

Awards
about 3 months ago i weighed in at 194 and used a caliper to measure body fat...which was around 10 percent and yesterday i used a hand held body fat scale and it posted an 18 percent..im around 208 now and realize i would gain some fat while bulking..but i eat clean and dont notice any major fat gains

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
While they both have around the same standard error (~3.5%), hand-helds take a little bit of practice to use properly and depend upon many factors (e.g. hand position, hydration, etc.). You're also assuming that the caliper reading was accurately taken as well.

B

browns1234

Awards
ya i would like to think the caliper was right..but would checking body fat after a work out affect the hydration part

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
ya i would like to think the caliper was right..but would checking body fat after a work out affect the hydration part
Yes. Remember, hydration is not just optimal water, but also electrolytes. Many replenish the water while training, but few replenish the salts lost.

B

browns1234

Awards
its not something im going to worry about because i know my body and conditioning and it is not that high