bulking for the first time...

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.5%

bulking for the first time...

Hello all. I am new here at anabolic minds but I have been around the block on the body building forums for quite some time.

I have always read about bulking up but I never thought it applied to me because I have such a hard time gaining weight. You see, up until about 2 years ago I was plagued with Crohn's disease and could not gain weight for the life of me. I lived with this from the time I was 15 till I was 28. I got on a medicine and I believe that it broke the vicious cycle I was in and allowed my stomach to heal, therefore allowing my body to absorb nutrients and protein as it is supposed to.

Now fast forward two years later and I have been back in the gym for about a year, but never made any changes to my diet. I had a regular diet of about 3 square meals a day...maybe 2000 calories/day. The gym made me feel good about myself, but the only thing that was happening appearence wise was leaning out. Im already about 5% BF and thats the last thing I wanted to do.

So here I am bulking up for the first time. Over the past month or so I have been averaging about 4000-5000 calories daily, 200G Protein, 500G Carbs, and 160G Fat. I am putting on weight quickly and it is starting to scare me a bit. I went from 160 to 171 in a month. I am just under 6'1" so I am still under my ideal weight.

Do you guys think this is my body playing catch up? Is this normal? What changes should I make to my diet and how should my fat/protein/carb ratio pan out?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get informed on this new bulking process.

DIET:

7:00AM
    Bagel with cream cheese
    Protein shake

11:00AM
    8oz Baked chicken breast with skin
    Green beans w/ sesame seeds
    White rice pilaf
    32oz The Hulk with extra whey from Smoothie King

5:00PM
    The Hulk shake (before workout)
    Protein shake post workout

8:00PM
    Hungry Man chicken dinner

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.46%

how qualitative is the weight?... is it in the form of muscle, fat , water... ?

if you're eating 4000 - 5000 calories over just 3 - 4 meals... it's basically coming to let's just say 1500 calories per meal. I don't know about others, but I got DAMN FAT by eating like that, despite my workouts.

I say the most important thing for now is to have 6 meals a day. Spread them over 2 - 3 hours. The whole point of more frequent meals is to keep insulin in control and metabolism steady.

excess carbs in one instant of time -> excess insulin produced -> increased fat storage

About the macro ratios (p c f ), it's best someone else answers that.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.5%

Ok great. It seems the weight is mainly fat and water. Thats basically what I was cocnerned about. I need to keep my carb count in check which I believe is a bit on the high side right now. My metabolism is through the roof so I guess that would be the positive side of that. maybe my diet could go like this.

7:00AM
    Bagel cream cheese
    Protein shake

11:00AM
    8oz Chicken
    green beans
    White rice Pilaf

2:00PM
    32oz The Hulk shake

5:00PM
    The hulk pre workout
    Protein w/ 0carb post workout

8:00PM
    HungryMan chicken dinner
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

breakfast needs eggs. hungry man dinners are too heavily processed. post workout carbs are good for you. you need a snack between breakfast and lunch - 4 hours is a long time. there's also no healthy fat i'm seeing. monounsaturated fat (one of the building blocks of muscle and testosterone) is found in nuts, olive/canola oil, etc and i don't see them anywhere in your diet.

that's all i got. bedtime for me. i'll answer any questions when i wake up
    Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/train...n-s-where.html
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

First off, congratulations on getting better. Sunnys advice looks spot on, 6-8 meals a day, lots of protein. hope all goes well for you!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.5%

Thanks guys. Ill try and add some good fats and spread my meals out a bit. Also, Ill try and add eggs. Most likely microwave them cause I dont have time to cook. Atleast, I am not ready to wake up earlier, and get my daughter off to school just yet. Any suggestions on the fats? What do you guys do for a snack meal in between breakfast and lunch? Maybe a couple bags of peanuts?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.77%

Whole milk, natural peanut butter is where most of my extra fat comes from. But I (and you) could probably start snacking on some other nuts or add them in somewhere.

Between breakfast and lunch snack is whatever you want. Just as always get some form of protein in there.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.5%

Actually I went out and purchased Power Butter by the carton. This stuff rocks. Its easy to eat, portable, and friggin tastes better than peanut butter. Good stuff.

Now I have the butter before workout in between my breakfast and meal post workout, and then one rright before my third meal. Works great.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.13%

Yeah i would definitely say spread out the meals. I would also stick to the healthy fats like others were saying and stay away from the saturated fats and especially the hungry man meals. They tend to have a lot of sodium and aren't very clean. Try to make your meals consist of whole foods(rice, chicken breast, tuna, whole grains, rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc). Hulk shakes are great but they shouldn't be one of your main sources of calories or replace a meal.

Similar Forum Threads

1. bulking up in the summer time??!!
    By Trapstar in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
  2. First cycle/first log.. Bulking time!!
    By bigzach1234 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 03:03 AM
  3. Bulking & Resting [Time Off]
    By mindgamerst in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM
  4. bulking complete/time to cut...HELP
    By 2shortt in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
  5. Replies: 14