Anyone eat Bison burgers?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I just placed my first order for 10 lbs of Bison burgers.... From what I hear, Bison is the best red meat for you.... Very high in protein and low in fat.

Basketball23

Awards
yea i saw a thing on the food network saying how much healthier they are, i am getting a huge pack from my food store

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yes i do. almost every night :)

buffalo is also very high in creatine.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
yes i do. almost every night :)

buffalo is also very high in creatine.
Do you get yours local?... I may have to do some research and see if one of my local markets has them...I had to order over the internet, It's like $15.00 S/H
It cost about $55.00 for 10 lbs... 1/3 lb burgers.... I wonder how they are cooking on a George Forman grill?

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yes, great flavor in addition to the benefits of high protein/fat ratio. I find them at some restaurants too. Recently had buffalo tenderloin with a huckleberry-port reduction . . . melted in my mouth.

Now that you mention this . . . I need to order some too.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
bro bison is bombbbb. i havent had the burger patties, but i've cooked it up just ground. 1 lb for $4-5 depending on sales or not. but ya bison is a leaner meat than beef. it taste pretty similar but i can distinguish between bison and beef. i really havent tried any recipes with it yet. i've just cooked it up, season it, dice some onions and green peppers and i'm good to go. first time i saw bison in the meat section my eyes just glistened and i was like i MUST try that. for some reason bison just seems more manly or alpha or w/e you will lmaooo

def. gotta look for bulk bison

oh btw, if you want to try some even more tender meat, get some LAMB asap. uggghhhhh.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Do you get yours local?... I may have to do some research and see if one of my local markets has them...I had to order over the internet, It's like $15.00 S/H
It cost about $55.00 for 10 lbs... 1/3 lb burgers.... I wonder how they are cooking on a George Forman grill?
i still cook over a cast iron skillet. i find mine locally for 6 and change per pound. whole foods has it, so does trader joe's. in fact, if there's a trader joe's nearby, its closer to 5 bucks per pound :)

the best thing about bison is : it is against the law to feed them hormones, or to not grain feed them. as organic as it gets :)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
oh btw, if you want to try some even more tender meat, get some LAMB asap. uggghhhhh.
Tried Lamb once and didn't like the taste to much... Had to eat every piece with a spoon full of the mint ? (green stuff)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
i still cook over a cast iron skillet. i find mine locally for 6 and change per pound. whole foods has it, so does trader joe's. in fact, if there's a trader joe's nearby, its closer to 5 bucks per pound :)

the best thing about bison is : it is against the law to feed them hormones, or to not grain feed them. as organic as it gets :)
Thanks Sun, Why yes there is a Trader Joe's about 15 miles from my house... Just opened up two months ago... Haven't been thoe.... I'll be checking it out.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The next time I go to Buffalo I'll try and find a Trader Joes; everything is just crazy expensive here in Cnada. I saw the bison burgers at Whole Foods, but they were injected with fat to the point they were something like 20g Pro / 20g Fat!

There's a local farm that sells steaks/roasts, but it's $20-25/lb.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The next time I go to Buffalo I'll try and find a Trader Joes; everything is just crazy expensive here in Cnada. I saw the bison burgers at Whole Foods, but they were injected with fat to the point they were something like 20g Pro / 20g Fat!

There's a local farm that sells steaks/roasts, but it's $20-25/lb.
No trader joes around here buddy. If you come down though you can just get bison meat at Wegmans.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had bison burger, but I've had bison steaks. My dad and I cooked some up two weekends ago. They were excellent, even off of the Foreman. Cooked med-rare/med.

TATANKA!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Our Krogers here just started selling it. I have a buffalo farm about 15 min from me and he lets you come to his house and buy whatever cuts you need, as well as jerky and sausage.

I love to go and see them in the fields on the long drive up his driveway. Awesome tasting.

