Thinking about giving up bodybuilding. Can an ectomorph really get big?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  131 lbs.
    Answers

yea dont give up man, im the same way, i started working out my senior year, weighed less than a 100 pounds at 5'5, joined this site, got advice from friends, now im at 132, which ive been at for freakiing who knows how long, which is extremly annoying cuz i want to get to 150 haha, but i kno its cuz i need to eat more , and im trying, u alot taller than me, so i suggest eating in ur sleep as well haha but dont give up... ask questions on here and get advice, and use it, lot of people kno their **** on here...

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Answers

how much fat intake are u getting in?

u know i might look into doing a CKD diet, ie a low carb diet that still allows you to use glycogen,by having carb load days.

Diets like CKD and the anabolic diet boost testosterone levels, carbs decrease it. So by mainly just eating fats and protein your natural levels of testosterone will be elevated.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Answers

"In the Penn State study, the subjects eating moderate fat exhibited higher testosterone levels than the subjects eating low fat - this finding merely confirmed previous studies demonstrating that dietary fat is positively linked with testosterone levels."
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Answers

"More impressively, the Penn State researchers showed that the effect of dietary fat on testosterone levels depended on the kind of fat consumed. Specifically, they found that monounsaturated and saturated fat raise testosterone levels, but polyunsaturated fat does not (Faigin, pp. 329-330, emphasis in original)."

Moreover, it is not just any fat, but saturated fatty acids (SFA) and monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) that raise T levels. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) do not.

As such, "… restricting total fat intake *and replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat (exactly what the experts are telling you to do) would appear to be the perfect prescription for lowering your testosterone levels!

However, it is not necessary to consume a lot of saturated fat. A response to a letter on asking about how to raise T levels reported about a study that showed, "Men with the highest testosterone levels ate nuts! Yes, monounsaturated fat seems to increase testosterone levels, so include nuts, olive oil, canola oil, and peanut butter!"

Moreover, foods high in healthy Omega 3s fatty acids would also be good sources of T-raising fat. The best sources of omega 3s are fatty fish like mackerel, herrings, sardines, tuna, sturgeon, and salmon. But they are also found in plant foods like walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, flax seed oil, and canola oil (Collins).

most nutritionists would say that whole eggs and red meat are bad for you, but there great for building muscle.

But majority of fats can be taken from healthy sources, but there are properties or red meat and wholes eggs that i think are needed,both of these contain high levels of arichindonic acid, and a bunch of other high soluble b vitamins.

Maybe you are doing this alreayd,i dont know.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Answers

I am in the same boat as you Dave. I ****ing hate it when people call me skinny. I started working out when I was 20 at 120 lbs after my gf dumped me for the way I treated my body (I did drugs in college and hiked all the time). Fortunately I didn't get hooked. I had a blast doing it though, and I have no regrets.

It has been almost 3 years now and the most I weighed was 185 earlier this year until this summer when I sat around with my gf eating ice cream and having sex (I lost 15 lbs on the sex and ice cream diet!). I researched steroids for a long time and decided its not worth it.

When i was experimenting I did some pills or lines here and there but I had a rule to keep clean for at least a week after partying (beer and pot excluded). Steroids are a drug you use everyday for a month. They makes you lose your hair, and shrinks your junk. Even though my gf complains about my penis being to big, (a whooping 2" when erect) I like it the way it is.

Just be patient Dave. Listen to everyones advice (especially suncloud). eat 1g of protein for 1 lb of weight and don't overtrain. It may come slower for us, but don't forget, it is coming.

The most important thing is attitude. Giving up is not an option. Stay positive
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nofx4110 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you Dave. I ****ing hate it when people call me skinny. I started working out when I was 20 at 120 lbs after my gf dumped me for the way I treated my body (I did drugs in college and hiked all the time). Fortunately I didn't get hooked. I had a blast doing it though, and I have no regrets.

It has been almost 3 years now and the most I weighed was 185 earlier this year until this summer when I sat around with my gf eating ice cream and having sex (I lost 15 lbs on the sex and ice cream diet!). I researched steroids for a long time and decided its not worth it.

