fast twitch muscle improvements

Basketball23

Awards
im 16 and at 510 can dunk a basketball but only sometimes. I am wondering if anybody has suggestions on workouts to gain more fast twitch muscles in my legs. Also any routines that could make me be able to jump higher would help?suggestions anything food,workouts,supplements idk anything would help

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You cannot gain more 'fast-twitch' muscle fibers, you are genetically predisposed with what arrangement you have; however, you can train to increase performance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plyometrics and olympic lifts help to improve your power, which is what you're wanting to develop. Focus also on calf, glute, and hamstring strength to increase your leaping ability.

Johnny7

Awards
Like it has been stated, you can not gain any more fast twitch muscle, but you can improve what you already have to some degree. Explosive squats and box jumps work well. Sprinting is also good. In my opinion power cleans are great for vertical leap.

crazilyfter42

Awards
If your looking to jump higher you need to jump more. I was a ball player and was able to dunk also depspite me being short. I found that simply going out and jumping worked for me. Sometimes I added weights to my ankles. Honestly if you can just barely dunk you can probably get a little more than your palm over the rim so gauge your improvements by how much higher you are able to get from your prior jumps. Working your calves, quads, and glutes in the weight room should help too. Just becareful with the amount of weight you gain from weght training. I cant even come close to dunking anymore but thats what 50 to 60lbs from years of body building will do to you.

Basketball23

Awards
i plan on bulking up from 137 to 175-180 will this affect my jumping then it will b all solid muscle that im gunna pack on?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
You're planning to "pack on" an additional 38 - 43 lbs of "all solid muscle" without gaining any fat? And this is going to take you how long...?

Basketball23

Awards
10-12 months y i is that impossible? but u also have to consider im still a growing teen

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
So ~3.2 to ~4.3 of Lean Body Mass (LBM) each month for the next year. Not entirely unreasonable, but it is without gaining additional Fat Mass (FM) along the way.

For the sake of argument, let's say at your present weight of 137 lbs you are 8% Body Fat (BF). That's 126 lbs LBM and 11 lbs FM. If you gain an additional 38 lbs of LBM, that will put you at 175 lbs at ~6.3% BF. Not likely without some additional BF and you probably wouldn't be jumping very high...

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your looking to jump higher you need to jump more. I was a ball player and was able to dunk also depspite me being short. I found that simply going out and jumping worked for me. Sometimes I added weights to my ankles. Honestly if you can just barely dunk you can probably get a little more than your palm over the rim so gauge your improvements by how much higher you are able to get from your prior jumps. Working your calves, quads, and glutes in the weight room should help too. Just becareful with the amount of weight you gain from weght training. I cant even come close to dunking anymore but thats what 50 to 60lbs from years of body building will do to you.

this sounds familiar! I used to be able to grab rim two hands when I was 165lbs and that was a pretty good vert for 5'8'' but now that I am 5'8'' and 205lbs there is basically no way I am getting near the rim. I have stayed relatively explosive within my sport (boxing) but the weight training over the years along with the weight gain (and age prob) has not helped me with the vert!

Mr.50

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Every thing you train has to be with explosive movement, high rep range, lots of plyometrics, calethestics, sprints, agility drills, and some beta-alanine with l-histidine to increase carsonine levels aka fastwitch muscle fibers