drinking to much?

  1. New Member
    Doubravkody's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    166
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    3.18%

    drinking to much?


    When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

    2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
    cup and half of ice cream-200cal

    12oz milk-210 cal
    1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal

  2. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1503
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    No way in hell you need that much nutrition before you go to bed. I would say as a general rule, 300 or so calories at the most. You should be focusing on trying to incorporate that shake around your workout, or upon awakening.
  3. New Member
    Doubravkody's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    166
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    3.18%

    is it bad to drink that before bed?
    and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though? It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    king1033's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    581
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    14.36%

    what i do is i take a blender put 4 scoops of dextrose with maltodextrins, around 30 gr whey protein, 2 scoops peanut butter (the sat fat slows down the rate at which the protein gets absorbed) 1 cup of dry regular oatmeal i blend that all up and when i wake up in the morning im as hard as a rock and STARVING. lol considering i just woke up time to go make that breakfast.
  5. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,818
    Rep Power
    1264209

    Quote Originally Posted by Doubravkody View Post
    is it bad to drink that before bed?
    YES
    and if I drink it before my workout it fills me up to much to where, I cant really workout because im very full if that makes sense... so I'll just try taking it after if thats good, but is it not harmful to drink that much calorie intake at one time though?
    You are consuming half your daily calories requirement in one liquid meal.
    It dont increase my chances for a heart attack or anything right...
    You are putting too much strain on your stomach with such a high volume of liquid and then laying down. You will especially strain your lower esophagus. You are setting your self up for GERD and or nocturnal exfixiate. You will eventually make yourself sick.

    GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Acid Reflux, Heartburn) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

    A bulking diet is not a gorging diet.
  6. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    534
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

    Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

    I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

    1 scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup milk
    1 banana

    or something similar
  7. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1503
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    51.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I usually eat about 20% of my daily intake when I wake up, pre WO, and post WO. That leaves me 40% to snack on during the day, and have a big lunch.
  8. Advanced Member
    BoyFromAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    429
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    47.4%

    1100 calories before bed = Terrible idea

    strain on particular organs
    affects sleep
    bad for digestive system
    inhibits GH production
    can facilitate fat storage
  9. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4772
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    65.07%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Weight gain mixes = terrible idea
  10. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3263
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Follow this general rule. Eat the majority of your calories on training days post-workout. On non-training days get the majority of your calories in the morning. A shake that large before bed is absurd. Try to concentrate on fat and protein before bed. Not only do carbs blunt GH response but you simply don't need them that late in the day.

    I would also recommend eating something small and manageable before a workout. Eat enough so that you wont run out of steam mid-workout but don't over do it. A pretty common concoction I use and a lot of other people use is:

    1 scoop whey
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup milk
    1 banana

    or something similar


    nothing else to say after that.
  11. New Member
    lilGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    137
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    91.28%

    Quote Originally Posted by Doubravkody View Post
    When I take my calorie drink, I usually take it before bed, usually around 1000-1100 calories, along with lots of protein/carbs/fats, Id say its probably between 16-24ozs, but alot of times after taking it I feel too full, then when I lie down i feel like my chest is gonna explode... is this me just being full or is it unhealthy?

    2 Weight gain mix- 510 cals
    cup and half of ice cream-200cal

    12oz milk-210 cal
    1 1/2 tbsp PB- 300 cal
    WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
    i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!
  12. Senior Member
    wrasslin116's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    878
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    22.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Dude if it's not making you fat and seems like it's helping keep doing it.
  13. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lilGiant View Post
    WOW....LESS CARBS, NO ICE CREAM!!!
    i would sugesst keeping your meal before bed as clean as possible. I would recomend cottage cheese, a shot of olive oil, all natural peanut butter, 2% milk, maybe some whey every now and then. HI glycemic carbs are the dumbest thing you can do before bed!! stay away from sugar! Thats why you feel like a fat ass! CLean it up and youll be good to go bro!
    cottage cheese and almonds 30g protein 10g fat
  14. New Member
    v4nce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    111
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    30.16%

    ice cream is good tho
  15. New Member
    Doubravkody's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    166
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    3.18%

    I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed
  16. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    534
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    53.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by Doubravkody View Post
    I'm still going to take the shake, I am mad skinny, I just won't take it before bed
    You should never feel like your chest is going to explode. If a meal makes you feel that way it is probably too big. Why not replace the 200 cals of ice cream with something healty. Oats and a banana?
  17. New Member
    Doubravkody's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    166
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    3.18%

    in the drink?
    I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...

    But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...

    See how it goes

    Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me
  18. New Member
    IrishRugby34's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    144
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    9.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Doubravkody View Post
    in the drink?
    I've tried doing oatmeal with it but it all sank to the bottom, my blender sucks...
    Get a better blender...or make a thicker shake by taking out some of the liquid you are using. That should help keep some of the oatmeal suspended and will help with the volume in your stomach also.

    But maybe I only felt like that because right after I would go to bed...
    Drinking anything high volume before bed is really hard on your stomach, not to mention you do not digest food/nutrients that well during the night. I would say give yourself AT LEAST 30 minutes before you go to bed.

    Also, is 3 pounds every 2 weeks reasonable goal? Whether it be fat or muscle, doesnt matter to me
    Its all dependant on your diet and your workout, age, and body type.
  19. New Member
    lciaccio's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    247
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    26.7%

    id drink 2 scoops of some casein protein in a cup of milk. ~12 oz ~400 cal 60g of slow digesting protein!! you dont need much more than that before bed
  20. New Member
    sumbum801's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    228
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    55.56%

    for grinding up the oatmeal you could use a mini food processer. it chops it up to the consistancy of protein powder. you can also throw any liquid or anything else for that matter and you have a nice consistant, smooth shake. it works really well you can get pretty good deals on them at sears or something like that, or you can drop like 500 bucks on a vitamixer.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. drinking once in a while..
    By sportf190 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
  2. anyone actually go out drinking?
    By justreading in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
  3. drinking and mt1
    By abzolute in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 08:52 PM
  4. drinking on ckd
    By Rictor33 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in