carbs after workout

lild

lild

Awards
what source is best for getting your carbs after a workout?would a coke or soda due?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Simple sugar is a great carb source,but HFCS is not that the way to go, look into white bread,white rice,dextrose,maltodextrin,waxy maize

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i think HFCS would be okay post workout - all you need is a rapid absorption of carbs. its the caffeine post workout that i think would be a bad idea. if it constricts blood vessels, then you can make a very valid argument how much of those carbs will actually enter the muscle.

HFCS is the devil - i wouldn't consume it at any other time. ever. like the commercial, its okay in moderation, and by that we really mean once per day at most :) .

also, there's no protein in soda, so ultimately not a good choice.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Yes it can be used but still no matter what kind of fructose, fructose is still not as quickly absorbed as say dextrose.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
And plus a coke has say 40g of sugar in it, you need to 75-100g PWO to fully replenish glycogen stores, so you would need to drink 2 cokes to reach that, you workout 4 times a week, thats 8 cokes a week, in itself thats bad but also it is a lot more expensive, a case is what $10 that will last you 3 weeks? I bought a 10lb bag of dextrose for $12 a week ago, and thats gonna last me a while.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
i find a bagel with about 1 tbs of jam on each piece a goody:) cinnamon raisin baby:)

Fear

Fear

Awards
Hmm not too sure about this but I usually drink a cup of milk with some whey, along with oats, maybe a peanut butter sandwich or avocado for a bit of fat, and a banana. This is a high protein balanced meal with simple sugars. Feedback?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Well milk and the peanut butter/avocados will all slow down the digestion rate which you dont want PWO, as digestion rate PWO is key as this is when you would like your nutrient uptake to be high. The banana is a good choice if your going with a fruit,probably your best choice out of the fruits, but like said before fructose is not as quickly digesting as dextrose. PWO meal should only include a high GI carb and whey. Than maybe 30-45 mins later is when you can have a whole food sourced meal.

Fear

Fear

Awards
Well milk and the peanut butter/avocados will all slow down the digestion rate which you dont want PWO, as digestion rate PWO is key as this is when you would like your nutrient uptake to be high. The banana is a good choice if your going with a fruit,probably your best choice out of the fruits, but like said before fructose is not as quickly digesting as dextrose. PWO meal should only include a high GI carb and whey. Than maybe 30-45 mins later is when you can have a whole food sourced meal.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

nestle1

nestle1

Awards
2 scoops of protein in Gatorade and 2 slices of white bread.

bluedevilsrul

Awards
why would you want to drink soda after a workout

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
ya, that would just seem to be a bad idea... there are just too many other good options out there

iDShaDoW

Awards
Stupid question, but how is dextrose compared to oatmeal?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
One is a simple sugar-dextrose, the other is a complex carb-oatmeal
Dextrose-High GI,fast digesting
Oatmeal-Low GI,slow digesting

iDShaDoW

Awards
So dextrose in your shake post workout and oatmeal in the pre workout?

Or oatmeal for like a morning and dinner shake?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Oatmeal should be through out the day(all complex carbs should be) except PWO and 2 hours before bed. COmplex carbs provide great fuel for your body

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone is neglecting one important fact: glycogen synthesis, just like protein synthesis, is a process. A single meal is not going to make or break you recovery/gains. Focus on your total nutrition before becoming so anal about just one meal.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Just to take the confusion out my brain, but a complex carb shake by ON, would be ok as pwo drink? I like to have a bowl of low or non fat cottage cheese, with raisens and honey after I work out. Is that ok?(you guys amaze me with your scientific knowledge of this stuff:cheers:)

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
ON has complex carb shakes? Get rid of cottage cheese, that is a caseinate protein so it slow down your digestion and you dont want that. Kick the raison, you can use honey but still that fructose and not as quick digesting as dextrose, and also add about 40g whey.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ON has complex carb shakes? Get rid of cottage cheese, that is a caseinate protein so it slow down your digestion and you dont want that. Kick the raison, you can use honey but still that fructose and not as quick digesting as dextrose, and also add about 40g whey.
High GI carbs are not necessary for adequate glycogen re-synthesis. There is no need for a huge insulin spike after a training session as long as you consume adequate carbohydrate.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For aesthetics, yes it can. Performamce is a different beast, though.
That is your opinion.. Everyone has their opinion. Some advocate high GI, some low GI.

