fast twitch muscle improvements

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  137 lbs.
    Answers

fast twitch muscle improvements

im 16 and at 510 can dunk a basketball but only sometimes. I am wondering if anybody has suggestions on workouts to gain more fast twitch muscles in my legs. Also any routines that could make me be able to jump higher would help?suggestions anything food,workouts,supplements idk anything would help

2. Registered User
    Answers

You cannot gain more 'fast-twitch' muscle fibers, you are genetically predisposed with what arrangement you have; however, you can train to increase performance.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Plyometrics and olympic lifts help to improve your power, which is what you're wanting to develop. Focus also on calf, glute, and hamstring strength to increase your leaping ability.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Like it has been stated, you can not gain any more fast twitch muscle, but you can improve what you already have to some degree. Explosive squats and box jumps work well. Sprinting is also good. In my opinion power cleans are great for vertical leap.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Answers

If your looking to jump higher you need to jump more. I was a ball player and was able to dunk also depspite me being short. I found that simply going out and jumping worked for me. Sometimes I added weights to my ankles. Honestly if you can just barely dunk you can probably get a little more than your palm over the rim so gauge your improvements by how much higher you are able to get from your prior jumps. Working your calves, quads, and glutes in the weight room should help too. Just becareful with the amount of weight you gain from weght training. I cant even come close to dunking anymore but thats what 50 to 60lbs from years of body building will do to you.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  137 lbs.
    Answers

i plan on bulking up from 137 to 175-180 will this affect my jumping then it will b all solid muscle that im gunna pack on?
  7. Registered User
    Answers

You're planning to "pack on" an additional 38 - 43 lbs of "all solid muscle" without gaining any fat? And this is going to take you how long...?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  137 lbs.
    Answers

10-12 months y i is that impossible? but u also have to consider im still a growing teen
  9. Registered User
    Answers

So ~3.2 to ~4.3 of Lean Body Mass (LBM) each month for the next year. Not entirely unreasonable, but it is without gaining additional Fat Mass (FM) along the way.

For the sake of argument, let's say at your present weight of 137 lbs you are 8% Body Fat (BF). That's 126 lbs LBM and 11 lbs FM. If you gain an additional 38 lbs of LBM, that will put you at 175 lbs at ~6.3% BF. Not likely without some additional BF and you probably wouldn't be jumping very high...
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by crazilyfter42 View Post
    If your looking to jump higher you need to jump more. I was a ball player and was able to dunk also depspite me being short. I found that simply going out and jumping worked for me. Sometimes I added weights to my ankles. Honestly if you can just barely dunk you can probably get a little more than your palm over the rim so gauge your improvements by how much higher you are able to get from your prior jumps. Working your calves, quads, and glutes in the weight room should help too. Just becareful with the amount of weight you gain from weght training. I cant even come close to dunking anymore but thats what 50 to 60lbs from years of body building will do to you.

this sounds familiar! I used to be able to grab rim two hands when I was 165lbs and that was a pretty good vert for 5'8'' but now that I am 5'8'' and 205lbs there is basically no way I am getting near the rim. I have stayed relatively explosive within my sport (boxing) but the weight training over the years along with the weight gain (and age prob) has not helped me with the vert!

Mr.50
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Every thing you train has to be with explosive movement, high rep range, lots of plyometrics, calethestics, sprints, agility drills, and some beta-alanine with l-histidine to increase carsonine levels aka fastwitch muscle fibers
    doing my own thang!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fast twitch vs. Slow twitch
    By mrlichty in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
  2. Slow To Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber Conversion
    By hulky10 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM
  3. Fast twitch muscle fibers and slow twitch muscle fibers
    By Overbech in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
  4. Cytosport Fast Twitch Available...
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
  5. Average Slow Twitch and Fast Twitch Composition?
    By jeepthang in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:41 AM