What's wrong with this routine? (bulking)

someguy1984

Awards
I'm changing my routine, because now i workout 3 days a week and i just feel like it's not enough. So, why not workout more, but do less on each day? This way i can focus on each muscle group per day and eat more, lol.

a typical week;

day 1: chest (flat, incline, decline, fly)
day 2: back (upper and lower)
day 3: arms (bis and tris)
day 4: shoulders, traps
day 5: legs (quads and hams, calves)
day 6: abs, and anything else I skipped that week

Would this be a good routine for trying to get bigger? Or would it be better to make this 3 days a week like i have been doing and do 2 muscle groups per workout?

My main focus is getting my arms bigger, because my legs and chest keep getting bigger, but arms pretty much stay the same. I don't get it...I started all of this at 140lbs and now i weigh 154.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You will be hitting your triceps 3x/wk and you're also doing biceps after back, which will severely effect your strength/recovery.

SMD

SMD

Awards
That's a lot of training days...can you keep that up realistically?
If your intent on doing splits then I would personally train 4-5 times a week and combine certain body parts on the same day.
Sunclouds idea of full body training is good though...usually overlooked if you ask me. People not on gear tend to do well from full body workouts as they can help naturally boost test levels and increase your muscle's insulin sensitivity (leads to greater protein synthesis with the right post-workout nutrition)

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I'm changing my routine, because now i workout 3 days a week and i just feel like it's not enough.
Ive got two guys from work that Im lifting with now to help them get in shape, and they have the same mindset. If they arent in the gym all the time, they think theyre not getting results as fast as they can. I go with them 3 times a week after work and they always sneak a day in on the weekend or something and throw off my whole routine.

Spend more time recovering and eating and just lift hard when you are in the gym. Results will come, I swear.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Spend more time recovering and eating and just lift hard when you are in the gym. Results will come, I swear.
Yep, go for 3x/week and break it down as:

day 1: Legs and abs
day 2: Rest or cardio
day 3: Chest and tris
day 4: Rest or cardio
day 5: Back and bis
day 6: Rest
day 7: Rest

Focus on the Big Five (regardless of what you want your arms to do) and variation thereof:
- Squat
- Deadlift
- Bench
- Weighted pullups/chinups
- Weighted dips

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sorry but have to ask "assisted" or un assisted that will make a Big difference in how many days you can work out. Your basically working out 5 days a week as Day 6 is not lifting day. I do that also but mine is like this
mon back
tues chest
wed legs
thursday arms
friday shoulders