my first bulking phase

Prodogy

Awards
Ok so i posted a thread called closest thing to prohormone and so from what everyone told i should eat more than i already am which is approx= 2100 cals, 150 gr of protien.

so this month staring; Dec 1 ,I am going to double my intake making it 4000 and 230 here's how hopefully:

6:20am- 1.5 litre of milk
6:30am-11:00am- focus on vegis and fruits
12:00pm-5:00pm Drink first shake ( drink a shake every hour for a total of 5 shakes , of muscle juice 2544) with creatine 20 gr per day

5:00pm workout, and after workout drink last shake

*****************NOTE***********************
In between shakes i will be eating canned of tuna, hamburger, rice and chicken etc .

this is so i will be makeing adjustments to this diet as I go ; I will be updateing this every Friday with my weight gain and hopefully a before and after pic at the end of the month if i can get my hands on a camera anyways the amount of calories i have posted is only from the shake and not from the real food i will consuming tips are welcome!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
that's a lot of shakes. and what you were eating is a very low amount of calories. i would guess that your mono fat intake is really low, which has to change.

also, shakes are supplements, that means they supplement food. whole food is always better except post workout. a preworkout shake won't hurt though.

therefore, the only tweaks i would make, is adding in some natural peanut butter, cut those 5 shakes down to 2 or three. pre/post workout are really the only time to take them, simply from the empty calorie (high sugar) content.

as one ecto to another, i will tell you that i noticed a huge increase in my energy levels on a daily basis when i added a cup of half and half to my morning cup of coffee. now i'm at 3 cups of half and half with my breakfast, which is an easy 960 calories added to my diet.

hopefully the following links will give you any information i've missed :)
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/109366-ectomorph-workout.html

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Five shakes is a lot. Nothing can replace whole food.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought I drank a lot of shakes at 3 a day. Guess not.

Prodogy

Awards
its 8:00am.... woke up today at 7:00am instead of the 6 i intended to but no matter i will get that down tommorow drinking the 1.5L milk was no problem and as for the shakes i will cut down to four instead of 5 and probably replace the fifth one with turkey

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
even four is still high man 3 is the limit id say whole foods are what you need tuna, peanut butter, steak, veggies, fruits everything and anything you can eat dont take food away cause you have shakes to replace them man not good!! need to eat real food!

Prodogy

Awards
I just had my first shake of the day at 12:00pm (muscle juice 2544) it was strawberry flavour which surprisingly tasted pretty good ,2 scoops mixed into 500mls pretty damn good!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
4k calories into my day so far, time to hit the weights :)

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
If you are really sitting around 144 lbs, 4000 kcals with 230 cals PRO is overkill. Unless you are heavily assisted or doing a lot of energy work, you are going to get fat. The body can only build so much muscle, beyond that, it'll be stored if it is not oxidized. Without any additional information, I would roughly put you around 2,600 to 2,800 kcals/day as a good starting point.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
If you are really sitting around 144 lbs, 4000 kcals with 230 cals PRO is overkill. Unless you are heavily assisted or doing a lot of energy work, you are going to get fat. The body can only build so much muscle, beyond that, it'll be stored if it is not oxidized. Without any additional information, I would roughly put you around 2,600 to 2,800 kcals/day as a good starting point.
for an ecto, 4k is considered a "beginners bulk". its the body frame. if the OP starts putting on fat from a 4k diet, lower it by 300 calories per week until this slows down to an acceptable increase. gaining fat on a bulk is normal. for an ecto to break 12-13% body fat is a bit much.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
That's funny! How much muscle will he be gaining per week on this "beginner's bulk?"

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would not jump to 4k right away if you were at 2100 go up slowly and your body will have time to adjust and you won't have as many gastric issues. try adding like 200-300 a day till you get to your desired intake and then stay there

Prodogy

Awards
I am willing to experiment with this bulking phase and really i have to say that i don't easily gain weight so... maybe 4k is a lot maybe its just right, I will adjust my diet as i go a long this bulking phase, I want to learn a lot from this month as well and you can't learn well without making a LITTLE mistakes here and there

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
You are almost doubling you calories. Do you know how much muscle the average, non-assisted person can gain per week? What happens to the excess calories that are not used for that purpose and that are not oxidized?

