Ever tried dead lifting after squats?

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever tried doing dead lifts after wasting your legs on squats?

I tried it the other day and gotta say... what a pain in the ass - I'm not doing it again!

when it came to the dead lifts I just could not be f'd.

Honestly, if you do this, then hats off. I'm not hardcore enough for it.

lol...

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I used to do this and it would tear me up real nice but I just decided to split my deads and squats up.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Really don't see the point in doing this.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I used to but they get in the way with each other and I separate them

Squats - M,F

DL - W

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I can't see the point in doing both the same day, even day after. I would split them up at least 2 days apart. First, they together are to hard on the back. Second, they are the top exercises for releasing growth hormone in your body,... splitting them means more gh to go around!!!

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not exactly a recipe for success, I would space them as far apart as possible unless your doing higher rep stuff and even then it would be far from optimal. Certainly hope you aren't trying ME (Max Effort) with these two back to back. I always save both movements for the end of my workout, after those two I am always trashed.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Every tuesday..........I do squats(my buddy wont) then we do deads together.....

I hit squats hard.

His DL's are light so i just do what he does........185 or so.

My legs are torched.........

I have almost passed out, puked and hyperventilated.

I must admit my legs and back have seen gains.

I have used "starting strength" with success as well...........MWF, ABA then BAB and so on.

Workout A

* Squats: 3 x 5
* Bench Press: 3 x 5
* Deadlift: 1 x 5
* Dips (weighted): 2 x 5-8

Workout B

* Squats: 3 x 5
* Press: 3 x 5
* Power Clean: 3 x 5
* Chin-ups: 3 x 8

Every Workout / Assistance Work

* Weighted Sit-ups at a 45 degree angle on decline bench: 3 x 5
* Weighted Hyper-extensions: 3 x 8

Deads and Squats together ARE NOT too much if caloric intake and rest are on par.

yoked317

yoked317

Awards
it depends on what your trying to work, I actually include heavy romanian deads(straight leg) in my leg workouts quite a bit, it is a great hit on my hams and also helps add to the muscle density in the lower back. but if you are doing heavy squats and then finishing off your legs just to go on to deadlifts and huck weight around for the soul purpose of working your back, then you are working the two largest muscle groups in the body, and it might be a little contradicting, you should have a good two days in between
~Yoked

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
it depends on what your trying to work, I actually include heavy romanian deads(straight leg) in my leg workouts quite a bit, it is a great hit on my hams and also helps add to the muscle density in the lower back. but if you are doing heavy squats and then finishing off your legs just to go on to deadlifts and huck weight around for the soul purpose of working your back, then you are working the two largest muscle groups in the body, and it might be a little contradicting, you should have a good two days in between
~Yoked
Yeah, maybe Romanian deads to finish off your hams - but not the full-blown version.

joelast

joelast

Awards
~Yoked
RDL is a staple in my leg workout, best hammy workout IMO. I used to do deadlifts after legs for about a month but when i split them up I see much better strength gains on my deads.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
RDL is a staple in my leg workout, best hammy workout IMO. I used to do deadlifts after legs for about a month but when i split them up I see much better strength gains on my deads.
Good Mornings s/set with RDL work pretty well.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Squats and deadlifts are usually the centerpieces of my legs and back routines, respectively. There's no way I'd do them both on the same day! :D

teribleturtle

Awards

I tried it the other day and gotta say... what a pain in the ass - I'm not doing it again!

lol...[/QUOTE

That including some calf raises is typically my leg rountine. I bang out about 6 sets of squats at various weight and repititions for each set and then finish off the workout with 3-4 sets of deadlifts at about 8 reps each set. This is a gruelling workout!!!! and I am typically sore from my legs for the following 3-4 days, depending on the intensity sometimes I can barely walk the next day. But I have seen tremendous gains since I started doing this back in March. Back then I was regularly squatting 205 or now I regularly squatting 315 or so. I know those are super impressive numbers but I am not a very big guy ( 5'7 160lbs)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yeah. that's really fun. i don't do them in the same superset though, because THAT is way too hard for me. if you check dragonfly's log, she does squats/deads in the same superset.

i would suggest she is much more hardcore than you :) of course, that makes her more hardcore than me :think:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think I've ever done them together, unless I was trying to do a whole-body routine to blast my metabolism and went lighter on both. Today I just deadlifts + Clean & Press and it took it right out of me!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
steveoph, deads and C&P are pretty brutal as well. possibly harder.

