Pain in shoulder while doing chest

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Hey all. I have been experiencing pain in my shoulders while benching, doing flys, almost any chest excersize. On back days or shoulder days i have no pain at all. Especially after bench or incline my shoulder hurts.

at first it felt like a cramped muscle but when the pain got worse it started feeling like maybe its my joints. any feedback?

note: im 21 years old, i do not take fish oils or scissus

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
Any chance it is your rotocuff and just the angle in which you are benching? Is it more noticable with a bar or dumbells? And any more noticable on decline, incline, flat, butterflies, etc?

Stangtuner

Stangtuner

Awards
Does this feel as if it's IN your shoulder? Or outside around the muscle?

I get the same pain, right in the center inside of my shoulder. With some very lengthy stretching and a warm shower it totally goes away. Does'nt come back for maybe 2 workouts.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Hey all. I have been experiencing pain in my shoulders while benching, doing flys, almost any chest excersize. On back days or shoulder days i have no pain at all. Especially after bench or incline my shoulder hurts.

at first it felt like a cramped muscle but when the pain got worse it started feeling like maybe its my joints. any feedback?

Shouder dislocations. had same problem, started doing those, problem solved. that is of course, if you dont have some sort of underlying problem.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
hurts from all chest excersizes. i think the machine flys aggrivate it the worst. yesterday i started off with incline bar doing 185 and immediately it hurt, and it was like that for the rest of my workout.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Does this feel as if it's IN your shoulder? Or outside around the muscle?

I get the same pain, right in the center inside of my shoulder. With some very lengthy stretching and a warm shower it totally goes away. Does'nt come back for maybe 2 workouts.

it feels like its around my shoulder, particularly the rear deltoid and even into the shoulderblade sometimes. if i massage it with my hand it starts to feel better but i dunno if its the actual massage or if its the time. because the pain does subside fairly quickly, within 5 minutes. but it flares up immediately after another set!

Heartless88

Heartless88

Awards
probly its a strained ac joint or you have a tear.
stop working it out for a few days
should get it checked
the tear could be anywhere
bad bad bad

why r boy such idiots and continue to keep working out
making **** worse.:toofunny:

I

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
Try a light warm up, followed by a chest and should stretch. Pull your shoulders in whilst benching.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
probly its a strained ac joint or you have a tear.
stop working it out for a few days
should get it checked
the tear could be anywhere
bad bad bad

why r boy such idiots and continue to keep working out
making **** worse.:toofunny:
i doubt its a tear.

im thinking fish oils will help it out or possably glucosamine

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
you know what i read up on that. i think your right. but my pain is very minor and almost no existant unless i use super heavy weight. so my guess is that its a very mild injury and i better quit now before it gets worse!

Heartless88

Heartless88

Awards
Ye u shud stop. it could start making noice. and just weakens it and tears or scar tissue idk. get it chekd too.
my knee suks and makes noise and when i get all all fours my right knee cap slips and i dont have good balance. or when i do lungdges it is harder wablly.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
how long do you think it would take to heal? if i take a week or 2 off and it doesnt get better i should see a doctor huh?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have this same issue, Just went to the chiropractor yesterday and he explained what is wrong with my shoulder. He did some adjustments and my shoulder feels a lot better. I havent tested it out yet to see if it hurts while benching though. Tuesday is my chest day so i'll let u know then how it feels. It may be your best bet to get your shoulder realigned.

I thought i was going to need surgery, he said he could fix it on the spot, i was very relieved to hear that.

Heartless88

Heartless88

Awards
yea but i go to a chiropracter to and sumtimes they are in it for the money.. ur right it might need to be aligned but benching alot is bad. and it might be more then then that go to a sports medicine dotor or w.e to get a thuro exam dont work out on it ull cause scar tissue and that is hard to fix
and as for joeymuts ur chiro is an idiot if he did not remind you to rest it for several weeks. ur just going to mess it up again. one adjustment does not do the miracle trick

and if u do continue do less weight

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
hey thanks for the feedback i will definately try that. ill call some chiropractor places right now. but in the meanwhile i read on the net that pushups shouldnt bother it or one arm dumbell press so maybe ill try that until he can fix it.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I think I have the same issue in my right shoulder. Does it hurt if you extend your arm outwards, then while extended, turn your hand (as if trying to open a door)? Another, is when you bring your arm across your your chest (as if hugging yourself with one arm). Mine has gotten a bit better since taking super cissus rx.
What I realized, is that if I do dumbbell presses, not to come down too low. I try not to pass parallel when doing those. I have stopped free weight chest exercises for now. Just doing seated machine presses. For pushups, consider doing diamond type.

Heartless88

Heartless88

Awards
try t-nation [dot] com
replace the dot with a .

search bench press blow outs

good info

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
why does this bullshit happen to me.... i never get injured. i think ill take argenine to increase bloodflow and heal that **** faster!

