Cheap ways to get protein?

03SVTCobra

Awards
Just looking for cheap decent sources of protein.

Today I had 5 meals and only ended up with 140 grams of protein and I weight 214, now I am in the process of losing some weight and my lean mass is more like 160-170 lbs, but today was an exception, I rarely eat this much protein, so I'm just looking for a cheaper more effective way to knock out my protein consumption.

I was shopping for groceries today and saw Kroger Brand Whey Protein, it may suck but its cheap $12.99 for 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs and it has 25 grams per serving.

I may buy some next time I head back to the grocery next week because that is 25g+8g (I blend with skim milk) 33 grams per shake, pre and post workout that leaves me 66 grams of protein and another 80 or so to get from food.

Unfortunately I'm a broke college kid and can't afford to be buying 5 packs of fresh chicken, fish, etc etc every week.

Ideas greatly appreciated fellas!

:dl:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Canned tuna is relatively cheap in terms of grams of protein per dollar, its probably your cheapest. next closest likely is cottage cheese I think. honestly not much else is that cheap, even eggs are likely a hair more than that. better stock up on tuna.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Buy the protein when it's on sale, helps alot. I stock up on tuna when it's cheap, same with ground beef/chicken etc. Whey protein is pretty cheap , but I would only use it for pre/post WO, and upon waking.

ATW Protein for $24 works out to 80x22g= 1760g Protein, or 73.33g/$1. In comparison, a can of tuna runs say $0.50-70, for 30g of Protein.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
best value of money (Amount of Protein per dollar) is Tuna and Protein supplements in big bags (such as 10lbs of ON whey Gold or All The Whey) from Nutraplanet or somewhere. Steve has done the math.

Chicken breasts are more expensive and other meats... out of the question

cmc

cmc

Awards
Just looking for cheap decent sources of protein.

Today I had 5 meals and only ended up with 140 grams of protein and I weight 214, now I am in the process of losing some weight and my lean mass is more like 160-170 lbs, but today was an exception, I rarely eat this much protein, so I'm just looking for a cheaper more effective way to knock out my protein consumption.

I was shopping for groceries today and saw Kroger Brand Whey Protein, it may suck but its cheap $12.99 for 1.5 lbs or 2 lbs and it has 25 grams per serving.

I may buy some next time I head back to the grocery next week because that is 25g+8g (I blend with skim milk) 33 grams per shake, pre and post workout that leaves me 66 grams of protein and another 80 or so to get from food.

Unfortunately I'm a broke college kid and can't afford to be buying 5 packs of fresh chicken, fish, etc etc every week.

Ideas greatly appreciated fellas!

:dl:
Go to the supermarket when they have a sale. Say they have whole chickens on sale for example....whether they are out of them or not...go up to the courtesy desk and ask for a rain check for that item that is on sale. Just tell them what the item is is as they rarely if ever walk back to make sure that they are out of an item. With a raincheck, you can go back at any time and get the sale price of that product. My buddy makes a habit of this and has a drawer full of rain of checks. He gets whole chickens pretty much anytime at the sale price.

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
tuna man..dunno where you live, stop and shop around here has sales usually where the tuna was just 20 for 10$. but around here BJ's or Costco has HUGE things of ground turkey for 1.99 a pound..cant really beat that either

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
canned tuna, eggs, protien powder, ground turkey is a new one i like, its cheaper than ground beef....i didnt do the math but i think milk is cheap for how many grams you get per dollar...

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above,... but you could also go steak stir fry. I buy it in bulk, no fat, no bone, so theres nothing to weight it down and make it cost more, like other steak so you get more for your $$$. They are like $3 each, ill clear it out at my grocery store and get out the door with like 7-8 containers for around $20. Between that, tuna, and powder,.. there ya go.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
buy protein in bulk. It is a larger initial investment.....if u wanna call it that.... but 10lbs last for a 2-3 months.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Steak Stir Fry, that sounds yummy... what kinda package does that come in... im gonna have to look for that

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Ask some of your friends at school if any of them were raised on a beef cattle farm. And if so, ask if they'll spare some beef. My Grandpap raises beef cattle, and I always get around 50-75 lbs of burger, and about 30 steaks. If I run out, I can just run over and raid his freezer. lol

Maybe buy a fishing and/or hunting license, and catch/kill your own food. haha

If that isn't an option, tuna would probably be your cheapest bet.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Oh, nevermind, a few posts up was by Kimmy Gibler. lol Post #11

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Sell your 03 SC SVT Cobra and you'll have a decent amount of money to play around with.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Sell your 03 SC SVT Cobra and you'll have a decent amount of money to play around with.
Yeah, is it really necessary to have that nice of a car while in college? Food is more important. Insurance money on that car, could be spent on 2 chicken breasts, a dozen eggs, and a sh*tload of protein powder.

bigthick44

Awards
lol.. i am a big fan of packaged honey smoked turkey... 5 dollars for a pound and a half and each slice has 5g of protein in it

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
peanut butter can be a relatively decent source too, if you get natural pb. still not the cheapest, but not tooooooo bad

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Steak Stir Fry, that sounds yummy... what kinda package does that come in... im gonna have to look for that
same as all other steaks,.... they are usually by the beef chunks, or cubed beef/steak. If they dont have stir fry,... you can also get top sirloin, thin sliced as they are also cut with no fat, and priced the same,... around $3-4, so initially all in all, you get more meat for your $$$$.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i also try to hit the grocery stores early morning, and look for beef going out of date the next day or two. if they haven't marked it down already and it goes out of date the next day, they usually will if you ask.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
my coworker said the butcher told him the reduced meats are some of the best tasting due to them already being 'aged'

easy, not everyone makes the big bank like you :trout: :lol:

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i guess you could mug people for protein cash

whore yourself out?