When i was experimenting I did some pills or lines here and there but I had a rule to keep clean for at least a week after partying (beer and pot excluded). Steroids are a drug you use everyday for a month. They makes you lose your hair, and shrinks your junk. Even though my gf complains about my penis being to big, (a whooping 2" when erect) I like it the way it is.

Just be patient Dave. Listen to everyones advice (especially suncloud). eat 1g of protein for 1 lb of weight and don't overtrain. It may come slower for us, but don't forget, it is coming.

I think your trying to motivate the OP but.. damn.

Alot of "i did drugs, alot of drugs, and drank and smoked pot and ate ice cream, i have a 2" penis" could have prolly been omitted for it contributed nothing BUT explaining WHY you are having trouble. You dont have bad genetics just really bad judgement.

Its funny you went from ice cream on the couch to steroids, like that was the obvious progression.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  162 lbs.
    Answers

I'm in the same boat. When I first started lifting I was 150 at an age of 18 I barely ate good foods and ate a very low calorie count. A few local powerlifters told me that alot of sleep and alot of food are some of the most important and forgotten anabolic factors. I later followed a hard powerlifting regimen and after 1 year managed to put on some major mass. So like the advice you have been give try some "bread and butter exersices" also evaluate your sleep and try to get more rest in, you grow when you rest!
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nofx4110 View Post

you know steroids DONT shrink your unit right??? just your testes... last time I checked I dont use my testes for anything but making a load to blow... in fact many compounds increase your libido and cause larger and harder erections (with a select few that can actually turn you off from sex and trouble with erections like tren and deca).

Anyways I hate to hear this as its obvious youve been reading steroid propaganda and not steroid research, real research, and real world results.

I respect your personal choices (even though they still seem Fed considering you drug use and diet) but at least refrain from misinforming others about what responsible steroid use can cause or not.

Good day.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    I think your trying to motivate the OP but.. damn.

Alot of "i did drugs, alot of drugs, and drank and smoked pot and ate ice cream, i have a 2" penis" could have prolly been omitted for it contributed nothing BUT explaining WHY you are having trouble. You dont have bad genetics just really bad judgement.

Its funny you went from ice cream on the couch to steroids, like that was the obvious progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    you know steroids DONT shrink your unit right??? just your testes... last time I checked I dont use my testes for anything but making a load to blow... in fact many compounds increase your libido and cause larger and harder erections (with a select few that can actually turn you off from sex and trouble with erections like tren and deca).

Anyways I hate to hear this as its obvious youve been reading steroid propaganda and not steroid research, real research, and real world results.

I respect your personal choices (even though they still seem Fed considering you drug use and diet) but at least refrain from misinforming others about what responsible steroid use can cause or not.

Good day
    If you read closely you will see I said I was in the same boat, meaning I am also an ectomorph (small skeletal structure), and tall. I quit doing drugs a long long time ago. I can also count the number of times i did them on one hand.

I considered steroids before my ice cream diet, and I know it only temporarily shrinks your nuts. Just like my 2" penis, the stuff I wrote about steroids is a joke. Lighten up. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I would also like to point out that I never claimed to be an expert on steroids, and anyone who read what I wrote as there only research into the subject is an idiot. If you want to know about steroids, go to the steroid section of the forums, and conduct research, don't read jokes.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

hey I wasnt reamin you or nothin man, I couldnt tell it was a joke as it was all stated fairly factually (minus the size of your unit, I figured that had to be a joke and was fairly funny) and just wanted to make sure to set the record straight for the OP and the rest of the readers that happen upon this thread.

Context of posts are really hard to decipher when typed as you do... I love smilies for this reason, they arent called emoticons for nothin, they help put your tone in perspective greatly.

see Im happy. lol
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    hey I wasnt reamin you or nothin man, I couldnt tell it was a joke as it was all stated fairly factually (minus the size of your unit, I figured that had to be a joke and was fairly funny) and just wanted to make sure to set the record straight for the OP and the rest of the readers that happen upon this thread.

