Good routine? (bulking)

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.52%

Good routine? (bulking)

I'm trying to figure out the most effective workout routine for me. I workout at home and have a good amount of equipment. Barbell, bench setup, pullup bar, dumbells, etc...Enough to get the job done.

I understand the body needs time to rest and recover, so i shouldn't workout everyday. Currently, i'm trying to bulk and get up to about 165 or so. I would like to gain as much muscle and less fat of course. (although, i know i will gain a little fat) I've been gaining weight eating about 3000 calories a day. If i stop gaining weight, i'll just add 250 more calories to my diet...So, i think i have the food part down.

Now, i've been working out 3 days a week. I do my upper body on mondays, legs wednesday, upper body friday. Then the next monday i'll do legs and on wednesday i'll do my upper body and on friday legs again. I just swap week after week to keep my body guessing. I also change rep ranges a bit.

Here is my problem...I find myself a little tired doing my upper body all in one day. So, when i get to military press for example, i feel a little too tired to complete the exercise with full potential. Although, i'm not educated enough to figure out how to split my days up. For instance, when should i do my chest, biceps, triceps? Or, back and shoulders? I think i can keep the leg routine all in one day. Maybe legs mon and friday? Tuesday biceps and triceps? Wednesday chest, back, shoulders? Thursday, saturday and sunday rest?

Also, with the equipment i have, how much of a workout should i be doing? How many different total sets? For instance biceps and triceps...Barbell curls, dumbbell curls, tricep extentions, overhead extensions...What else? Or, would that be efficent?

Thanks everyone.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.03%

I would focus on bench for chest. Pullups for your lats(add weight if you can get 12+) as well as bent over rows on back day. Do you have a squat rack? Do standing military press for shoulders.
    Keep the barbell curls and do close grip bench for tris instead of tri extensions.
    What exercises are you currently doing?
    As far as your split, you could do
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    OFF
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Weekend off
    Or something to that effect
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

if you don't have a squat rack, place the dumbells in the beginning position of an arnold press, and squat that way.

upper body all in one day is a little hard. what nparisi listed is the most common split to use. give it a shot! its the most common because its the most effective for most people.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.32%

how to do close grip bench? is it just same like normal bench? or the execution is diff?
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.48%

Quote Originally Posted by onimusha View Post
    how to do close grip bench? is it just same like normal bench? or the execution is diff?
    Not to sound like an ass but it's a bench press with a grip that is close together.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Alright, your size and weight are small, so I would say start out with a full body routine 3x/week, no more than 3 sets per bodypart and 8-12 reps! I made great gains doing this, then went on to a push/ pull routine after 2 months,.. and ,,,well, you get it. Eat, and eat good,... and you will grow!!! Good luck, and welcome to AM!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.03%

Quote Originally Posted by onimusha View Post
    I like to bring the bar down a bit lower on my body than when I do regular bench(like midway between my nipples and belly button). Also put your thumbs over the bar IF you feel you can control the weight like that. I feel that accentuates the tris pretty well.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.52%

Quote Originally Posted by nparisi View Post
    I would focus on bench for chest. Pullups for your lats(add weight if you can get 12+) as well as bent over rows on back day. Do you have a squat rack? Do standing military press for shoulders.
    Keep the barbell curls and do close grip bench for tris instead of tri extensions.
    What exercises are you currently doing?
    As far as your split, you could do
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    OFF
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Weekend off
    Or something to that effect
    Yes, i do have a squat rack set up. It's rigged, but works well! This is what I'm currently doing now. I'm going to change my routine to something similar like you listed below.

DAY 1:

Australian Pull ups
    Bench press
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Military press
    Dumbbell Flys
    Curls
    Tricep extensions

DAY 2:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Good Mornings
    Standing Calf Raise

I alternate this. Day 1 would be Monday and Friday. Then, the next week Day 2 would be Monday and Friday, etc...

So, what are some exercises i can do on these days? For instance, this Monday for chest and triceps? Bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell flys, close grip bench press, tricep extensions and what else? Back/Bis, what exercises should i do. I tend to lack the back department with my exercises. I just don't know what to do on these days...I like to do deadlifts and squats on leg day. Or, would it be better to split this up? Please, list the exercises i should perform on these days for back/bis/, shoulder/ etc...

Thanks for all the help! This is great advice! Also, what about my sets? I'm usually doing about 3-4 sets 10 reps per exercise. How many set/reps should i be doing per exercise with this 4 day routine?

