Hard Gainer

1. Hard Gainer

I've played the bulking game for a long time now and don't seem to gain much weight. I currently weigh around 168 and would like to get up to 175-180. I lift 5 days a week. I've been trying a new diet that consists of 3600 to 3900 calories a day. I also am taking in around 280 grams of protein along with around 240 carbs a day. Is this going to be enough to put on a solid 10 lbs? Any help would be great!

2. Simple math:
    280g protein~1120 kcals
    240g carbs~960 kcals
    Total=2080 kcals

I highly doubt you're eating over 160g of fat per day, which is about what you would need to make that nearly add up to 3600 kcals.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. What's your maintenance kcal level?

4. My maintenance is 2600 so I'm looking to get 1000 to 1200 over that a day.

5. Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell) hopefully that helps. without seeing a breakdown of your diet, there's not much else i can say.
    •   

6. If you lift 5 days a week when do you recover and grow?

How much do you sleep every night?

7. I take 2 days off a week to recover. I sleep about 8 hours a night depends on my schedule. I eat every 2 hours and maintain a good diet. Its just going to take time I've already gained 3 lbs in a week and a half so it's a matter of time.

8. Quote Originally Posted by lemke28 View Post
    I take 2 days off a week to recover. I sleep about 8 hours a night depends on my schedule. I eat every 2 hours and maintain a good diet. Its just going to take time I've already gained 3 lbs in a week and a half so it's a matter of time.
    I prefer the every other day method of lifting with LI cardio. On the off days you can hit the gym and do some non-core routines and HI cardio. Your muscles will actually regenerate that night when you sleep and the next day as well, based on your protein comsumption.

I ask about the sleep because good sleep is key to growing. Our bodies conduct Protein-synthesis ( the process of converting protein into muscle, to rebuild the muscle that is torn on our daily activities) during high REM sleep. High REM sleep comes from a solid sleep pattern. 8 hour is perfect I'm actually jealous.

9. Here is a breakdown of my diet. My snacks are not always the same everyday but this is a breakdown of what I consume daily. At times I switch the order of snacks or replace certain things with peanuts or more fruit. Just depends on what food I have at the house and what my schedule is like. Every morning I take a multivitamin and fish oil.

Breakfast: 3 eggs
    Bowl of oatmeal
    2 pieces of toast
    Glass of whole milk

Snack: yogurt
    1 serving of natty peanut butter

Pre-workout: Protein shake with half and half and fruit

Post workout: Protein shake with half and half and fruit

Snack: Tuna (mixed with mayo) on bread (2 sandwiches)
    Glass of whole milk

Snack: 1 serving peanut butter
    Baked potato w/ sour cream & shredded cheese (occasionally)

Dinner: Chicken breast or fish
    Mixed vegetables

Before Bed Snack: Cottage cheese and Protein shake
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hard gainer needing help/tips
    By ThaDook in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
  2. hard gainer needs prohormone advice
    By just030 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17