Context of posts are really hard to decipher when typed as you do... I love smilies for this reason, they arent called emoticons for nothin, they help put your tone in perspective greatly.

see Im happy. lol
    agreed. For a second I thought you might need a diaper change.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ari4216 View Post
    "More impressively, the Penn State researchers showed that the effect of dietary fat on testosterone levels depended on the kind of fat consumed. Specifically, they found that monounsaturated and saturated fat raise testosterone levels, but polyunsaturated fat does not (Faigin, pp. 329-330, emphasis in original)."

Moreover, it is not just any fat, but saturated fatty acids (SFA) and monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) that raise T levels. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) do not.

As such, " restricting total fat intake *and replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat (exactly what the experts are telling you to do) would appear to be the perfect prescription for lowering your testosterone levels!

However, it is not necessary to consume a lot of saturated fat. A response to a letter on asking about how to raise T levels reported about a study that showed, "Men with the highest testosterone levels ate nuts! Yes, monounsaturated fat seems to increase testosterone levels, so include nuts, olive oil, canola oil, and peanut butter!"

Moreover, foods high in healthy Omega 3s fatty acids would also be good sources of T-raising fat. The best sources of omega 3s are fatty fish like mackerel, herrings, sardines, tuna, sturgeon, and salmon. But they are also found in plant foods like walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, flax seed oil, and canola oil (Collins).

most nutritionists would say that whole eggs and red meat are bad for you, but there great for building muscle.

But majority of fats can be taken from healthy sources, but there are properties or red meat and wholes eggs that i think are needed,both of these contain high levels of arichindonic acid, and a bunch of other high soluble b vitamins.

Maybe you are doing this alreayd,i dont know.
    Pretty interesting post. I am taking flax oil and I will try to up my peanut butter intake (great for protein anyways). Thanks man!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  257 lbs.
    Answers

well I am glad that i can help, as for you not taking in all the nutrients you thought you were, that is very common, when people stray from their diet log, they tend to stray from their diet. the end result is that the individual takes in about a third less calories and protein than desired and about 25% more carbs, think of the diet log as a leash on a dog, when the dog wants to stray, tug on the leash(revert to your diet log) and the dog stays on track. also, One tip I can give you to help, and I know this sounds a little obsessive compulsive but it is good practice. when I was in college, I did not have much time to eat, or prep my meals, but sundays were my one day that I did not have school and I did not train, so I would gather all my groceries up, cook a weeks worth of food, seperate it into meals for each day(being conscious to leg day and back, for more cals) and then put it in tupperware containers labeled with the day and what meal it was, lunch dinner etc, I had carefully weighed out all the portions and the cals/carb/protein into each meal so that I was taking in what I my body needed when It needed it. the whole process took about 3 hours and a weeks worth of headaches was taken care of. also I have set times that I eat, and they are the same every day. so no matter what, I must stop what I am doing and feed my face. I hope this helps ya out some more.
    ~yoked
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yoked317 View Post
    well I am glad that i can help, as for you not taking in all the nutrients you thought you were, that is very common, when people stray from their diet log, they tend to stray from their diet. the end result is that the individual takes in about a third less calories and protein than desired and about 25% more carbs, think of the diet log as a leash on a dog, when the dog wants to stray, tug on the leash(revert to your diet log) and the dog stays on track. also, One tip I can give you to help, and I know this sounds a little obsessive compulsive but it is good practice. when I was in college, I did not have much time to eat, or prep my meals, but sundays were my one day that I did not have school and I did not train, so I would gather all my groceries up, cook a weeks worth of food, seperate it into meals for each day(being conscious to leg day and back, for more cals) and then put it in tupperware containers labeled with the day and what meal it was, lunch dinner etc, I had carefully weighed out all the portions and the cals/carb/protein into each meal so that I was taking in what I my body needed when It needed it. the whole process took about 3 hours and a weeks worth of headaches was taken care of. also I have set times that I eat, and they are the same every day. so no matter what, I must stop what I am doing and feed my face. I hope this helps ya out some more.
    ~yoked
    That's dedication. I like making a lot of food on sundays for the upcoming week as well...It definately helps when I have something good ready to heat up and eat vs contemplating eating something quick thats bad...I hate cooking when I'm hungry.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    Pretty interesting post. I am taking flax oil and I will try to up my peanut butter intake (great for protein anyways). Thanks man!

natural PB helped me out like you wouldnt believe...i swear by it. I was following along with your post and just decided to drop some stuff i did.