if you were crazy enough to do a HIIT style workout, then do a finishing superset of "overhead squats" and C&P, you can almost FEEL the rush of growth hormone kicking in. it kicks in by getting all the food out of your stomach :hammer:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
steveoph, deads and C&P are pretty brutal as well. possibly harder.

if you were crazy enough to do a HIIT style workout, then do a finishing superset of "overhead squats" and C&P, you can almost FEEL the rush of growth hormone kicking in. it kicks in by getting all the food out of your stomach :hammer:
I couldn't complete my HIIT sprints afterwards lol. I got the first 4 done, 5th my legs just couldn't sprint lol, kept at a slow pace for 4 minutes then was spent. I took 2 LR & 2 DCP before the workouts though, and I was sweating so hard my eyes were burning lol. Hell I was sweatier than almost everyone else before I even got one the elliptical!

For the clean & press, I was trying a rep-pause-rep method. I just started cleans 2 weeks ago, but I put on a weight I find pretty heavy right now, and would do a rep every 10s. My back is quite sore, I'm curious how the DOMS will be tomorrow lol.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Squats and deads in the same workout aren't uncommon for anyone who follows powerlifting routines. Now I wouldn't go and do a lot of volume on both but it is pretty routine for me to work up to a max single in one and then a few sets of 5 with the other. Speed days will commonly consist of speed squats followed by speed pulls too, again not really overdoing it on each though. I will suggest if you are doing deadlifts after squats though that you change the range of motion on them so you are either pulling a lighter weight from a deficit or a heavier than normal weight from the rack or blocks so that you have a short ROM.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't complete my HIIT sprints afterwards lol. I got the first 4 done, 5th my legs just couldn't sprint lol, kept at a slow pace for 4 minutes then was spent. I took 2 LR & 2 DCP before the workouts though, and I was sweating so hard my eyes were burning lol. Hell I was sweatier than almost everyone else before I even got one the elliptical!

For the clean & press, I was trying a rep-pause-rep method. I just started cleans 2 weeks ago, but I put on a weight I find pretty heavy right now, and would do a rep every 10s. My back is quite sore, I'm curious how the DOMS will be tomorrow lol.
man... DOMS is gonna beat you down. something which might make the DOMS more bearable, is to go back to the gym and do squats/C&P with 1st warmup set weight. 10 reps, then get in the sauna/hot tub. that should get some more blood flowing in there, which will cut the DOMS down quite a lot. standard post workout shake after. you should notice the difference almost immediately :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to, after doing super-slow (5-3-5) or high rep (>20) squats (but not done that since May 2006) :D

Now I just superset squats with romanian deadlifts (if I do legwork). But focus for my legs has never been on gaining mass.

Whatever works for each individual. And depends on what you're trying to do.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
haha
i was just asking but look at the response...
i tried it once and it was HELL

hmm its got me thinking

i do back on mondays and legs wed and shoulders/arms fridays

im thinking after reading some posts to throw legs into thursdays and have a 2 day break between back and legs... with no break between legs and arms/shoulders (should be fine) ???

i prefer doing my big heavy compound workouts at the start when i feel i have the energy for them

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well me and a buddy are training for a power lifting comp, and the coach has us squat, deadlift, and highpull all on the same day (thursdays). Seems to be working wonders for my leg power. We train legs twice a week, mondays and thurdays. mondays we hang clean, squat, and do dumbell step ups with plyo's.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I was doing 5x5 squats, then 5x5 deads right after on bill stars 5x5 I got strong as hell and my legs blew up to be honest, however i've barfed a few times :p

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i did 5x5 on deads last night. no way i would have been able to do squats after that. i was toast!

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Well me and a buddy are training for a power lifting comp, and the coach has us squat, deadlift, and highpull all on the same day (thursdays). Seems to be working wonders for my leg power. We train legs twice a week, mondays and thurdays. mondays we hang clean, squat, and do dumbell step ups with plyo's.
I have really been entertaining the idea of doing deads/squats with a 5x5 program twice a week. 3-4 day rest.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do stiff legged deads on leg day along with squats. I don't do them right after squats though. I usually throw calves in between them. Stiff legged deads are great for overall hamstring development.

joelast

joelast

Awards
I do stiff legged deads on leg day along with squats. I don't do them right after squats though. I usually throw calves in between them. Stiff legged deads are great for overall hamstring development.
I do this as well and usally one right after the other, But doing a full DL involves much more quads and is much more taxing that Straight leg DL's.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do this as well and usally one right after the other, But doing a full DL involves much more quads and is much more taxing that Straight leg DL's.
There is no way I would ever consider actual deadlifts on leg day. That is too big of a muscle to train with your legs. You would sacrifice some oomph as well.

ndnguy85

ndnguy85

Awards
i did them on the same day for about 6 months till i got rewarded with a herniated disc in my lower back. now i am one of those people with chronic back problems who cant sit or drive for extended periods.

correct form? yes
too heavy? heavy enough to do 8-10reps.

the pressure you put on your discs take a toll after a while.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Squats and deadlifts are two of the most taxing exercises you can attempt, so why would you even want to try both of them in one workout? I say, spread it around a little bit so you can go at it with maximum intensity.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
There is no way I would ever consider actual deadlifts on leg day. That is too big of a muscle to train with your legs. You would sacrifice some oomph as well.

