drinking to much?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.

drinking to much?

When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
    cup and half of ice cream-200cal

12oz milk-210 cal
    1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal

2. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

No way in hell you need that much nutrition before you go to bed. I would say as a general rule, 300 or so calories at the most. You should be focusing on trying to incorporate that shake around your workout, or upon awakening.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.

is it bad to drink that before bed?
    and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though? It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

what i do is i take a blender put 4 scoops of dextrose with maltodextrins, around 30 gr whey protein, 2 scoops peanut butter (the sat fat slows down the rate at which the protein gets absorbed) 1 cup of dry regular oatmeal i blend that all up and when i wake up in the morning im as hard as a rock and STARVING. lol considering i just woke up time to go make that breakfast.
  5. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Doubravkody View Post
    is it bad to drink that before bed?
    YES
    and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though?
    You are consuming half your daily calories requirement in one liquid meal.
    It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...
    You are putting too much strain on your stomach with such a high volume of liquid and then laying down. You will especially strain your lower esophagus. You are setting your self up for GERD and or nocturnal exfixiate. You will eventually make yourself sick.

GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Acid Reflux, Heartburn) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

A bulking diet is not a gorging diet.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

1 scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup milk
    1 banana

or something similar
  7. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

I usually eat about 20% of my daily intake when I wake up, pre WO, and post WO. That leaves me 40% to snack on during the day, and have a big lunch.
  8. Registered User

1100 calories before bed = Terrible idea

strain on particular organs
    affects sleep
    bad for digestive system
    inhibits GH production
    can facilitate fat storage
  9. Registered User

Weight gain mixes = terrible idea
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

1 scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup milk
    1 banana

or something similar

nothing else to say after that.
  11. Registered User

When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
    cup and half of ice cream-200cal

12oz milk-210 cal
    1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal
    WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
    i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Dude if it's not making you fat and seems like it's helping keep doing it.
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lilGiant View Post
    WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
    i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!
    cottage cheese and almonds 30g protein 10g fat
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

ice cream is good tho
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.

I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed
    You should never feel like your chest is going to explode. If a meal makes you feel that way it is probably too big. Why not replace the 200 cals of ice cream with something healty. Oats and a banana?
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.

in the drink?
    I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...

But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...

See how it goes

Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

in the drink?
    I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...
    Get a better blender...or make a thicker shake by taking out some of the liquid you are using. That should help keep some of the oatmeal suspended and will help with the volume in your stomach also.

But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...
    Drinking anything high volume before bed is really hard on your stomach, not to mention you do not digest food/nutrients that well during the night. I would say give yourself AT LEAST 30 minutes before you go to bed.

Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me
    Its all dependant on your diet and your workout, age, and body type.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.

id drink 2 scoops of some casein protein in a cup of milk. ~12 oz ~400 cal 60g of slow digesting protein!! you dont need much more than that before bed
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

for grinding up the oatmeal you could use a mini food processer. it chops it up to the consistancy of protein powder. you can also throw any liquid or anything else for that matter and you have a nice consistant, smooth shake. it works really well you can get pretty good deals on them at sears or something like that, or you can drop like 500 bucks on a vitamixer.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. drinking once in a while..
    By sportf190 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
  2. anyone actually go out drinking?
    By justreading in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
  3. drinking and mt1
    By abzolute in forum Anabolics