Division 1 Defense End Bulking Up!

jemmons95

Awards
Division 1 defensive end sitting at about 236 after redshirting this year. Looking to try to get to 245 before spring ball and a lean 247-250 by next season. I know it won't be easy but pretty intregal on my season next year and coaches defintley think i could be a big factor on the team. Have never really taken my diet serious but now that im at a division 1 school its a really important part of getting ahead and making myself the best football player i can be. I am very active with workouts and training and have had a tough time recentley putting on weight so here is the bulking schedule i came up with. I am very disciplined so i know i can stick to this, just wanna see how this bulking schedule would be for sum1 that is 6'3 236 and pretty lean.

Breakfast
- 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites
-1 bowl of oatmeal
- 1 boal of yogurt
-2 cups of mixed fruit or 1 piece of fruit (bannana/apple/orange)
- 1 piece of whole wheat toast
-1 glass of milk
- 1 glass of apple/grape/ cranberry juice

Mid Morning Meal
-1 cup of almonds
-1 packet/can of tuna
-1 piece of fruit
-1 granola bar

Lunch
-2 chicken breasts
-1 serving pasta
-1 whole wheat turkey and ham sandwhich with mustard
- 1 serving vegetables
- Powerade
- Water

Post Workout Meal (3pm)
- 1 Cytogainer Shake
- 1 Peanut Butter Sandwhich on Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 serving size of pretzels

Dinner
- 2 Rottisirie Chicken / 2 Burger Patties without Bread
- 1 Serving Vegetables
- Brown or Wheat Rice
- Salad
- Oatmeal
- Turkey/Lean Meat 2 servings
- 1 glass milk
- 1 glass juice

Pre-Bed Meal
-Cottage Cheese
-Trail Mix

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: 1 to 1.5 gallons of water

Supplements:
Creatine Monohydrate
Cytogainer
White Flood (Pre-Workout)
Orange Triad Multivitamin

Really any help is greatly appreciated. I am not sure how many calories this is but i do need to eat a lot to gain weight with such a heavy training and lifting schedule. I have never really done any sort of calorie counting or anything like that. Obviously I do not need to be as strict as a bodybuilder but all my dreams and goals do rely heavily on my nutriton a lot.I am very dedicated and hopefulluy will still be able to improve a lot. I have done much research on bodybuilding.com and finally feel my research is coming full circle and have a good grasp on most of it. Any experts on diet definitley appreciated and on supplements too.

Here are my current stats

Height 6'3
Weight: 235
Position: Defensive End
Bench: 330
Squat: 435
Hang Clean: 290
40: 4.89
Vertical Jump: 31 inches
Year: Freshman (will be redshirt freshman next season)

Thank you everyone for your help, i am very dedicated and appreciate any advice on being the best! Any help nutirion and supplement wise. Training is really determined by my school since im a d1 athlete but they are doing a great job.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I have a hard time believing your strength coach hasnt really started working with you, where do you play.

At your weight, Im surprised youre a DE. Thats barely linebacker weight and you 40 is fairly slow. Im not talking **** here, but just throwing that out there. Ill collect my thoughts and post later.

jemmons95

Awards
I play at a FCS Division 1 school (D1AA). They have given me nutrition plans but it involves pizza cheeseburgers and all this other ****. I dont wanna get slow and lose the speed which gives me an advantage over offensive linemen. I do beleive I could gain weight on their nutrition plan but Im looking out for my own future here and I think the infortmation on here is better in terms of nutrition. I am not knocking the program because the gains in the workouts and training are great, i just beleive the bulking up forums on here would be more efficient in adding lean mass

jemmons95

Awards
I have a hard time believing your strength coach hasnt really started working with you, where do you play.

At your weight, Im surprised youre a DE. Thats barely linebacker weight and you 40 is fairly slow. Im not talking **** here, but just throwing that out there. Ill collect my thoughts and post later.

lol im 19 years old. eventually ill get to the 250's and 260's. You are very very uneducated if you think 6'3 250's runing in the mid 4.8's is easy to find. 40 times are very consistently lied about. Just looking for help here

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
lol im 19 years old. eventually ill get to the 250's and 260's. You are very very uneducated if you think 6'3 250's runing in the mid 4.8's is easy to find. 40 times are very consistently lied about. Just looking for help here
I grew up in Texas 5A football, not exactly a football know nothing. Im talking for your height and weight. Not for a DE. But (good sized) DEs are 260+. I mean, theres good enough and then theres good.

jemmons95

Awards
I grew up in Texas 5A football, not exactly a football know nothing. Im talking for your height and weight. Not for a DE. But (good sized) DEs are 260+. I mean, theres good enough and then theres good.

appreciate your positive contribution to my thread

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
hes not too small for DE, especially a freshman DE, and a 4.8 legit 40 at that size isnt slow at all, especially for a d linemen. and at 19, 240+ 6'3 running a 4.8 is more than fine, theres room for improvement, but thats why hes here.