Where did you get 4K cals from?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
That's funny! How much muscle will he be gaining per week on this "beginner's bulk?"
at most? half a pound per week. probably only a third pound per week. 4k calories for an ecto isn't really a huge amount. the ecto body doesn't want to increase fat or muscle amounts, so you have to force it to do so. most endo's at 144 would probably bulk with 2800-3100 calories.

my starting bulk was 3.5k when i was 126 lbs, so i say this from personal experience :)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
You are almost doubling you calories. Do you know how much muscle the average, non-assisted person can gain per week? What happens to the excess calories that are not used for that purpose and that are not oxidized?

Where did you get 4K cals from?
2 pounds per month for an ecto :)

excess will turn into fat, and again, once 12-13% fat is reached - upper abs aren't visible, way too many calories are being consumed. as i said earlier, if 4k starts putting fat on, adjust the diet down a bit. for an ecto, 4k in my experience is a good start.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
me - june 2005 - 126 lbs :

me - jan 2008 - 176 lbs - all natural :

you also have to figure that ecto's have a high metabolism, and to get the body to the point where its putting on muscle drives that metabolism even higher - that's the ecto's sticking point. the general rule of thumb is 15-20 calories per pound = bulking diet. for an ecto, i think 25 calories per pound is a better option.

diet, total body workout. nothing has ever given me better results. just shy of 50 lbs in 30 months isn't too shabby. look at my ecto baby wrists!!!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but i'd say he's not an ecto if he wasn't wasting away and going anorexic on 2100 cals.

Really other than on gear of some sort I dont think you should bump cals by more than 500 a day over where you were the prior week, except switching off a contest diet right after the contest.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
but i'd say he's not an ecto if he wasn't wasting away and going anorexic on 2100 cals.

Really other than on gear of some sort I dont think you should bump cals by more than 500 a day over where you were the prior week, except switching off a contest diet right after the contest.
i was wasting away at 126. daily caloric intake was probably 2-2.1k calories. as soon as i started going to the gym, my body needed 2.5k daily just to maintain that, which in my opinion is where many ecto's loose sight of their goal. eating 400-500 calories more and still not growing, they give up or turn to gear. but those 500 calories are spent working out - it doesn't equal 500 more calories to bulk - that's why i was recommending a larger than average jump in calories :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm yeah, I can see a larger jump in cals, but over 4-6 weeks. thats still not a long time to ramp up from 2100 a week to 4k a week. Part of it is even just getting used to forcing down that much more food and not relying so much on half your cals being from shakes.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
i was wasting away at 126. daily caloric intake was probably 2-2.1k calories. as soon as i started going to the gym, my body needed 2.5k daily just to maintain that, which in my opinion is where many ecto's loose sight of their goal. eating 400-500 calories more and still not growing, they give up or turn to gear. but those 500 calories are spent working out - it doesn't equal 500 more calories to bulk - that's why i was recommending a larger than average jump in calories :)
Good advice Suncloud.

Prodogy

Awards
I just got back to the gym and today was the first day I took creatine and i could lift for a lot longer than i usually do, by usually i mean 2set of 10 today was 3/12 can creatine really take effect that quick or is it just in my head or maybe because i was loading up on calories??

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
probably just the calories, particularly if you went higher on carbs than usual

Prodogy

Awards
ok well today is friday and i weighed myself at the gym and i weight 148lb from my previous 144 at the beginning of the month

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am an ecto, and I would never go as high as 25 cals per lb of body weight, but that is just me. Nice results though SC!

Prodogy

Awards
btw i completly forgot to say that i dropped my calorie intake to 3000 instead of the 4000 that I intended to.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would start out at 18-20 cals per pound of BW. Adjust it from there. That 2592-2880. 3000 is fine though I guess.