Allergic to WHEY, help!

bbastudent

Awards
For some strange reason I am highly allergic to whey protein as I will vomit within half hour of ingestion.

I am currently looking to bulk up, is there any other safe alternatives out there?

and yes I eat my chicken!

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Tuna, lean fish is high in proteins. Jerky has some in it. Lean ground beef and such.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Almonds, nuts of any kind... uh.. im sure one of the other guys who knows more can fill you in. :) Good luck bro, im allergic to painkillers myself so i know the pain.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
hemp protein, egg protein, soy protein... just look around a bit.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
you don't really need whey if your diet is right...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You don't "need" whey but it's cheaper and convenient.

Egg protein is your best bet.

IrishRugby34

IrishRugby34

Awards
Are you lactose intolerant?

That could be part of the problem, but as listed above there are a ton of different type of protein instead of just Whey and they are all reasonably similar.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Whey Isolate is lactose free, I would look into LGs new Gemma Protein.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
You could get some isolate samples from all the whey and see if that is the problem

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I would go after the soy protein. High in arginine! But i dont think the lactose is the problem. ALmost all of your products are lactose free. And since your trying to bulk up i would go after the buffalo, beef, Alot more. Not so much the lean meat. You would be getting alot more fat this way. Make sure your up on your carbs and dont forget the lovely fishoil. Get good stuff not the cheap 1000 pills for 2 bucks!!!

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
aside from all the great food choices that have already been mentioned....fat free milk, casein powder, liquid eggs whites

sigmachiagg11

Awards
if your not lactose intolerant and milk doesnt affect you negatively then it would surprise me, since the protein composition of milk protein is 80% casein and 20% whey. soy, and egg protein is great, like everyone else said. in addition, add some casein to take b4 bed; it digests at a much slower rate, so you wont be catabolic.

elabor

elabor

Awards
I like a protein powder called NitroFusion. It has more BCAAs and glutamine than whey and it contains no dairy, no soy, and no animal protein. Its a blend of brown rice protein concentrate, pea protein isolate, and artichoke protein to make a complete protein with an amino acid profile similar to human mother's milk. The taste takes some getting used to, but it is definitely hypoallergenic! Its also all natural without the artificial sweeteners or colors or flavors.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I like a protein powder called NitroFusion. It has more BCAAs and glutamine than whey and it contains no dairy, no soy, and no animal protein. Its a blend of brown rice protein concentrate, pea protein isolate, and artichoke protein to make a complete protein with an amino acid profile similar to human mother's milk. The taste takes some getting used to, but it is definitely hypoallergenic! Its also all natural without the artificial sweeteners or colors or flavors.
OMG THAT STUFF IS HORRIBLE!!!!! lol.... I almost yaked when i baught two bottles of that stuff.... I think i still got one sitting in my closet collecting dust..... hahaha

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hemp protein, egg protein, soy protein... just look around a bit.
yea these are great, get rid of the soy, its crap

Hemp and Egg protein are great alternatives

you don't really need whey if your diet is right...
x2.

There's also rice protein

as far as the above statements, your both right and wrong.

your right because your diet will provide you with protein,

but your wrong because the protein is inferior to wheys bioavailability.

i would do half and half between shakes and whole food.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
yea these are great, get rid of the soy, its crap

Hemp and Egg protein are great alternatives

as far as the above statements, your both right and wrong.

your right because your diet will provide you with protein,

but your wrong because the protein is inferior to wheys bioavailability.

i would do half and half between shakes and whole food.
so essentially you are saying that you NEED a protein supplement?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so essentially you are saying that you NEED a protein supplement?
you dont neccesarily need a protein supplement but i personally feel like i do for atleast 2 meals of the day due to the better bioavailability.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
"hydrolyzed" whey could definitely be yak-worthy - if it's in what you've been using, stop.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
egg protein powder as mentioned before is probably your best bet, highly bioavailable, and used to be the standard for which protein was judged. The GEMMA protein (pea) also looks promising, but it's still a veggie and lacks the "oomph" of a dairy or animal source... i have no evidence for my reasoning, just a gut feeling. Wheat Protein is now carried by some reputable companies, but that also has the veggie issue, and gluten intolerance is very common so you may want to be careful with that.

As far as speed is concerned, I would go with some EAAs or BCAAs and add some Glutamine or Glutamine Peptides to go with that. If you can get a good amount of that pre, during, post-workout then you are covering your most important protein requirements of the day IMO, since speed is of the essence during that critical time. If you have the $, go ahead and use that first thing in the morning with a quicker digesting carb too.

aside from workout times, and morning, going with the other protein sources should be perfectly fine, including whole food sources, which are the best IMO.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am always a fan of WPI, and I am lactose intolerant. I say hit up some ATW WPI and it should be helpful. If that doesnt work, I have heard some interesting things about Gemma protein

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I do feel alittle bloated after ingesting whey, but thats the only side effect I get. Does Now make egg protein in larger amounts then just 1lb per container?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah its pricey

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i was taking whey isolate. It seems i get alittle nauseous from whey and also eggs. Even though I love eggs if I have too much I'll get nauseous

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I have an allergy to Whey also, so I've switched to egg protein.
The guy at the store tells me it doesn't absorb as fast as some whey proteins but the upside is there's 0 cholesterol and 0 fat in the Healthy N Fit Nutritionals egg protein.

saturn1

Awards
A also had a problem with Whey protein - switched to Egg for post work-out and Hemp in the morning if I don't scramble a few eggs.

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
For some strange reason I am highly allergic to whey protein as I will vomit within half hour of ingestion.

I am currently looking to bulk up, is there any other safe alternatives out there?

and yes I eat my chicken!
Don't do soy, soy increases estrogen production. Egg protein is supposedly good, I havent tried it though. Are you allergic to casein protein? There is also this stuff called carnivore that is 100% powdered beef protein. I think its a little pricey, but I don't know of any protein that isn't expensive other than body fortress