BigT4040

BigT4040

Awards
For real those D1 schools got some crazy programs goin. I played against Mcneese this year when they wer ranked 6th or 8th, damn good team, lineman were insane. Thats awesome bro, D1 is the way to go. Prob already kno this but squats are where its at. How many days a week they got u liftin or runnin?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
hey bro, that diet looks pretty good. I play college ball to and my diet is very similar. Its tough to get acess to all the good foods while at college. try adding up all ure carbs fats and protein and see what the numbers look like for a typical day. Try and find a good ratio on the internet for bulking and then see how ure claoric needs fit into that. Good luck with everything man. And the poster before is a tard for thinking ure numbers arent great.

IrishRugby34

IrishRugby34

Awards
Like Pav said add up all the nutrion facts and see where your cals and everything are sitting.

A general way to calculate it is take your body weight and multiply by 15 which for you is 3525 that is how many calories you need to take in to maintain your weight. Now from there you can add more calories on top of that to gain weight.

As for your workout I am sure your coaches have something for you, but as PMiller told me...Lift Big, Get Big.

Good Luck man.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah i dunno about 3500 cals for you. Im 226 and i need to consume 4,000 or so calories a day to mantain and keep my body building from lifting. Try annd do somewhere like 4,500 or so..I know how much energy u use with all the rough lifts and running. Even buy a scale for ure room and you can moniter how ure calories are effecting ure weight.

smoke dog

Awards
Your diet looks excellent! Seriously though... Maintain solid nutrition as a lifestyle, not just a short term "diet". By adhering to this form of self discipline you will be able to accomplish your goals as well as begin to learn more about how your body reacts to subtle changes in macro-nutrients.

FYI for a 6'3" 235lb male about 10%bf

-Basal Metabolic Rate = 2400 calories per day. (that is only if you literally lay in bed all day)
-For a Very Active person you would multiply BMR by 1.725
-Your total caloric intake should be about 4000 calories per day, every day in order to gain lean mass, without excess fat gain. This is where you should start. You can slightly raise or lower the calories(carb intake) depending on your activity level.
:food:
Your Macro nutrient breakdown should be: 55%Carbs/25%Fat/20%Protein. That means that your daily dietary breakdown is: 550g carbs/111g fat/200g protein

I myself am also a Defensive End. You have a lot to work with, but a long way to go... I have been at this for a long time my friend. The level of dedication and sacrifice that it takes to excel in collegiate football is immense. Keep up the hard work, be disciplined (don't drink booze), and have faith. You will dominate next season!!! :thumbsup:

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
why do u suggest such high fat? heres where im at for football offseason.... 580g Carbs, 385 g protein and 35 g fat.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
Your Macro nutrient breakdown should be: 55%Carbs/25%Fat/20%Protein. That means that your daily dietary breakdown is: 550g carbs/111g fat/200g protein
QUOTE]

i dunno wat to say man.. i have never heard of any macro breakdown like that in my life.. he needs way more protein to heal up after long work outs and put on quality mass
50c/30p/20f.. or 45/35/20

smoke dog

Awards
First of all, the "bro-science" that you read about online is not based on proven scientific evidence. It may not effect your opinion on the matter, but my advice is based off of an associates degree in nutrition along with an ACE personal training certification. The NCSF recommends a 15%P/30%F/55%C. DRI

I personally feel that there is no need for such a high amount of fat in ones diet. Therefore i recommend fat intake to be at or around 20-25% total caloric intake. The lowered amount of calories from fat allow an increase in protein intake.

It is extremely ignorant to recommends 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight; which i have seen countless times on these such forums. For cases of extreme protein breakdown such as Vigorous Bodybuilding/Strength Training, or wasting disease such as HIV/AIDS the ACE and NCSF recommend 1.6-2g/per kg of body weight. That means that a 235 pound football player requires no more than about 214 grams of protein per day.

With that said, there are a couple other things to consider. Number one; If you want to increase your weight from 235 to 245 without raising body fat percentage you must basically take in the protein requirements of someone who is of your desired weight. Eat bigger=Get bigger. Duhh.

I do believe that it is more practical to consume 1 gram per pound of body weight, rather than 1.6-2g/per kg bw. The only time that you would ever benefit from a significant increase in protein over what i have already stated is if you are either severely depleting carbs during a "cut", or you are using Anabolic Steroids in order to up-regulate protein synthesis far above natural physiological levels.

I hope some of this will sink in. But when all of your common mis-understandings are reinforced by what you hear and read, based on "bro-science", it is hard to change....

I mean no offense to anyone specifically. Every bodies metabolism is different. As i stated in my original post, there may be some slight modifications to my initial recommendations based on each individual. But i do sincerely believe that the advice i have given is worth a serious consideration. Thank You.