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
a thought: could be biceps tendon inflammation....alot of people mistake for a shoulder injury...i had the same symptoms...couldnt do any pushing movements...forget flies or pec deck...pulling was ok....spent 5 weeks doing back and legs till it healed...happens from overuse...

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
very possable, appreciate the input. one way or another i gotta lay off the bench press. all well, hello turtel shell back good by chest! :(

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing military or over-head presses? If so, lay off those.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Any chance it is your rotocuff and just the angle in which you are benching? Is it more noticable with a bar or dumbells? And any more noticable on decline, incline, flat, butterflies, etc?
I agree, once I started doing more shoulder and RC workouts my pain has gone down a lot and my bench has gone up dramaticaly

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I agree, once I started doing more shoulder and RC workouts my pain has gone down a lot and my bench has gone up dramaticaly
this is my same experience. dislocations work great, im tellin:rant: ya..

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea but i go to a chiropracter to and sumtimes they are in it for the money.. ur right it might need to be aligned but benching alot is bad. and it might be more then then that go to a sports medicine dotor or w.e to get a thuro exam dont work out on it ull cause scar tissue and that is hard to fix
and as for joeymuts ur chiro is an idiot if he did not remind you to rest it for several weeks. ur just going to mess it up again. one adjustment does not do the miracle trick

and if u do continue do less weight
I don't know man, I hit shoulders up the next day and i feel great no shoulder problems at all, I think you may have it backwards bro, a few people i've talked to said Just one trip to the chiropractor for an alignment is all you need. They tell you to come back so they can make money. I'll be going back twice this week just cause it felt great to have everything cracked and i want to have everything working right. After this I'll cut it down to once a month.

S

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i have the same problem. i stopped going all the way down and touching my chest. once u go past parallel it starts 2 lift ur shoulders so go about 1 inch form ur chest

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
yeah but then you cant bounce it off your chest, so you can do more weight to look cooler in front of people!!lol lol.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Might need to strengthen your shoulders, as others have said i find this to minimize pain.

Back when i truly didnt know how to bench press i used alot of shoulders. Something that my workout partner thought was correct until he benched 235 with his shoulders injuring himself and being put on the self for 6 months.

Guess now he'll listen to me.

D

drussell4801

Awards
buster,

I'm a nationally certified massage therapist. I've dealt with problems similar to this.

Earlier in the thread someone suggested that your subscapularis was possibly torn. While this is a possiblity, I tend to believe that the muscles which protract the scapula(google: protraction of scapula) are more likely the culprits(serratus anterior and pec major/minor). You should get a massage and mention your problems to your massage therapist.. ask them to work on your SITS muscles(rotator cuff), your serratus anterior, and your pec minor. Get them to go real deep especially on the pec minor. You will be sore for a day or two from the massage if they did it right. After 3-4 days, go back in the gym, do your chest workout AFTER doing a lot of stretching right before. Bet you it helps.

Also, it was mentioned that you should go to a chiropractor. I just wanted to add that ALMOST ALL of the well-known professional bodybuilders in the world are under chiropractic care. They don't just go to waste their money... chiropractic is essential for us weightlifters.. I get adjusted 2-3 times a week. (it doesn't hurt that I do massage at a chiropractors office and get free adjustments :) )

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
My front delt does that, because I was using a lot of shoulders to lift instead of my chest. It always feels perfect the next day, but its a burning pain. Similar?

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

sweatntears

sweatntears

Awards
I had same shoulder pain in right shoulder. Went to DB presses and cable flies pulling from bottom. Cable on both sides with D handles...arms out to sides with hands at about waist level, elbows slightly bent, palms forward, pull cables to front just above waist turning palms up, touch handles in center and push up to eye level, pause and reverse movement back to sides. NO more shoulder pain for me and way more size and definition in chest than I could ever get from BB bench press. Size and definition way more important to me than amount of wt... Just a thought.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I had same shoulder pain in right shoulder. Went to DB presses and cable flies pulling from bottom. Cable on both sides with D handles...arms out to sides with hands at about waist level, elbows slightly bent, palms forward, pull cables to front just above waist turning palms up, touch handles in center and push up to eye level, pause and reverse movement back to sides. NO more shoulder pain for me and way more size and definition in chest than I could ever get from BB bench press. Size and definition way more important to me than amount of wt... Just a thought.
Hmmmm, but bb bench doesnt just build pecs, it provides overall size to the upper body, and chances are, if you have too much pain in the shoulder, You may be "front delt pressing" as opposed to doing a proper formed bench.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
My front delt does that, because I was using a lot of shoulders to lift instead of my chest. It always feels perfect the next day, but its a burning pain. Similar?