I have personally used both low gi, and high gi PWO, and prefer higher gi.

Currently i consume 50g WMS/bcaa immediately pwo, then 30min later have 50g coming from kids cereal(fruity pebbles, etc)with 2scoop isolate(in water) as my "milk"

Is it the right thing? who REALLY knows.. Works for me though.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Ok, while no cut and dry answer cause people will do what they want regardless what other say. I am a stickler for following good advice, combined with research. So, what is best samples for PWO meal in terms of carbs? And yes, ON has complex carb shakes
http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/pro-complex-c-4.html?zenid=6c24b7f2e42d56db10672e6757822a08
which should I go with, ALl Natural, Pro Complex with the 14G of BCAAs, or the Gainer? I want to keep gaining weight, and while it might seem like a no brainer to go with the Gainer, I still want some advice. I am currently at 205, want to get to about 215-220, then go on cut phase. Thanks on the advice about the raisens and the cottage. I guess I will move that meal to a during the day snack. I just started eating a bowl of steamed potatoes and yams, 3 slices of raisen bread, and a serving of myoplex as soon as I walk out the gym to my Truck (black monster). Yeah or Nay on that. Oh and Rodja, welcome back, and your knowledge is well respected,,,,,, well by me anyway.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Those aren't complex carb shakes? They just call them "Pro Complex" still a good buy, but it doesn't contain carbs, maybe a few, I havent seen complete profile, but not many carbs if any.

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
No raisins, no honey post workout.

You'd also be suprised, studies have shown that the slow distribution/breakdown of amino acids entering the amino acid pool have led to a longer anabolic state. I'll find the studies when I'm not busy.

Based on the research I continue to find, a whey and caseinate blend seems adequate.

High GI carbs are not necessary for adequate glycogen re-synthesis. There is no need for a huge insulin spike after a training session as long as you consume adequate carbohydrate.
Right, that's if someone's diet is carb competent.

Secondly, it depends what you define as "huge". 3-400g of carbs can be stored as muscle glycogen, but of course it all can not be synthesized post workout. Glycogen resynthesis may not have as high of an emphasis as it does here, but it's effect on nutrient translocation is overlooked.

Just my thoughts.

KM

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
why would you want to drink soda after a workout
Why not just add a piece of cake or some oreos in there too? Ugh

I prefer high GI after a workout mainly because I'm an ecto and I can't gain fat and it allows me to eat sooner.

lild

lild

Awards
well i have always used protein directly after a workout,so carbs pwo is new to me.there are so many different types of carbs so i was just curious to know the right one i should consume.i have always avoided simple carbs but i had to ask because i knew there would be some good info from my am bros.i'm 5ft 9 in ,190 lbs w/12-14% bf.i was always under the impression that simple carbs were only good for pre wo,but now i know some protein prior to workout is a good idea and carbs are good directly after.i have gained 5 lbs of some what lean mass since taking in carbs pwo.but i wanted to know what is best for best results for lean mass gain.i never was a soda drinker until i started a month ago,only one after workout.i will change it to white bread and oatmeal intil i can get ahold of some dextrose.all of the info yaw have given me is helpful,i do thankyou all for that. . . .lild

