Football Player in search of diet help.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
What's up guys?

I'm recovering from an injury and i'm planning on playing college football again, and it's time to get back into the swing of things.

I'm planning on going on a clean bulk (i always lose fat when i eat lots of healthy foods)

I work out every morning at 8, but i've heard it's better to work out later so i may switch to 12 on m-w's and 3:30 on t-th's

but right now

I don't eat before i work out but that can change

I've been eating alot of chicken and brown rice and chicken and sweet potato's and chicken and whole wheat pasta with broccali and other vieggies thrown in it all.

ashe555

ashe555

Awards
Eating before and after ur work it is a MUST.....

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
i hadn't been eating before my workouts mostly because i've been rolling out of bed and going straight to workout.

my eating plan had looked like this though

powo-whey shake and honey nut cherios (i know not a great carb but thats why i'm asking for help)
2 hours later-a 'pure protein' bar and a banana
2 hours later-a chicken breast a cup of some sort of veggie and a cup of brown rice and a half a sweet potato
2 hours later-a 'fiberone' bar and 1/4 a cup of almonds and 1/4 a cup of blueberries
2 hours later-chicken breast with a cup of whole wheat pasta, several tablespoons of olive oil, artichokes, and sun dried tomatos the other half of the sweet potato
2 hours before bed- a cup of cottage cheese with a banana, blueberries and grapes cut up in it.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
i'm not sure what's in the pure protein bar but check the carbs and make sure it's not stuffed with sugar..

i like the chicken but i would include some red meats as well (lean burger or steak) since you're on a bulk, and definitely throw in some eggs/egg whites..

take in some complex carbs about an hour before you train with a shake or lean meat (avoid the fat for this one) and add/reduce the amount based on how you feel when you train -- some people feel like **** if they take in too much pre-wo while some can't even function without a sizable meal a little ahead of time.. i need carbs or i hit the ****ing wall about 30 minutes in..

what are the total calories lookin like? what is the workout lookin like? if your stats are right you could be taking in a good amount and still lose fat considering almost all of your cals are coming from complex carbs and lean meats.. if you're incorporating endurance work in addition to strength then you can bump up the cals a bit more to compensate for the extra energy expenditure (again, adjusted to the kind of training your doing) and not worry about fat gain.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
when should i add in the eggs??

I'll add in a shake preworkout..

i haven't done the math for the cals yet.

should i post my workout??

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
i got a scholarship to play line backer for s.f.a. but blew out my knee during the summer before my freshman year

now i'm trying to get back in shape and get a bulk going around 260 and play full back for texas a&m

blakkbwoy

blakkbwoy

Awards
as former football collegiate I can tell you not eating before a workout is a big NO-NO! Your goal is strength and if you are running on empty then you are going to have issues training/playing. I would the 2 to 1 rule(2 grams of carbs and 1 gram of protein for every lb you weigh) for starters.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
as former football collegiate I can tell you not eating before a workout is a big NO-NO! Your goal is strength and if you are running on empty then you are going to have issues training/playing. I would the 2 to 1 rule(2 grams of carbs and 1 gram of protein for every lb you weigh) for starters.
thanks man i hadn't heard this rule and have often wondered how many carbs i should get in.