7'1, new here, looking to gain muscle/weight

stretch

Awards
Hey guys, Im new to the site, 7'1 and about 200 lbs. I am looking for any help you guys can give me regarding supplements, what to eat, what workouts to do.

At the moment, I work out bi's, shoulders, abs on monday.
tri's, pecs on wednesday. and basketball and legs on friday.

Any advice would be great .

thanks.

(p.s.- i have an ultra fast metabolism)

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
look in the bulking or recipe threads for homemade weight gainer shakes. try counting your calorie/carb/protein/fat intake in a day to make sure it is where it needs to be. A nice way to bulk is 4x10 for 3 weeks, 4x8 for 2 weeks, 4x6 for 3 weeks, 5x5 for 3 weeks, 3x3 for 2 weeks. Idk what kind of lifting you do but if you incorporate power exercises like hang cleans, push press, high pulls. they should stay at 4x6 the entire 13 weeks. its a nice mixture of size/strength. kinda hard were not real specific, what kinda supps are you looking for?

stretch

Awards
im more looking for just exercises for pecs and shoulders i guess. And i am on a strict meat diet. (ex. ate 4 hamburgers today, pork, ham n cheese sandwich on rye)

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
heavy bench, heavy incline bench, and dumbell flies. push press, military press, front/lateral raises. all great for muscle/weight.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
How's the weather up there? :D

Just follow the bulking advice in this forum you'll be goood

Basic, compound, heavy movements. Deadlifts, squats, bench, overhead press, rows, dips.
Eat eat eat eat and then eat some more
Get your rest and vitamins!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How's the weather up there? :D

Just follow the bulking advice in this forum you'll be goood

Basic, compound, heavy movements. Deadlifts, squats, bench, overhead press, rows, dips.
Eat eat eat eat and then eat some more
Get your rest and vitamins!
most definately use the advise in the bulking forum. I will stress the same again, eat, eat eat, and when full eat some more

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
most definately use the advise in the bulking forum. I will stress the same again, eat, eat eat, and when full eat some more
eat quality bro - fk those hamburgers and pork off (or at least restrict them) restrict your empty calorie sugar-filled foods like soda, donuts etc as well

homemade chilli - steak - chicken - tuna, tonnes of tuna
rice - sweet potato - oats - whole grained bread
fresh veges and herbs - as much as you can possibly eat with every meal
full cream milk - cheese - ice cream
fruit - in moderation (apples, bananas, berries etc)
olive oil - nuts - more nuts
water - gallons of water

Record and plan every meal.

EAT LIKE GODZILLA UNTIL YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE FAT GAIN, THEN START PULLING BACK.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 7'1 and with an ultra-fast metabolism, you're going to have to pound serious calories. Look into making your own gainer shakes to take between meals; Staple ingredients should be Milk, Oats, Whey, PB/Coconut Oil, and fruit/berries.

Once you start doing some big compound lifts to build muscle, it's going to rocket your metabolism even higher. You're just going to have to out-eat it :D

To help keep the fat-gain low, I would suggest purchasing something like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/uspowders/p-slin-bulk-powder-21-grams.html and taking it before your large-carb meals; it helps shuttle the glucose into muscle cells.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Yeah dood..... you need to eat like a horse! 7'1'' thats fukkin tall! Welcome to AM!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
At 7'1 and with an ultra-fast metabolism, you're going to have to pound serious calories. Look into making your own gainer shakes to take between meals; Staple ingredients should be Milk, Oats, Whey, PB/Coconut Oil, and fruit/berries.

Once you start doing some big compound lifts to build muscle, it's going to rocket your metabolism even higher. You're just going to have to out-eat it
:D

To help keep the fat-gain low, I would suggest purchasing something like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/uspowders/p-slin-bulk-powder-21-grams.html and taking it before your large-carb meals; it helps shuttle the glucose into muscle cells.
great points. coconut oil and peanut butter are some of the most calorie dense food out there, and are great for bulking. lifting and increased metabolism is why i always try and recommend you increase your calories a bunch (800 or more per day) when you start working out. rest assured, with a good diet and workout, the weight will come.

if its not uber presumptuous, here's a link that may help : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html . i hate giving diet advice to anyone bigger than me - seems a bit silly :)

heavy bench, heavy incline bench, and dumbell flies. push press, military press, front/lateral raises. all great for muscle/weight.
upright rows are also great for shoulders.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
eat quality bro - fk those hamburgers and pork off (or at least restrict them)
Would love to hear why hamburgers are not "quality"... I mean unless we are talking about "fast food" hamburgers, then i agree.. But what is the difference between taking ground beef and making it into a "hamburger" or making it into "chili"

