Ok guys

So I started lifting seriously about... 2-3months ago

current stats are:

age 20, height ~6'1 and weight 185lbs
    bench ~180lbs
    Squat = 200lbs
    deadlift = 240lbs

i wont post up other stuff like military press, t bars, etc

now... this probably applies to everyone here so feel free to join in the discussion... especially wanting input from guys who have been lifting for yonks and can tell me what are roughly achievable goals in terms of adding weight to your workouts

so by the end of 2009... those numbers i have there... what would be something achievable to aim for? not too high not too low...

in 12 months I am thinking whether a min 220lbs bench is achievable (i think i could go 240 maybe??)
    squat could maybe be 300lbs or around there with the dead lift hovering around that mark as well... plus or minus some tens of pounds

are these goals achievable or am I dreaming? my diet is pretty good not the strictest but its good, I've done my readings, lots of compound lifts, try not to overtrain, sleep well and all the usuals, whey before and after workout and am looking at doing creatine cycles throughout the year

so give me all the input you can especially from past experience!

cheers!!

edit: also obviously note I am a beginner in terms of the weight I lift.. obviously going from a 200lb squat to 300lb squat wont take as long (adding 100lbs) as say someone who is on 450lbs going to 550lbs etc... ya'll aint dumb

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

I think those goals as achievable especially if you are a beginner. Especially in a year.

2 pieces of advice:

-Always add weight. If you are shooting for 8 reps and you hit 8 reps then the next time add on 5 pounds and do that until you hit 8. This worked wonders for me when I was going for strength.

-Learn as much as you can on here. I started lifting when I was 18 and I joined this site when I was 22. I have learned more in the past 6 months than I did in the 3 years I spend reading fitness magazines. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here and TONS of good information. So take advantage of it!

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I think those goals as achievable especially if you are a beginner. Especially in a year.

2 pieces of advice:

-Always add weight. If you are shooting for 8 reps and you hit 8 reps then the next time add on 5 pounds and do that until you hit 8. This worked wonders for me when I was going for strength.

-Learn as much as you can on here. I started lifting when I was 18 and I joined this site when I was 22. I have learned more in the past 6 months than I did in the 3 years I spend reading fitness magazines. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here and TONS of good information. So take advantage of it!
    True. I'm loving this forum. Browsed the others - no good.

so many guys here put up with some of our stupid / repetitive questions but they're teaching me!

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Answers

oh also to planetfuzz... yea I try to add weight like that sometimes...but I get worried with **** like squats / deads / bench it might be too much and I should stay on the same weight and get that done for another week or two before I add weight incase my form ****s up or I drop too many reps...

I go for 5x5s so dropping to like 2-3 reps is kinda annoying... I like to wait till the 5th ones come without too much effort

having said that my bench is stuck atm and in fact dropped a bit in the last month!

5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    oh also to planetfuzz... yea I try to add weight like that sometimes...but I get worried with **** like squats / deads / bench it might be too much and I should stay on the same weight and get that done for another week or two before I add weight incase my form ****s up or I drop too many reps...

I go for 5x5s so dropping to like 2-3 reps is kinda annoying... I like to wait till the 5th ones come without too much effort

having said that my bench is stuck atm and in fact dropped a bit in the last month!
    I feel you on that one. When it comes to adding 5 pounds with dumbbell presses or pull ups,no problem. I am always a little hesitant adding more weight with squats or deadlifts. Especially squats. I've been lifting for years but only recently taken it seriously and only recently been doing squats and deadlifts.

But yeah,this forum is amazing. The best change I made was not going to GNC anymore and learning about lots of these companies that have better products but they are cheaper because they don't spend $$$ on a 5 page ad in Muscle and Fitness. ha. Yeah,lots of the guys have helped me lots. It's good karma! So I defiantly help whenever I can even though I would call myself an experienced beginner.

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Answers

true i agree

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. O/T need help changing a setting on here!
    By criticalbench in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 01:09 AM
  2. Setting up PCT
    By Vallos in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
  3. Setting a Routine
    By arsenal121290 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM
  4. Setting up a PO Box