This is true.

One excercise will be "heavy", the other will not.

Common sense must prevail guys.

On some days when all the stars are aligning just right, I have gave it my all on both. JP8 and Nos Ether makes it easier to do both with full intensity.

Usually I pick just one to go "all out" with....

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
lol i said it once ill say it again
i wasnt expecting this to turn into a discussion about whether its good to do or not

i just meant.. has anyone tried it? coz its a killer thing to try.. i did it once - never again
it absolutely drains you. i was just asking if theres anyone here who maybe has balls big enough to do this not whether its good or bad lol...

ah well!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
This is why I submitted the request to implement the option for an OP to be able to close a thread after they feel it has served its purpose, it if the thread has gotten out of hand. But to answer the question, I just tried it a few days ago, and I will never do that again. For one, I did dead lifts first, and (it was my first time ever doing SDL), and apart from it taking so much out of me, my lower back was really hurting. Still hurts today. Off topic question, is that normal for lower back to hurt after first time doing it? IT REALLY HURTS!!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is why I submitted the request to implement the option for an OP to be able to close a thread after they feel it has served its purpose, it if the thread has gotten out of hand. But to answer the question, I just tried it a few days ago, and I will never do that again. For one, I did dead lifts first, and (it was my first time ever doing SDL), and apart from it taking so much out of me, my lower back was really hurting. Still hurts today. Off topic question, is that normal for lower back to hurt after first time doing it? IT REALLY HURTS!!
Yes it is normal, unless it feels like pain other than deep muscle soreness. The first few times you do SDLs it gets pretty intense! Just keep it in mind to go a little lighter on your back day if you do hyper extensions or anything.

PantherMan24

Awards
hell yea man it a pain in the @ss!! We've been doin dead lifts after we burnout on squats...its a killer

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I do deads after squats sometimes. It's a good way to hit the whole leg (quads with squats, then hammys with deads.) I don't have any machine equipment for hamstrings, all I have is basic free weights. So I use the deadlift quite often as it's such a great exercise.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I would always do squats first, as deads will tire your core out ... and I would rather have my core fail when I am deadlifting as it would just fall to the ground, rather than having a few hundred pounds balanced on my shoulders and needing to rerack it. That is how I hurt myself 2 years ago.

ILiftBig

Awards

lol...
I remember talking to Gary Frank back at a WPO meet one time and he told me that he trains deadlift after squatting. He said he feels he is already warmed up and has no problems. He all he told me he did was like 135 and 225 for speed a very few reps and then went for his top pull.

Sorry, but I was nevr hard core enough to pull tht off either.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
i did 5x5 on deads last night. no way i would have been able to do squats after that. i was toast!
Interesting as Bill's 5x5 program includes deads after squats on the 2nd day...usually it is squats, military press, then deads ...

However, the 2nd day has squats light and deads heavy, rather than both heavy. And, your only doing deads once a week.

I've gotten to a point now that if I do my deads by themselves, i can not pull as much weight, weird deal.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I have really been entertaining the idea of doing deads/squats with a 5x5 program twice a week. 3-4 day rest.
It will benefit you my man...my total strength went up a solid amount using the 5x5 which calls for deads after squats on the light squat day...Anyway, it's a light squat day, relative to your strength, so I can see no way that it will over tax you that much on a light squat day, and a 5 rep max dead day. The fact is, your 5 rep max on the light squat day is going to be NOTHING compared to your 5 rep max deads.

Also, by the time you toss in your middle workout (presses, or whatever) and get to your deads, 30 mins will have passed, so you should be ready for deads then...also, remember, the squat will be light squats on that day.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I would always do squats first, as deads will tire your core out ... and I would rather have my core fail when I am deadlifting as it would just fall to the ground, rather than having a few hundred pounds balanced on my shoulders and needing to rerack it. That is how I hurt myself 2 years ago.

this is how i do them.

squats first, deads last.