football safety trying to gain strength, size, and speed

istal

Awards
I'm a 15 year old safety for my high school and trying to start on varsity and i am 5'6 140 lbs. I wanted to know if someone could give me some tips on getting stronger, faster, and bigger. It would be extremely appreciated if someone could help me out.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
Does your school not have any type of strength training program set up?

istal

Awards
Yes, we do but its only for current Varsity Players and as of know i,m only j.v. but my coaches say I could start. Also I am only a freshman, but I will be a sophmore entering next season

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
well for strength target compound lifts your school should have a gym probably have the power clean station and squat racks and bench, with deadlifts im assuming you probably know how to do these exercises if not ask someone else around in the gym, and target between 8-10 reps to start with low weight to get the form down properly once you have that get going to 4-6 reps heavy to target strength to gain size you want to get between 8-12 reps, for speed you wanna practice sprints to get your fast twitch muscle fibers going start with a nice easy jog and go on the track and run sprints or if your in the your gymnasium use the basketball court and do the routine called "mountains or ladders" and youll get moving faster. once you get these basics down you need to get a workout program 5x5 ares good for strength to get you going, finally EAT you need to eat to grow man, eat good clean healthy foods lots of protein get yourself a cheap whey protein nutraplanet has some and look into maybe some cheap creatine if your interested and a good multi vitamin and if you do this then you shall start to grow man good luck on your quest!

istal

Awards
See, I would like to do what you say, but i also play basketball and baseball so I don't want to get huge because it will give me a disadvantage in those sports.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
See, I would like to do what you say, but i also play basketball and baseball so I don't want to get huge because it will give me a disadvantage in those sports.
So why did you make this thread? Why are you even bothering if you arent going to focus on what you need to do to be good at football? Just play your other sports and forget about it, at your size, you will ride bench if you dont get some serious mass.

istal

Awards
the thing is i start for the baseball team and basketball team but i would also like to get stronger for football

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
the thing is i start for the baseball team and basketball team but i would also like to get stronger for football
So you lied. You dont want size, you just want strength and speed. I see. Well in high school, unless you play in a big football area, most run things like the Wing and such, throwing like 5 passes a game. That makes you run defense for all intensive purposes. At your height and weight, if you start, youll be lucky to last past a few 250lb fullbacks without a broken arm or separated shoulder.

istal

Awards
well I've already separated my shoulder and were im from everyone runs a spread offense so I'm good with that but i would like to gain some size too, but its hard with basketball and baseball all year

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
You cant play all those sports and meet all of their goals. You just become okay at each one, because you wont have enough time to be great at the others. Like MMA fighters in each separate fighting form. In a metaphor, the slave can only have one true master.

istal

Awards
nice metaphor and i will start focusing on football more thanks for the advice

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Well make sure its what you want. I dont know where you play but football for me was more or less a full time job. Coaches had us training before school, film during off periods and lunch, and practice and lifting after school. I mean, at our size, you have to be exceptional.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
Their also right man if you dont want size then your posting the wrong information for yourself you gotta figure out what it is that you want, you play safety so i understand you have to be fast for those hail marys i played football in highschool as well man so i kno how it is, football you need size big time and lots of strength those 250lb fullbacks that come bursting through the gaps will knock you out if you dont have the strength, but your a safety so your obviously for speed which comes with endurance and more long lasting sprints, baseball you dont need to be huge but fast so i get that, and basketball, well you just need speed so you need to figure out what your game plan is, its not like your gunna blow up massively huge and it will affect your game
Ya i believe mountains are suicides what im thinking of are when you start at the baseline then run quarter of the court and back then halfway court and back, then three quarters of the court and back, and then full length court and back, another good one are gasers if you have like a football field instead of running from goal post to goal post run from side line to side line 16 times you can even do it on a basket ball court you do these every other day man guarantee you will start to lose weight with your diet in check.