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would love to hear why hamburgers are not "quality"... I mean unless we are talking about "fast food" hamburgers, then i agree.. But what is the difference between taking ground beef and making it into a "hamburger" or making it into "chili"
I think he meant the FastFood burgers. Lots of us on AM make our own burgers; this almost makes me want to post up my standard burger picture, but I do it to often. Speaking of which, I think I'll have a burger for lunch. Mmmm :D

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
fastfood burgers= garbage. Ground meat/chuck= good as steak

stretch

Awards
No, I wasn't talking about fast food burgers. I am in college and I pay 1100 a semester for unlimited meals at the cafeteria. Thats why I am trying to eat as much as I can there, so that I am not completely emptying money out of my pockets.

It is inevitable that I will need foods at home, but everyday at the cafe they have cheeseburgers, a deli section, pizza (i know not good), fries (also not good), pasta, salad bar, fruit, and then often some special dinner meat with veggies and a grilled meat.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
you have alot of filling out to do bro,your one tall dude.imo..stay away from over training,as much as possibble.do heavy weights with less reps.keep your workout's under an hour.catabolisim can wreak havoc on a person your size/height.take the dieting suggestions very seriously if you want to make any gains.since you do basketball,thats all the cardio you will need for now.stay off the treadmills,or anything that will raise your metabolisim and burn off calories.there was alot of great advice that has been givin' to you in this thread.you might want to look into bcaa's,100% whey shakes,caesin shake before bed,a good multi-vitamin source..etc!..TRAIN,EAT,REST...EAT..EAT...EAT SOME MORE!

stretch

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys. I am thinking (I know) that I am going to need something more than Eating eating eating and working out mon wed friday. I already have a case of creatine monohydrate that I am going to start taking.... (5 grams a day?) and I have been looking at the posts in here. What is this stuff about "havoc"? Good bad, anything else I can take.

stretch

Awards
just from experience, gaining weight is near impossible for me. I could eat a 1500 calorie cake and lose a pound. yeah.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
just from experience, gaining weight is near impossible for me. I could eat a 1500 calorie cake and lose a pound. yeah.
you can do it buddy,just follow the basic rules of mass gaining and you should be alright,but of course i never heard of someone your height on A.M before,but you can do it.you must turn it into a lifestyle my friend.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, apologies there imprez - when I think of hamburgers I think of the fast-food variety: calorie high nutrient poor.

If you're making you own then good as gold :thumbsup:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah, apologies there imprez - when I think of hamburgers I think of the fast-food variety: calorie high nutrient poor.

If you're making you own then good as gold :thumbsup:
No worries man! I gotta agree with that..

briancogs888

Awards
Big lifts and big eats. I would get some good quality supps too. I would def hit the gym more than 3 times a week, unless you are running double sessions, haha. Are you still growing? Haha. Cause if you are you need even more cals!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok Stretch, Ive pulled up one of my own calc to see roughly what your calorie intake should be:

I guessed your BF and bumped up your activity to account for your raging metabolism - it's still up at 6,000 cal per day, so you are really going to have to focus on eating.

2.0 Train 4 times a week
2.1 Train 5 times a week
2.2 Train 6 times a week
2.3 Train 7 times a week
2.4 Train 8 times a week
2.5 Train 9 times a week
2.6 Train 10 times a week
3.0 Train 11 times a week
3.2 train 12 times a week

. . . .and that will require planning and dedicated eating.

Creatine will help - go for it. . . . but for the love of God forget Havoc or anything like it. Get the basics right! :bandit:

btw: I would also invest in a few sessions with a personal trainer to get a good lifting programme in place, and learn some correct technique - forget the magazines - they're all bullsh1t :thumbsup:

Attachments

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys. I am thinking (I know) that I am going to need something more than Eating eating eating and working out mon wed friday. I already have a case of creatine monohydrate that I am going to start taking.... (5 grams a day?) and I have been looking at the posts in here. What is this stuff about "havoc"? Good bad, anything else I can take.
Actually no, you won't need more than eating. A good diet will get you WAAAYYYY farther than any supplement ever will. Creatine mono at 5g/day is a nice addition to a solid diet, however. Havoc is a steroid, you aren't quite ready for that yet.... and that is a whole different can of worms to open anyway. How old are you, by the way?

Just focus on including deadlifts and squats in your lifts. It kills me to see guys in the gym spending an hour doing 8 different kinds of curls thinking they are going to get huge biceps. It doesn't work like that. Keep in mind that your body grows proportionately, so you need to work all of your muscles equally. I'd say that's the number one mistake I see made by beginners. That, and a good calorie surplus diet.

stretch

Awards
ha.......FUNNY! No, but really. How does desicated liver tabs sound to you guys? from the other threads it looks like they work wonders.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
ha.......FUNNY! No, but really. How does desicated liver tabs sound to you guys? from the other threads it looks like they work wonders.

I wouldnt't even look into any steroid / supplement unless its protein or creatine... at 7 1 and 220 you havent even scratched the surface of your natural potential... eat / sleep... stop playing basketball too it will burn too many precious cals.

stretch

Awards
i really dont have much of a problem with not playing basketball. (i honestly don't enjoy it that much, rather be in the gym)

Over the weekend I am probably going to get some knee braces for squats because my knees are sh!tty to put it nicely lol.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I bet they are, your huge.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i really dont have much of a problem with not playing basketball. (i honestly don't enjoy it that much, rather be in the gym)

Over the weekend I am probably going to get some knee braces for squats because my knees are sh!tty to put it nicely lol.
Then you should definately book in a few sessions with a personal trainer - squats may not be a good exercise for you

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
be careful with deadlifts too. one of my best friends is 6'7" and his lower back grew a bit too fast.

stretch

Awards
what do you mean by "his lower back grew too fast"

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean by "his lower back grew too fast"
he had a growth spurt, and his lower back grew faster than his legs for a short period. enough to make his back on the weak side. just asking you to be careful when you're doing deadlifts.

stretch

Awards
oh ok. yeah with deadlifts and squats i am definitely going to start with real low weights until I am confident and have good form etc.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
squats and deads will be significantly harder for a guy your size. Mostly when you get to the real heavy weights, but you have a longer of ROM during the lift since your so tall. Good luck... perfect your form and keep liftin!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
you can get big man look at dwight howard orlando magic hes JACKED

stretch

Awards
yeah, i know. its going to take a lot of work. but im ready for it.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are plenty of guys on here who take them; and when you break it down gram per gram for protein, they don't come out that bad. Ultra 40's cost 2x as much but are superior quality, and then there's the UniLivers which are "inferior" as snagency would say :)

I picked up some of the latter to try, and will try Ultra's down the road to compare. But I think this would be a pretty basic supplement to start with after Protein/Creatine/Multi/ZMA.

stretch

Awards
Yeah its looking like its about 12 bucks for 500 tablets.

Two questions though. Am I going to die trying to swallow these things? And is the taste really that bad?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Two questions though. Am I going to die trying to swallow these things? And is the taste really that bad?
:lol: the dedicated lifter fears not the foul-tasting brew :bandit:

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established

To answer your questions, the pills are a big large, but not un-do-able and they really have no flavor (unless you're foolish enough to chew them)
Give uni-liver a shot--you won't be disappointed!

stretch

Awards
i have only been eating like crazy for about 5 days now and started taking creatine yesterday and i have already gained 6 lbs.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
i have only been eating like crazy for about 5 days now and started taking creatine yesterday and i have already gained 6 lbs.
thats awesome my sky scraping friend!..keep on eating bro!

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
Definitely make sure you follow strict form. I truly believe the longer your limbs are, the harder it is to develop strict form. But I think the leverage taller guys get on their lifts gives an edge in muscle building if they can get the form down.

Don't worry if this means using seemingly small weight. Keep in mind that if you bench pressed a given weight 10 times, you have pushed it probably twice as far as someone else who might push that weight 10 times at a shorter stature.

Good luck to you man, keep at it and keep asking the questions. It's a good community here.

And if you have trouble choking down the food, a bad tasting supplement, or large capsules I have this advise. Put on your earphones and blast some Sepultura or your metal of choice loud. It helps put you in the mindset that you can do anything.

stretch

Awards
Ha yeah I hear you. thanks man. At the moment, when I work out, I put my ipod to Hatebreed. Really gets you going with quotes like "your doubt, it fuels me, your hate, it drives me" lol