help with arms and traps

FOSTER1226

Awards
ok, so my chest, back, legs, everything except for my traps and biceps are big. my chest and back looks ridiculously disproportional to my arms, just wondering what some good all around arm and trap workouts are. thanks

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Traps - - -> Hang Cleans and any other olympic lift that has it in such as clean and jerk, squat cleans etc. They really shock the traps.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
For arms, try cutting back the weight, higher the reps, and concentrate on the contractions and negatives harder. Add in some sort of "burn out" or High rep style finishing set(like a DC set)at the end to finish them off. (they should be burning like hell).

Took me the longest time to "truely" cut back the weight on curls and realize I didnt need to impress anyone moving big weight,.... so Ive cut back from curling 70's, 80's,... and im now seeing better gains with 40's,... just to use as an example.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
What does your routine look like right now? Over-training particular body parts and not realizing it is sometimes the issue.
Show us your workouts.

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I would go with the clean and press that is a good shoulder/arm workout as well.

FOSTER1226

Awards
i do 21's as warmups 3 sets cable curls then i do up against the wall curls. for triceps i do tricep extensions and close grip benches and diamond pushups. and htanks for the tips i'm gona be workin my ass off the next few weeks so i'm hopin to get some results

jsheely

jsheely

Awards
  • Established
i do 21's as warmups 3 sets cable curls then i do up against the wall curls. for triceps i do tricep extensions and close grip benches and diamond pushups. and htanks for the tips i'm gona be workin my ass off the next few weeks so i'm hopin to get some results
How about some straight bar curls. You can combine these with cheat curls too when you get too tired to do strict reps. Also, focus a lot on bringing the weight down slow and squeezing at the top. I don't mean you should be swinging your back and legs to cheat the weight up. After you sets of good, strict straight bar curls, you can load up the weight a little more and start bent forward a bit, and use just a little momentum from straightening out to keep the weight moving up. For my last set of cheat curls I like to strip the weight at the end and do some burn out reps.

For triceps, do some skull crushers. They work wonders for mass. I also like to do strip sets for these and burn out at the end.

FOSTER1226

Awards
i do my 21's with a straight bar and i run the the 7 straight curls i'm supposed to do i usually turn it into 15 regular curls. i forgot about skull crushers, thanks dude i think i'm gona throw another arm workout in during another day to try and get the most i can from it i'll try that stuff out and let u no how i feel hahah

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For arms, try cutting back the weight, higher the reps, and concentrate on the contractions and negatives harder. Add in some sort of "burn out" or High rep style finishing set(like a DC set)at the end to finish them off. (they should be burning like hell).

Took me the longest time to "truely" cut back the weight on curls and realize I didnt need to impress anyone moving big weight,.... so Ive cut back from curling 70's, 80's,... and im now seeing better gains with 40's,... just to use as an example.
Great advice here

I was using 50's and my friend was using 25 pound db and his arms blew up, it wasn't till I cut back the weight that my arms started to get bigger aswell. I'm guessing bad form on my part with the higher weights.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips.

Remember, triceps make up most of the upper arm...

briancogs888

Awards
Totally agree with jsheely. Arnolds theory was you need to expose your body to where you want to be. Cheating straight bar curls are great way to do just that. The brachialis is a big part of the arm too. Many people do not actually isolate the biceps, but instead the brachialis. I have also seen people that have very poor brachialis.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
How about some straight bar curls. You can combine these with cheat curls too when you get too tired to do strict reps. Also, focus a lot on bringing the weight down slow and squeezing at the top. I don't mean you should be swinging your back and legs to cheat the weight up. After you sets of good, strict straight bar curls, you can load up the weight a little more and start bent forward a bit, and use just a little momentum from straightening out to keep the weight moving up. For my last set of cheat curls I like to strip the weight at the end and do some burn out reps.

For triceps, do some skull crushers. They work wonders for mass. I also like to do strip sets for these and burn out at the end.
Cheats curls are a great exercise,.. but the problem is too many people dont get a good contraction up top,.. then a slow, controlled negative downward. They just jerk more weight than they can handle and let the weight fall down, and expect to have huge bi's as a result, lol. Arnold admitted a little "body jerk" was the key for getting up heavy weight,... but the contraction, and controlled negative were the essentials for the exercise.

jsheely

jsheely

Awards
  • Established
Cheats curls are a great exercise,.. but the problem is too many people dont get a good contraction up top,.. then a slow, controlled negative downward. They just jerk more weight than they can handle and let the weight fall down, and expect to have huge bi's as a result, lol. Arnold admitted a little "body jerk" was the key for getting up heavy weight,... but the contraction, and controlled negative were the essentials for the exercise.
Couldn't have said it better myself... I know because i already tried

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Good tips. Reps.

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Theres no substitute for SUPER HEAVY BB shrugs bro..

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
did face down DB shrugs the other day,.... mid back is still gone.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Theres no substitute for SUPER HEAVY BB shrugs bro..
Agreed, I've always kept mine high currently i work up in 5 sets to 610 on my last. now mine are a bit larger than would constitute proportionate to the rest of my body.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established

The arms are often very quick to adapt so change it up often! weight/rep modding. German volume training.... be creative!

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
ok heres some for ya
Bi's everything is 4sets 8-12 reps
Straight bar or eazy curl bar (curls or 21's)
weighted chin ups
Incline DB curls
One arm concentration curls
2 arm cable curls Light weight brun the **** out of em
tris everything 4sets 8-12 reps
Skullcrushers superset close grip bench (i use easy curl bar)
tricep pushdowns straight bar
dips (weighted)
one arm reverse grip pushdowns (or 2 arm)
burn out with kickbacks

after my arm workouts my arms look twice the size and like they are ready to rip through my skin thats just one of my workouts every week is something different your arms adapt very quickly so you always gotta change it up, once i started this workout with added calories and protein my arms blew up!!!
for traps
Barbell shrugs first set 20 reps i start with 135 on the bar then 3sets of 8-12 reps getting heavier
Db Shrugs light weight focus on the contraction and up right rows with a 45lb plate seem to hit my traps amazingly!!
sorry for the long post

FOSTER1226

Awards
wow thanks guys lol i'm gona give all this **** a try last week i did clean and jerks, for some reason i can't power clean that much i never have been able to, it just never seems to add up why i can't, i can shoulder press more than i can power clean its getting ridiculous, but my traps were ripped to shreds after doing a couple sets of them to the point i culdn't work em anymore so i just did some concentration curls and i've been doing dips a lot still just workin body weight on the dips cause already they are a lot bigger than my biceps, i've still been stickin wiht 21's and cheat curls too, seein a little bit of a result from last week justa little more cut, i'm alreayd gettin wayy more solid too after a couple workouts so i'm hopin i see a big gain within the next month or two, thanks a lot guys, o and if anyone has any input on the controlled labs stuff let me know cause i'm debating on buyin it or not, again, thanks a ton and anymore workouts or anything new to try let me know