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
well i have always used protein directly after a workout,so carbs pwo is new to me.there are so many different types of carbs so i was just curious to know the right one i should consume.i have always avoided simple carbs but i had to ask because i knew there would be some good info from my am bros.i'm 5ft 9 in ,190 lbs w/12-14% bf.i was always under the impression that simple carbs were only good for pre wo,but now i know some protein prior to workout is a good idea and carbs are good directly after.i have gained 5 lbs of some what lean mass since taking in carbs pwo.but i wanted to know what is best for best results for lean mass gain.i never was a soda drinker until i started a month ago,only one after workout.i will change it to white bread and oatmeal intil i can get ahold of some dextrose.all of the info yaw have given me is helpful,i do thankyou all for that. . . .lild
You can use dextrose/maltodextrin mix or Waxy Maize. It really comes down to preference. I prefer Waxy Maize because it gives me less bloat and I can eat sooner. If I were you I'd try to get some slow digesting carbs pre workout. I love my Whey and oatmeal about an hour before my workout. That way I don't crash half way through.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oats
Brown Rice
Whole grain breads (Ezekiel 4:9 w/honey would be great)
Maybe some Waxy Maize Starch

There is absolutely no need for high GI carbohydrates.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
This may be off topic a bit, or a stupid question: If taking a pre workout supp like rpm, or ragnarok, that needs to be taken on an empty stomach, how would that tie in taking a pre workout meal like oatmeal? Basically how do you balance the two and still get the desired effect?

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
Why not just add a piece of cake or some oreos in there too? Ugh
Coke uses a source of HFCS which is enzymatically designed to have a higher ratio of fructose, than glucose. Mostly because fructose is sweeter, or is the right feel of sweetness for the drink itself.

Oreos contain fat. Fat strongly delays digestion of other nutrients.

Cake is composed of table sugar: sucrose, not good.

KM

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Coke uses a source of HFCS which is enzymatically designed to have a higher ratio of fructose, than glucose. Mostly because fructose is sweeter, or is the right feel of sweetness for the drink itself.

Oreos contain fat. Fat strongly delays digestion of other nutrients.

Cake is composed of table sugar: sucrose, not good.

KM
I was being sarcastic. Haha,it's all good.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
This may be off topic a bit, or a stupid question: If taking a pre workout supp like rpm, or ragnarok, that needs to be taken on an empty stomach, how would that tie in taking a pre workout meal like oatmeal? Basically how do you balance the two and still get the desired effect?
I take my 1/2 cup of oats,milk,and whey and then an hour later ragnarok. It works great. I don't have to workout on a full stomach and I'm hungry after.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is absolutely no need for high GI carbohydrates.
Again, that is YOUR opinion.. There are people who feel the complete opposite. Some top prep guys advocate high GI carbs PWO.

I say try both for a few months, and see what you feel works best for you.. I have tried No carbs, low gi carbs, and High Gi carbs. I have been using high GI carbs now for the past 6+ months with great results(dropping bf% and gaining muscle)

IMO nothing in this "game" is cut and dry. For every study proving something, there is one disproving it. For every person advocating something, there is someone else advocating the complete opposite. So you really need to just focus on what you feel works best for you.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Boondocks is the shizzle. They need to make an actual movie for that show.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Whole can of Dole sliced pineapple. The large can, with 5 servings and no added sugar. Also a 50g protein shake and BCAAs if I have them on hand.

Why pineapple you say? Pineapple contains the proteolytic enzyme, bromelain, which breaks down protein. This helps your body break down the protein you consume and make sure your body can absorb as much as possible in the small intestine.

Food for thought eh?

As for someone who mentioned 75-100g of carbs PWO...That seems too high unless you are doing cardio/HIT. If you are not doing cardio I think 50-60 would suffice. Just MHO.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Whole can of Dole sliced pineapple. The large can, with 5 servings and no added sugar. Also a 50g protein shake and BCAAs if I have them on hand.

Why pineapple you say? Pineapple contains the proteolytic enzyme, bromelain, which breaks down protein. This helps your body break down the protein you consume and make sure your body can absorb as much as possible in the small intestine.

Food for thought eh?

As for someone who mentioned 75-100g of carbs PWO...That seems too high unless you are doing cardio/HIT. If you are not doing cardio I think 50-60 would suffice. Just MHO.
Doesn't pineapple contain a lot of fructose?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Weird. Pineapple is listed twice in that list. Not sure which one is right, but neither is that bad.