Bulking Post Workout

B

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
I'm fairly new to this forum. I have been lifting seriously for about three years and have been looking into and trying different diets and supplements, so I would like to think I am not completely in the dark. This may not be the place for this thread, but I was wondering why there seems to be no threads on here about post workout carbs? Is that all a myth? I am currently bulking, eating a ton of food, and was wondering what is best for a post w/o carb if anything at all. Any input is appreciated.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I'm fairly new to this forum. I have been lifting seriously for about three years and have been looking into and trying different diets and supplements, so I would like to think I am not completely in the dark. This may not be the place for this thread, but I was wondering why there seems to be no threads on here about post workout carbs? Is that all a myth? I am currently bulking, eating a ton of food, and was wondering what is best for a post w/o carb if anything at all. Any input is appreciated.
I typically eat brown rice and chicken after my lift, or a few pecies of 12 grain bread and tons of pb.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
some people say get a quick digesting carb directly after with protein...others are advocates of only complex carbs all the time.

I usually have a piece of fruit with whey directly after, and a whole meal 45 minutes later.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the only real evidence towards post workout simple carbs is based on fasted morning workouts, and that showed that simple carb + protein gave better absorption than protein alone.

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
I like to blend up a cup of oats and add it in my post workout shake. Then about an hour later I eat a meal high in protein and a good carb thats slower digesting such as brown rice or sweet potato.

I

Irish_Rogue

Awards
  • Established
I like cottage cheese, multi-grain bagel and 1/2 skim with protein powder afterwards.

M

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
The type of carbs doesn't really matter (as long as it's not all fructose). The important thing to remember is that the best time to eat carbs is right around your workout. Most people can only eat so much before a workout without getting upset stomachs, so the post-workout meal is usually the big one. 40-50% of your daily carbs in this meal is a fair recommendation. Personally, when I'm bulking, I just eat as many carbs as possible after my workout (with protein), but I'm pretty lean and I don't have problems overeating.

Nutrient dense choices would include bagels or whole wheat breads, oatmeal, potatoes or yams, etc. I usually opt for less filling carbs like cereal, pasta, rice, etc.

Alan Aragon's theory is that you should include a portion of fructose or lactose with it to refill liver glycogen, and I tend to agree with this. Fruit and milk are probably the healthiest options. Personally though when I'm bulking, I use it as a good excuse to eat candy and chinese food. :)