I was in the exact same boat as you and was about to just throw in the towel...dont man seriously.

some things that helped me out a lot:

natural peanut butter ... I basically eat this all day in between 6 to 7 meals. Its so easy to take in and works wonders.

a good mass gainer .... I like ON Serious Mass. Liquid calories were what really helped me. Not only are they easy to take in, but are great if you are the kind of person that misses a meal because you have a busy schedule ... school... work etc...

I started with a daily intake of around 4200 calories...that absolutely did not cut it for me. I keep my intake to around 5500-6000 now and i'm making gains. DONT miss meals... just stay consistent with eating.

I went from 135 to 170 in about a 1 1/2 to 2 years....but you'll notice the gains the whole way through. Dont get frustrated
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

hey man i know im a lil late into the whole convo see you got some of the best advice going around in here and couldnt agree more with everyones opinion on what do my brotha. anyway i gues ill share my story as well just cause everyone else did and to help u out.
    10th grade in highschool weighed 200lbs and i was like 5'6 so i was a chubby mofo dude alright. end of 10th grade said fu ck this cant do it nemore wanted to lose weight so bad so i did it went from 200lbs-150lbs within a year and half and gained muscle was working out 4 days a week average and doin cardio was probably one of the happiest moments in my life that i accomplished my goal.
    Recently bout 4months ago weighed aroung 160ish couldnt gain any size lift 5 days a week couldnt figure it out joined this site and found real quick, i was eating about 1000cals a day and my body burns about 4000 cals a day huge difference so the first thing i turned to was getting some m-drol or h-drol everyone shot me down after they told me what i needed to do. best advice listened and now eat everything i see its like having another job being an ecto and having to eat that much man i know it suxs and it is expensive but i got a weight gainer which gives me 1000 cals just from that and i eat 4000 so it helps make my day a lil easier. bottom line my friend dont give up i was ready to give up and take the easy way out with hardly any effort like a bit ch would. soo my advice dont give up if your goal and dream is to be bigger like mine is. i now weigh 182.
    now realizing how much there is to it when i thought u work out u get big not knowing all the science and info u gotta do, eat, rest, eat, eat, train, eat rest, and take ur supps to help u get there a lil easier, dont give up, im sure everyone wants to give up after all the hard work we do day in and day out at the gym, eating to get to where we want when we know we wont see what we want till next year it fukn suxs. so i say dont give up! just up the cals and split your workout up more with heavier compound lifts target 8-12 reps for mass man!! take care good luck and dont give up unless u really wanna give up. think about it you get what you put into life
  17. Registered User
    Answers

bro try and stay positive, your metabolism may give you a break by slowing down soon!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ari4216 View Post
    "In the Penn State study, the subjects eating moderate fat exhibited higher testosterone levels than the subjects eating low fat - this finding merely confirmed previous studies demonstrating that dietary fat is positively linked with testosterone levels."
    The reason for this is that your body need cholesterol to make testosterone. You, however, don't need to eat cholesterol because your body makes if from fat. It would have been better if the study said what their cholesterol intakes were.
  19. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    glad to help brotha. hopefully some of the other guys here can share their expertise as well.

I am an ectomorph.

at high school being 6 1 I was 130lbs I am now 205 lbs. I start BB about 7 months ago. Before the gym, I was 170, 7 months in, I am not 205. I eat like a god dam horse. Best friend, 2 scoops protein shake and 1 loaf of bread with a **** load of peanut butter.

in just 3 weeks I went from 200 to 205. I finally broke the 200 barrier and all clean. I never did cardio; yeah, I have fat, but I can always burn that off.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ectomorph Needs Help
    By Stryfe in forum Bulking
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
  3. Thinking about giving up Uni-Liver
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 10:21 AM