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
ya similar pain. it almost feels like when you do a shitload of crunches and your abs burn. The weird thing is that its the REAR DELT that hurts really bad. And the pain goes away right when i stop working out!!! Not a joint? Muscle or ligament?

D

drussell4801

Awards
buster, I get the same thing sometimes when I start out with too heavy/not enough warmup. Its counterintuitive that a muscle that doesn't even engage while doing a bench press would burn after doing a bench press, right? For me, its not actually the post delt, its the infraspinatus, which is right underneath the post delt and covers the scapula(shoulder blade). The insertion of the infraspinatus is the greater tubercle of the humerus, which means the tendon of the infra runs deep(meaning opposite of superficial) to the post delt. I was stressing that tendon. I was baffled by this for a bit myself. When doing benches, your 'rotator cuff,' which is actually just 4 muscles(supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, and subscapularis) have to strain hard to retain the head of the humerus in the shoulder socket. This straining is causing a slight burn in the infra. My shoudlers are my strongest body parts, and I still get this same burn sometimes when I get a bit overzealous and go too heavy too fast. You're headed for a rotator cuff injury if you don't take time to incorporate rotator cuff strengthening exercises into your workout.

My fix for this problem is that I do 2 warmup sets before going heavy. I throw a 25 on both sides, do 20 reps just to get the muscles movin, then streeeeeeeeeeeetch.. Then throw on another 45 plate on both sides, do about 15 or 16 or so and then streeeetch like hell again. During these stretches you should not only stretch the chest, but also the rear shoulder area. Then go hard at whatever rep/weight level I'm going for that day. If you work up to the weight it will decrease the burn. A good exercise to strengthen the infraspinatus is upright rows with elbows up at shoulder level as opposed to down(you will want to use a wide grip.. this will isolate the muscles of the shoulder as opposed to isolating the lats.) Of course, use lower weight compared to what you would normally do for the lat version of the row, and you want to do a higher number of reps per set, like 15-18 or therabouts, and each rep should be slow and controlled with a deep stretch in between each one.. The bar should go from as far away as your arms will stretch out all way in to your sternum for EACH rep. The rotator cuff muscles, by nature, are endurance muscles, work them as such. Take it easy on the heavy ass bench presses until you get the complementary muscles which make bench press possible strengthened. For a few weeks work on this while doing less weight/higher reps on your benches. Your other chest exercises should be unaffected by the infra issue.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
hey thanks a lot for the info. i will definately try to strengthen my rotator cuff while keeping bench to low weight. I already do upright rows but i should probably do more sets, higher reps, and a controled motion like you said. thanks a lot dude!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
When, and where do you usually incorporate your RC exercises?

D

drussell4801

Awards
When, and where do you usually incorporate your RC exercises?
here's an example:

on shoulder day I do an exercise for about 3 sets of 15 reps each.. I'm gonna explain the exercise cause there really isn't a good name for it. Imagine standing straight up, pulling your elbows up to the same height as your shoulders out to the sides(with your elbows making a straight line with your shoulders), with your forearm hanging down perpendicular to the floor. Then you rotate your upper arm so that your forearm is pointing forward, while keeping your upper arm parallel with the floor and your elbow at a 90 degree angle. You can do it sitting down or however else, vary it however you want. This exercise is a good prelude to the exercise I always do next, which is the one where you set the cable machine to the floor, start with your arm hanging down next to your hip, and then pull forward till your arm is straight foward, keeping a straight arm the whole time. Its a similar movement in a way, and the one warms you up for the other.

I've foudn that if you do all the rest of your back exercises in a controlled manner, with a progression from low to higher weights between sets, you can help your rotator cuff immensely. Its the hoisting of weights in an uncontrolled manner and/or long concentric movement with short eccentric(hence, using too much weight and trying to get that too-high weight up a certain number of times) that leads to injuries of the rotator cuff.

oh, and upright rows. Upright rows are really good for your rotator cuff(especially supraspinatus), but again, only if you use good form and lower weight/higher reps. I always lead into heavy upright rows with light ones. (I don't do the last few reps with shitty form, when the strength to use proper form is gone, I stop, and I save the straining for the next set. I'll do sets till I feel like I have nothing left.) Only on my last set will I do a little bit of hoisting at the end to get the last few. I'd rather give up and try again next set, konw what I mean?

Also, dumbell shrugs are good if you bend your elbow at the top of the shrug, put a lot of stress on the rotator cuff.

sweatntears

sweatntears

Awards
drussell4801 the shoulder exercise you didn't have a name for is actually called..Seated or standing Dumbbell Horizontal External Rotation.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
drussell, follwed your advice. with the streching and warmup sets. Had an intense chest session yesterday and NO PAIN AT ALL!! THANKS DUDE. Im working the upright rows too. THANKS A LOT.

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established

try decline benching only with elbows in. if you do flat bench also keep those elbows in. powerlifter form is alot easier on the shoulder joint.