Devorkian

Devorkian

Awards
*Chime* you may want to consider adding something like a digestive optimizer to help absorb those nutrients and put them to better use, to help your overall digestive system. I have been on one for two months and I have noticed a big difference from previous months with out it. Not brand dropping, but I have been using RPN's GutHealth....good stuff. In a nutshell these organisms **** gold lol....:dump:

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
smoke dog, whats ure body fat% I dont know a lot about diet so just asking, not trying to be a prick. How does 30% fat work for you? Ive personally felt my best gains at well above 1 grams per pound of body weight. That may be because of many other factors, but just saying...

smoke dog

Awards
smoke dog, whats ure body fat% I dont know a lot about diet so just asking, not trying to be a prick. How does 30% fat work for you? Ive personally felt my best gains at well above 1 grams per pound of body weight. That may be because of many other factors, but just saying...
The only time i have intentionally consumed high levels of fat in my diet plan is, believe it or not, ON A CUT!!! Sounds crazy right... Seriously though. When i am cutting, i limit my carbohydrate intake to only about 35% of caloric intake, and deplete carbs almost completely on my 'off/active rest days'. The majority of my Lifting and Speed Training days carbs come in the morning and pre-workout. My cutting diet turns out to be about a 35%C/35%P/30%F Macro nutrient breakdown. In which case the protein intake does exceed 1g/pound bw, and the majority of the dietary fat comes from unsaturated sources such as peanuts, and olive oil to cook with. I also supplement in a lot of fat with about 6 grams of flaxseed oil and 8 grams of fish/salmon oil.

Word of caution! Athletic performance suffers greatly on this type of diet. There is absolutely no need to ever do a diet like this if you compete in any sport except possibly Bodybuilding. I felt very lethargic pretty much all the time. My muscular endurance suffered greatly, muscle strength and general cardiovascular ability were halted but were not devastated. I did lose about 15 pounds and 6%BF in 6 weeks with no other supplements other than a multi-vitamin, flax/fish oil, and protein shakes.

Some of my current stats are:

Barbell Bench- 385
Back Squat- 455x10 (i dont feel a need to increase weight at this point)
Deadlift- 495
Hang Clean- sloppy 265 (im really trying to work on this)

40 yard- 4.78 sec.

vert. jump- 33"

broad jump- 9' 11"

Height- 6' 1"
Weight-250lbs (goal of 260 by February)
Current BF%18 (up 2% in the last 6 weeks, will not exeed 20%, i hope...)

smoke dog

Awards
why do u suggest such high fat? heres where im at for football offseason.... 580g Carbs, 385 g protein and 35 g fat.
You are at less than 10% caloric intake from fat. I would say that if you increased it to 15% you would enjoy eating alot more lol, and probably realize a more successful lean mass gaining program. FYI, i browsed through your log, take your mass fx or JW or whatever pro-hormone with some fat; it will absorb much more efficiently that way.:thumbsup:

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the help bro. Yeah i may increase my fat intake and see what happens. It used to be much higher during school but now that im home for break ive dropped it a ton. I have actaully noticed a bit of a differnce to. The veins in my arms are much more noticable and my abs look more cut. Ive also put on some weight which is real good. I dont really like eating crappy foods though and i dont mind the low fat food everyday. Maybe ill step it up in the next week or so on fat and see how that goes.

Do you suggest taking the mass fx or prohormone with say flaxseed oil and some PB or what? You play college ball too right? I dunno what level ure at, but do u take test boosters and PH's? I know most of the guys at the higher levels really cant do that kind of stuff becuase of testing and stuff.

smoke dog

Awards
Keeping the fat to a minimum for your pre-workout meal/snack is a good idea. You may notice a bit more energy that way... As i said before, im not recommending that a the fat come from big macs and French Fry's. Get your fat from unsaturated sources such as olive, canola, vegetable oils, nuts... Some healthy vegetable sources for saturated fat would include avocados and coconuts....

Your pre-workout dose of PH's should be accompanied by a few grams of healthy fat such as flax, sesame, fish, or even CLA oil. On a side note, flaxseed ligands have been shown to have an estrogen like effect in the human body. This is not an entirely bad thing, but some consideration may need to be taken...

My football path has been a very rocky one. Long story short, i didnt take any of my partial scholarship offers out of high school because i thought it was time to "grow-up". Deciding to play a year after graduation, i went to a local NOR-CAL Junior College and have since broken my foot and pointer finger, 2nd degree sprained my hip flexor and hamstring, have had surgery for sports hernia surgery, and shattered my humorous which required an 8" steel plate permanently screwed into my arm for life... Now im almost 22 years old and still have 1 more year of JC eligibility and 2 years left at a four year after transfer.

California JC Football does not drug test. There are about a dozen players (out of 100+) who use juice. I have never used anything illegally, but since junior year in high school i have used a wide array or pro-hormone. At this point, i have no need for anything other than solid nutrition and some creatine mono.

Sorry for the official hijacking of this thread.