Ruby Tuesdays has bison burbers too. And there is a bison restraunt in Dublin here also. So all you people coming to the Arnold can eat very well here.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No trader joes around here buddy. If you come down though you can just get bison meat at Wegmans.
I picked up some Lean (90%, in Canada that is X-Lean) Ground beef last time. I always hear about super cheap turkey breast but I didnt see it; I hear Sam's Club has a killer deal on Chicken breast though.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh and if you buy from the farm guy he gives you a buffalo cookbook for free!! He also is at all the Farmers markets on Saturday.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
Bison? same as buffalo right? if so i love it. i always get the one pounder

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love buffalo. Good lean protein there. If I could afford it I would replace all my beef with it.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Bison = Buffalo right?

Yea trader joe's has buffalo and for a GREAT price. Frozen though. there are about 12 grams of fat for 46 grams of protein. I think it's reasonable on even some cutting diets.

Foreman grill is a great way to get these guys out fast, and remember to not cook them that long since it's leaner than normal burgers.

A grill pan is also another easy way, but double the time of the foreman since you are cooking on side at at time.

some suggestions on cooking. pour ample amounts of worcestershire sauce with minced garlic on it. Marinate overnight or for several hours. It makes it taste tons better. If you do these plain they will have a strange taste because of all the blood that comes out during cooking..

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
2lb ground buffalo for $7.99 at BJ's

8g of fat, 5g saturated, 24g protein per 4oz.

Still grain-fed but no hormones.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo and bison are very closely related, but they are different animals.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo and bison are very closely related, but they are different animals.
You are correct sir.:fing02:

Buffalo' is the popular name often used to describe North American bison; however, this is a misnomer. In fact, buffalo are distinctly different animals from bison. Although both bison and buffalo belong to the same family, Bovidae, true 'buffalo' are native only to Africa and Asia.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
All of the Fuddruckers in Ohio closed!
crader, I was in another thread and you mentioned you were from Dublin... I started to respond to you about how great of a time I had last year there... Took me about 10 minutes to write it....Then I noticed under your avatar, your from Dublin Ohio *LOL*.... Glad I didn't post it.... Everyone would of had a great :toofunny:

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
crader, I was in another thread and you mentioned you were from Dublin... I started to respond to you about how great of a time I had last year there... Took me about 10 minutes to write it....Then I noticed under your avatar, your from Dublin Ohio *LOL*.... Glad I didn't post it.... Everyone would of had a great :toofunny:
LOL, I'm actually in a city over from Dublin;) Although it is still in Ohio!!

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
Do any of you guys eat venison(deer)? It is super lean also and for me you cant beat the price. How much does a 12 gauge slug cost? You just pay for the processing but it is damn good and the steaks are super tender. Another good thing to try is goose breast. Cooks just like a steak.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sure do and love it ! I get it ground locally and make my own burgers ( bunless ) of course, or make meatloaf or pasta dishes on weekends. Damn it sure is good :D

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i thought goose was pretty high in fat? not that my knowledge is good in that area. i know duck is high in fat.

the leanest meat i've ever seen is moose! yes, i had moose over christmas when the relatives flew in from alaska - they brought some with them. so lean, that ground moose doesn't hold together - no fat to bind the grounds, so you can't make burgers out of them - only sloppy joes! it felt pretty weird eating moose though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get it at our Kroger's. They only sell it occasionally. good stuff none the less.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Do any of you guys eat venison(deer)? It is super lean also and for me you cant beat the price. How much does a 12 gauge slug cost? You just pay for the processing but it is damn good and the steaks are super tender. Another good thing to try is goose breast. Cooks just like a steak.
Yup, I'm going to a game meal next weekend... Love the stuff, as long as it's cooked right.

bualls23

Awards
i live in western canada, and for some reason ground bison costs less then ground beef at the grocery store. i've only been buying it cause it was cheaper! if you have a dehydrator/oven, it makes killer jerky, and it tastes better than beef in my opinion.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i live in western canada, and for some reason ground bison costs less then ground beef at the grocery store. i've only been buying it cause it was cheaper! if you have a dehydrator/oven, it makes killer jerky, and it tastes better than beef in my opinion.
Marc Lobiner has a video on you tube how to beef some killer beef jerky. only thing it takes like 15 hours to cook at a time