Rugby Bulk

dirtydave88

Awards
I'm looking for some help on some good exercises for my offseason rugby bulk that I will be starting today. I play 9 so i'm more concerned with gaining lean mass than i am with just pure mass.

Looking for a few good exercises to add to my program so any suggestions will be helpful. Also how do most of you divide up your routine when you do a 5 day program. I do cardio everyday and am just looking help on my lifting program for the season. thanks

shaw001

shaw001

Awards
give me some info... stats, how old, diet, training history.

Im a rugby boy too, back row... ill give you some advice, just gimme some info first pal

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Your off season workout should not be any different than your inseason workout, imo. Only difference should be diet.

dirtydave88

Awards
well here is what my lift schedule looks like now. Lift 6 days rest on saturday. 5 sets of everything unless noted otherwise. Any changes to my routine would be helpful. Also any imput on my diet would help. I'm about 5'6 150lbs right now at about 10-12% body fat but that will be dropping as I have gotten back into cardio everyday.
Day 1: Chest/Back
DB Bench
Pullovers
Incline bench
Cable Flys
1 arm rows
Lat Pulldowns
Deadlift

Day 2: Shoulders/bi's
Clean + press
Arnold Press
Lat Raises
Shrugs
Cable curls
Preacher curls

Day 3: Legs
squats
lunges
leg ext
leg curl
calf raises
wrist curls
grippers
RDL
wall sits

Day 4: tris/back
Tri pushdown
weighted dips
Seated Rows
Cable straight arm pulldown
LPD
Plate Ladders tri's

Day 5:Chest/upper
Bench 3sets 10,8,6
cable crossovers
DB Decline 3sets 10,8,6
Lat raises
Hammer curls
Kickbacks

Day 6: rest

Day 7: Legs
squats
power clean
leg ext
leg curl
calf raises
wall sits

shaw001

shaw001

Awards
Your off season workout should not be any different than your inseason workout, imo. Only difference should be diet.

I disagree with that. during the season it is unreasonable to suggest that you can train with the same intensity and routine as in the off season due to rugby training sessions- S.A.Q work, skills, team runthrough etc.

im not sure about your set up but we have tues, thurs training and sat games. trying to sprint on a pitch at training having done a leg heavy leg session is asking for an injury.

so during the season our conditioning coach has us do maintenance weights along with lots of core work, wobble board work etc. The maintenance weights are usually the same exercises as in the off season but lighter and with higher reps, less rest etc, alot of circuits... to improve fitness while maintaining muscle and strength.

this is completely different when it comes to the off-season.

Due to the nature of our game, my training regimen off season revolves around heavy compound movements for bulking and speed and power.

I do a 5 day split and for muscle group arange my workout around a compound exercise to build explosive power and speed. (muscle mass comes with)

for example, these exercises are the key ones in my program:

Snatch
power cleans
hang cleans
bench
squats
deadlift

you can see the type of movements and why they are being suggested. power cleans and snatch create dynamic explosive power- very important for exploding onto the ball at pace, breaking a tackle etc.

after you have these power based exercises in place you can fill around them with general bulking work. Remember in the proffessional era of rugby you dont necessarily have to be big... many players are light, quick and very powerful.

core stability is crucial in rugby so dedicate time to seeting up a good core program. at my club we do tomahawks and woodchops etc on shoulder day to work both shoulder and core.

incorporating work on wobble boards etc will create stability and balance too. It will also strengthen your medial bands and tighten up your knee joints to protect you from injury.

also set up an S.A.Q session you can do once a week to maintain agility and mobility as you bulk. im really tired right now, long day, but i hope that made sense. i can help you write up a program if you want... I need to change mine up as ive just torn my ACL in my knee and will be out the rest of the season, so I need an upper body program for bulking while i wait for my op... then the bastard rehab starts :(

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
dirtydave88 and shaw001, where you guys from?

i know rugger is in the states, he loves his rugby and his weights

i'm from new zealand btw

shaw001

shaw001

Awards
Im from welsh mate. but live in london, where in NZ u from?

dirtydave88

Awards
i'm from the states as well. shaw i completely see what you are saying with the power day, i would really appreciate it if you were able to help me make and refine a program. any other lifts or suggestions you have will help alot.

dirtydave88

Awards
Shaw i have refined my workout a little bit but still have some holes in it hoping some of you have some input about what i have now.
Day 1
DB bench
Pullovers
Incline bench
DB flys
1 arm rows
LPD
DL

Day 2
Clean +press
arnold press
lat raises
cable woodchoppers
shrugs
dips
tri pushdown
cable/rev cable curls
hammer curls

Day 3
squats
lunges
leg ext
leg curl
calf raises
RDL
grippers
wrist curls

Day 4:
Military
Bent over rows
close grip bench
Cable Crossover
Kickbacks
preacher curls
hammer curls
tri or bi ladder alternating weeks

Day 5
Snatch
hang clean
Power clean
Squats
Bench
anything more?

thats what i have for right now, still needs some revision i believe but it is looking better i think.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
b unit u play rugby too?
i used to (grew up with it, it's new zealand's religion) but i liked rugby league better, got to run the ball a lot more playing front row in league, bigger hits, shoulder charges and not so much pissing around with scrums

but in the end, weights won out