Also, i posted a pic in my progress. It really isn't of my body, but you can get a general idea of my size. I was 146 or so in that pic. I'm 153 now, but most of my weight gain has been in my legs and butt..Kind of weird, but alright...lol
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.48%

Quote Originally Posted by nparisi View Post
    I like to bring the bar down a bit lower on my body than when I do regular bench(like midway between my nipples and belly button). Also put your thumbs over the bar IF you feel you can control the weight like that. I feel that accentuates the tris pretty well.
    I like using an EZ Curl bar myself. Kind of feels more natural.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.03%

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I like using an EZ Curl bar myself. Kind of feels more natural.
    Yeah straight bar is uncomfortable on the wrist
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.03%

Quote Originally Posted by someguy1984 View Post
    Yes, i do have a squat rack set up. It's rigged, but works well! This is what I'm currently doing now. I'm going to change my routine to something similar like you listed below.

DAY 1:

Australian Pull ups
    Bench press
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Military press
    Dumbbell Flys
    Curls
    Tricep extensions

DAY 2:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Good Mornings
    Standing Calf Raise

I alternate this. Day 1 would be Monday and Friday. Then, the next week Day 2 would be Monday and Friday, etc...

So, what are some exercises i can do on these days? For instance, this Monday for chest and triceps? Bench press, incline bench press, dumbbell flys, close grip bench press, tricep extensions and what else? Back/Bis, what exercises should i do. I tend to lack the back department with my exercises. I just don't know what to do on these days...I like to do deadlifts and squats on leg day. Or, would it be better to split this up? Please, list the exercises i should perform on these days for back/bis/, shoulder/ etc...

Thanks for all the help! This is great advice! Also, what about my sets? I'm usually doing about 3-4 sets 10 reps per exercise. How many set/reps should i be doing per exercise with this 4 day routine?

Also, i posted a pic in my progress. It really isn't of my body, but you can get a general idea of my size. I was 146 or so in that pic. I'm 153 now, but most of my weight gain has been in my legs and butt..Kind of weird, but alright...lol
    When you're doing chest, do one barbell movement, and one dumbell movement. So do either bench press and db incline, or vice versa when you need to change things up. Dumbell flys sounds like your only option for a fly movement.
    So...
    Monday: BB bench/DB incline/DB flyes/Close Grip Bench/Skull crushers(I think two exercises should be enough for tris after using them for chest, but if you need something else do a dumbell french press)
    Tues: Deads/Bent over row/Pull ups/Barbell curls/Hammer curls(again, I think this should suffice for bis, but if you need another, throw whatever in)
    Wed:OFF
    Thurs:Squats/Lunges/Calf Raise, and I'm not sure what else man...someone chime in! But I would't do good mornings or deads on leg day like you had been doing. That's primarily lower back. Just my 2 cents.
    Fri:Standing military press/DB front & side raises/some DB rear should work
    That's it man. I think that should treat you pretty well. My week is pretty similar and I've been loving it this semester cuz it goes well with my sched. Anyways, as far as rep ranges, it varies. I would aim for around 24 total reps per however many sets you're doing for an exercise. So like 3 sets of 8, or 4 sets of 6, etc. Just try different rep ranges for a few weeks each and see what works best for you...Or maybe someone else has a better recommendation, they'll chime in.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.89%

hey man welcome to AM, all the comments on the new workout they have given you is pretty good but ill add my small adjustments to it for my own personal opinion
    Monday: BB bench/DB incline/DB flyes/Close Grip Bench/Skull crushers(I think two exercises should be enough for tris after using them for chest, but if you need something else do a dumbell french press or kickbacks and finish with some pushups, diamonds and regular ones)
    Tues: Deads/Bent over row/Wide Grip Pull downs if you got it/Wide Grip Pull ups
    Wed:Squats/Lunges/Calf Raise/ham curls/ quad extensions
    Thurs:DB Incline Curl, standing Ez Curl bar (easier on the wrists)/ standing DB Curl, concentration curls
    Fri:Standing military press/DB front & side raises/DB Rear Lateral raises
    This is just my opinion on how i would do it with 3-4 exercises per workout, with atleast 8-10 reps always go up in weight wheneva possible to get stronger, and just eat right, get your protein carbs and fats in eat healthy and you will grow you'll see

Similar Forum Threads

1. My bulking routine
    By Dillonaur in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
  2. is this a good bulking routine?
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 04:37 PM
  3. Bulking Routine
    By bmxbones in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6