Hard Gainer

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
I've played the bulking game for a long time now and don't seem to gain much weight. I currently weigh around 168 and would like to get up to 175-180. I lift 5 days a week. I've been trying a new diet that consists of 3600 to 3900 calories a day. I also am taking in around 280 grams of protein along with around 240 carbs a day. Is this going to be enough to put on a solid 10 lbs? Any help would be great!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Simple math:
280g protein~1120 kcals
240g carbs~960 kcals
Total=2080 kcals

I highly doubt you're eating over 160g of fat per day, which is about what you would need to make that nearly add up to 3600 kcals.

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
My maintenance is 2600 so I'm looking to get 1000 to 1200 over that a day.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
If you lift 5 days a week when do you recover and grow?

How much do you sleep every night?

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
I take 2 days off a week to recover. I sleep about 8 hours a night depends on my schedule. I eat every 2 hours and maintain a good diet. Its just going to take time I've already gained 3 lbs in a week and a half so it's a matter of time.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I take 2 days off a week to recover. I sleep about 8 hours a night depends on my schedule. I eat every 2 hours and maintain a good diet. Its just going to take time I've already gained 3 lbs in a week and a half so it's a matter of time.
I prefer the every other day method of lifting with LI cardio. On the off days you can hit the gym and do some non-core routines and HI cardio. Your muscles will actually regenerate that night when you sleep and the next day as well, based on your protein comsumption.

I ask about the sleep because good sleep is key to growing. Our bodies conduct Protein-synthesis ( the process of converting protein into muscle, to rebuild the muscle that is torn on our daily activities) during high REM sleep. High REM sleep comes from a solid sleep pattern. 8 hour is perfect I'm actually jealous.

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
Here is a breakdown of my diet. My snacks are not always the same everyday but this is a breakdown of what I consume daily. At times I switch the order of snacks or replace certain things with peanuts or more fruit. Just depends on what food I have at the house and what my schedule is like. Every morning I take a multivitamin and fish oil.

Breakfast: 3 eggs
Bowl of oatmeal
2 pieces of toast
Glass of whole milk

Snack: yogurt
1 serving of natty peanut butter

Pre-workout: Protein shake with half and half and fruit

Post workout: Protein shake with half and half and fruit

Snack: Tuna (mixed with mayo) on bread (2 sandwiches)
Glass of whole milk

Snack: 1 serving peanut butter
Baked potato w/ sour cream & shredded cheese (occasionally)

Dinner: Chicken breast or fish
Mixed vegetables

Before Bed Snack: Cottage cheese and Protein shake