Drink your own.........you know what..

any of these sound like a good idea

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my coworker said the butcher told him the reduced meats are some of the best tasting due to them already being 'aged'

easy, not everyone makes the big bank like you :trout: :lol:
its funny, I still shop for the reduced meat, protein that is close dated at vitamin shoppe (last 30 days they mark 2lb tubs down to $5) etc. for as much as me + the wife make, it all goes right back out again

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its funny, I still shop for the reduced meat, protein that is close dated at vitamin shoppe (last 30 days they mark 2lb tubs down to $5) etc. for as much as me + the wife make, it all goes right back out again
well when you got the money then of course it goes right back out, you can spend like nothing! :rolleyes: i havent gone shopping for months, besides food.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well when you got the money then of course it goes right back out, you can spend like nothing! :rolleyes: i havent gone shopping for months, besides food.
pphht. just some highlights
$2600/mo mortgage
$300/mo electricity
$150/mo homeowners association
$1400/mo daycare
$400/mo car payment
$150/mo cable tv, phone, internet

add food for 5, diapers, blah blah, it doesn't take long for it to all disappear

and tax % goes up FAST the more you make, so I take home a lot less than you'd think too.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
pphht. just some highlights
$2600/mo mortgage
$300/mo electricity
$150/mo homeowners association
$1400/mo daycare
$400/mo car payment
$150/mo cable tv, phone, internet

add food for 5, diapers, blah blah, it doesn't take long for it to all disappear

and tax % goes up FAST the more you make, so I take home a lot less than you'd think too.
fair enough ;) how about my gf and i trade places with you and the wife and ill keep the kids in daycare ;)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hehehehe it would be tempting, so long as we switched where we were living :D

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
i also try to hit the grocery stores early morning, and look for beef going out of date the next day or two. if they haven't marked it down already and it goes out of date the next day, they usually will if you ask.
Im still in college, so i work @ a grocery store as a stocker. You can try to go around noonish to get the good deals. They do meat counts and cuts in the mornings, which means they get the steaks getting close to out-of-date, cut it up, defat/debone it and put it on the shelf as cheaper cuts aka stirfrys, and beef chunks, that will sell fast (they only will have one day left before expiration). Besides,.... only old people come in and shop @ around 7am-12pm, early in the morning,.. so the meat will still be there, considering they go straight to the Ensure and lotto tickets.:laugh:

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Get out in the woods during hunting season and fill your freezer. That's where most most my meat comes from. eg. Moose,elk,deer,grouse,duck, black bear(plentiful and awesome tasting) etc. :AR15firing: Other than that you can buy buffalo or whole/half cow/chicken/pork from farms on the cheap. Bulk foods are the best in the long run. Get a big freezer and fill that sucka.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
Get out in the woods during hunting season and fill your freezer. That's where most most my meat comes from. eg. Moose,elk,deer,grouse,duck etc. :AR15firing: Other than that you can buy buffalo or whole/half cow/chicken/pork from farms on the cheap. Bulk foods are the best in the long run. Get a big freezer and fill that sucka.
lol I thought I was the only one...

Kill your food! haha

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
lol I thought I was the only one...

Kill your food! haha
Hell yes lol. Free range organic walking buffets. I know what goes into my body,how it died and how clean it was processed. Plus hunting is awesome cardio and fat burning around the time when turkey dinners and sweet potato pies come into effect lol.:D

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
People really have to start hunting more...the main reason I hunt is to stock my freezer for my family.
What could be better than fresh, lean venison back-straps? If some of you never had them...you don't know what you're missing.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
AND IT'S CHEAP
People really have to start hunting more...the main reason I hunt is to stock my freezer for my family.
What could be better than fresh, lean venison back-straps? If some of you never had them...you don't know what you're missing.

So true.:bandit:

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
got some for sale ronin?

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
got some for sale ronin?
Well the sale of game meat is strictly forbidden, on penalty of losing your license/guns etc. If you lived close to me I would be more than happy to let you have a sample pack of wildgame though. Advice on how/where to hunt,reasonable rifles to buy and cartridges to use is however free of charge. I am always an advocate of bringing in new hunters/survivalists and outdoorsmen into the fold of Self-sufficiency. One day I will live in a off-the-grid home built with my own two hands as well.:pirate:

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
O i hunt dont get me wrong.... i just want some deer meat dammmmit

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ground black bear burgers with sharp cheddar are better :D

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
ground black bear burgers with sharp cheddar are better :D
Never had it...the guy I was bear hunting with this past season killed one...maybe I'll ask him for some...it's the least he can do because I ended up dragging that thing 90% of the way back to the truck...

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Thats kewl you guys all hunt and eat wild game. Black bear (mountain blueberry fed, my fave)IMO is awesome. The BEST garlic coil and sausages are made from bear. The hams/bacon are amazing and the roasts (slow cooked are the best) win the hearts of many a non-game eater.
I was recently at a going away party for some friends, and it was "game meat only". I did up a nice bear roast, and it was one of 3 plates demolished entirely(the other bieng a fresh pacific coho/sockeye medley and pan fried brown trout). There was some good wild meat too but when people who never even tried it before ate some, they could not stop! One tip though don't kill one near any salmon spawning grounds as they will taste fishy.
An awesome wild meat to try, if you can get it is cougar meat (lol the cat). The steaks are amazing as is the sausage.:beerchug:

PS I can't wait for spring bear season:AR15firing: