bulking up and burning fat at same time?

elliotuk

elliotuk

Awards
im new to the world of building muscle etc and need some advice.

Started going to the gym 1 month ago and simply going to gain muscle ( i wanna look good naked!!). I am 16lb and a real hard gainer (ectomorph) so ive been told i need to eat sh*t loads.

I'm eating loads of the right food and everything, but I have a small amount of fat on my belly that I want to get rid of. Now the trainers in the gym are telling me to simply do some cardio after I have done the weights each time I go to the gym. however I have read all across the net that you should not try to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time - they dont work together and it will massively affect any size gains.

I just want to hear people thoughts on this.....is it true? Should I just focus on eating loads and bulking up and forget about cv? If so then how and when can I get rid of the fat on my belly so that my abs show?!

cheers.

Brother

Brother

Awards
I had great results loosing fat doing fasted cardio and drinking BCAA first thing in the AM. Im sure if you did 30 min or cardio in the mornings and lifted later one wouldnt effect the other. I could be wrong but I think im right and thats all that matters to me :) Also HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is way more effective for burning calories which I assume is what you want to lose body fat. As long as your supplying you body with clean fuel and burning calories I wouldnt think you would become catabolic from cardio. Thats why most people will tell you to use BCAA pre/during/post workout.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
it's possible but inefficient. That's why people have a bulking phase and a cutting phase.

bulking requires calorie surplus (comsume more calories than burnt)
cutting requires calorie deficit (the opposite)

in bulking, insulin is generally high as is testosterone. Insulin facilitates carbs and protein being sent to the muscles. If there are excess carbs for the muscles to handle, these are synthesized into fat.

in cutting, insulin is very low while GH is high. GH facilitates fat loss while the lack of insulin can't allow for any form of fat synthesis thru carbs.

I'm no medical expert but as far as i know, GH and insulin have a mechanism to inhibit each other.

So yea, based on that... it's not recommended to bulk and cut at the same time.

either way, do ur cardio but it's probably more beneficial to do HIIT like the dude above me said.
They have better fat loss effects and are better for capillaries and fitness

elliotuk

elliotuk

Awards
it's possible but inefficient. That's why people have a bulking phase and a cutting phase.

bulking requires calorie surplus (comsume more calories than burnt)
cutting requires calorie deficit (the opposite)

in bulking, insulin is generally high as is testosterone. Insulin facilitates carbs and protein being sent to the muscles. If there are excess carbs for the muscles to handle, these are synthesized into fat.

in cutting, insulin is very low while GH is high. GH facilitates fat loss while the lack of insulin can't allow for any form of fat synthesis thru carbs.

I'm no medical expert but as far as i know, GH and insulin have a mechanism to inhibit each other.

So yea, based on that... it's not recommended to bulk and cut at the same time.

either way, do ur cardio but it's probably more beneficial to do HIIT like the dude above me said.
They have better fat loss effects and are better for capillaries and fitness
thanks for info, so if i go ahead with this bulking then cutting phase....how many weeks should each phase be? And in the cutting phase would i just do cardio? or would I still be lifting weights as often and as much as in the bulking phases?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
thanks for info, so if i go ahead with this bulking then cutting phase....how many weeks should each phase be? And in the cutting phase would i just do cardio? or would I still be lifting weights as often and as much as in the bulking phases?
Some ppl do it by time. A common timeframe is 12 weeks bulking and 8 weeks cutting. But then others also do it by goals, such as finishing the cutting phase when they're down to 9% bodyfat or finishing the bulking phase when they are satisfied with their muscle size etc.

I'm currently cutting, because i started off as a very fat dude. down to 15% now from an original 26%. I personally find that the best results for cutting is a lot High intensity weight training and high intensity cardio. So i lift 4 times a week (and my training involves mostly supersets and short rest intervals such as 30 sec rest) and do High intensity interval training 2 - 3 times a week.

More important than the training is the diet. The weight loss section has a lot on that. Many do CKD but that's a bit too hardcore for me.

With bulking, i'm not too sure. Probably best to ask some of the other dudes on here, such as suncloud (who's ecto and bulked up).

Brother

Brother

Awards
If you look around you can find threads for gaining LBM while losing fat. It is possible to create a eating and workout plan that allows you to burn fat and add lean muscle. I have done a bulking phase and in turn felt like I ended up having to try harder to lose the extra weight after the fact. In my experience if you add quality pounds over quantity you'll have a much easier time achieving the results you are looking for. Looking good in the mirror doesnt really feflect what the scale says. Look a wrestlers. They train hard and can look like they weigh 15 pounds heavier because they have lean muscle thats functional. Or you can do what the guy above me says and gain fat and try to lose it. Its up to you. Just remember ...cardio never hurts. You would have to run for an hour or more to have negative impact on trying to build muscle. Do the cardio. Just make sure you supply your body with the proper amount of BCAA and like you said, eat a lot and make sure its good food and complex carbs. No worries. Good luck.

elliotuk

elliotuk

Awards
hmm ok so i think i will try doing some cardio tehn but do it after my weights session. Can i use some fat burning supplement like maximuscle thermobol for this? or does this stuff contain something that kills your appetite? I dont wanna take something that kills my appetite when im trying to eat a lot to build muscle :p

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Remember as well mate, like every aspect of being a weight lifter/bodybuilder, it will come down ALOT to individual genetics...You gonna have to get used to that early. So much of what we do is based on your genetics. Some are luckier than others.