ZMA for bulking? ur experience.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
hi guys

I'm still in my cutting phase for a few more weeks but will get into bulking toward mid-december.

I'd like to know your experience of using ZMA as i've never used it before.
I've read a few medical journals saying that ZMA has boosted people's testosterone levels by 30% and as a result, increased muscle mass. Others tell me that it improves your recovery through improving your sleep.

So yea, what's your experience?

Did you ever use it to bulk?

If so, how were the gains, Were the gains quite significant compared to when you didn't use it?

cheers

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I've been using ZMK for about 3 months and I love it. Better sleep = Better Growth

Aggression

Aggression

Awards
It's nothing to go crazy over. I like it because it does in fact increase the test levels a bit, but more importantly it helps you sleep much better. I pop 3 before bed.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
It's nothing to go crazy over. I like it because it does in fact increase the test levels a bit, but more importantly it helps you sleep much better. I pop 3 before bed.
Agreed. Nothing to go crazy over but it's not that expensive and it works. Just make sure to take it about an hour after food without any calcium.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
a 30 day supply of anything thats 10 bucks and effective is a winner for sure.

zinc is also the most commonly depleted mineral in highly trained athletes, so just from a health perspective it is a wise investment.

deeper sleep = better hormone production = more test, more GH.

i can't believe it would raise test by 30%. i mean, thats a huge amount when you think about it. but it is effective, and it definitely raises your test levels.

extrememuscle

extrememuscle

Awards
I have tried Ultimate Nutrition and Primaforce ZMA.. I loved the Primaforce brand though..amazing stuff.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
cool, thanks for ur opinions. Ima get a few bottles of this stuff as soon as i'm on my bulking phase.

And Suncloud,
I don't know how that test was conducted but basically a college football team was taken where some were given ZMA and some were given placebo over a 8(i think?) week period of time. The ones with ZMA gained a few pounds of muscle and testosterone levels went up by 30% (apparently) while the ones on placebo decreased.

it's on
prohealth.com/zma.htm

I can't post links yet because i need 50 posts :(

The original article i read in a medical journal

iDShaDoW

Awards
Gotta be careful. I do feel that the ZMA helps me sleep better. But if I'm remembering correctly, that study with the football team was funded by the company that patented/created ZMA.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If money is an issue, go with Primaforce ZMA. If it's not an issue, go with MST's ZMK.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Gotta be careful. I do feel that the ZMA helps me sleep better. But if I'm remembering correctly, that study with the football team was funded by the company that patented/created ZMA.
yea doesn't surprise me. i always had my doubts when they said 30% increase.

that's why i had to get some opinions before getting some :p

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
and not to be forgotten, zinc is critical for your immune system. the best cough drops contain zinc and vitamin C, and my own experience with zinc is yes it does help sleep (magnesium calms muscles) and yes it does stave off colds.

as for testosterone, that's very hard to say.. But realize, 1-2% increase in test levels is going to go under our radar, even with obsessive compulsives like us!

like the others said, it's really a price issue since if it's cheap enough, definitely take it. There is low toxicity associated iwth those dosages so you really have nothing to lose.

just remember,when you take it before bed, you take it on an empty stomach, so if you are to do casein protein, do it 20-30 mins after you hit your zma.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My view of ZMA - it can't hurt. If it helps you sleep, that's a good thing. I've used it before and it didnt seem to do anything for muscle accural -not enough to justify the cost anyway.

I remember when ZMA first hit the market as a testosterone booster.

Then prohormones came out and everyone said it didnt work.

Then prohormones got banned and companies were back on the scene pushing ZMA/Trib/etc as a magical test booster.

Now there's plenty of prohormones/prosteroids on the market again and ZMA isnt so interesting.

Funny how that works :D

BV

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
ZMA...
if your body is running deficient on zinc, which apparently many of us deplete this mineral, then i think zma has the potential to help.

also..
i think a lot of us get too clouded up in focusing on supplements and training, diet, ect. and forget how important SLEEP is.

most of your growth occurs while you are asleep.
apparently zma helps you sleep deeper. even if you arent getting a 30% testosterone surge, which i dont believe in, if you feel like your sleeping deeper then the zma is helping.

one thing that puzzles me...
i would like to see somebody do an independent analysis on the effectiveness of zma.
What if i dont take my zinc in the aspartate form?
what if i Eat lots of Meat? beef is high in zinc, surely by eating enough you are getting plenty....

What were the football players fed during the 8 week experiment is another thing that i would like to know.

i think that excess zinc and magnesium may not have any benifet. but if you are deficient in these two minerals, it may hurt your performance.

i take it, but the results are none that you will be certian that you can feel.

MojoMike36

Banned
Awards
Take Melatonin and ZMA.

You'll sleep like a baby. I can't get more than 7 hours a sleep on a week night but I still feel very revitalized if I take Mela and ZMA. They're a fantastic stack for sleeping.

Be warned, initially on ZMA you can have some very very very weird dreams. Some dreams become very realistic and intense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to experience some of my worst fears in my dreams, like planes crashing and **** or my friends just standing up and saying they disliked me over and over.

Overall tho, Good stuff.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Take Melatonin and ZMA.

You'll sleep like a baby. I can't get more than 7 hours a sleep on a week night but I still feel very revitalized if I take Mela and ZMA. They're a fantastic stack for sleeping.

Be warned, initially on ZMA you can have some very very very weird dreams. Some dreams become very realistic and intense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to experience some of my worst fears in my dreams, like planes crashing and **** or my friends just standing up and saying they disliked me over and over.

Overall tho, Good stuff.
LOL I had a crazy ass dream that one of my pretty un-coordinated friends spin kicked me in the face and it fukin HURT in the dream my first night I took melatonin. hahaha

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Take Melatonin and ZMA.

Overall tho, Good stuff.
Crazy dreams is an understatement. If ZMA boosts my test then great. If it doesn't,that's fine too. It helps me sleep better and thats what I want. I love MVP-365 and ZMK.

onimusha

Awards
Can i take ZMA with Melatonin? together b4 sleep?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Can i take ZMA with Melatonin? together b4 sleep?
Yeah. I do that when I want to just go in a coma. I don't like taking Melatonin on a regular basis though. Most Melatonin tablets have calcium in them so I take it with my last meal just so I can take the ZMK on an empty stomach.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you can find it pretty cheap out there, and if crave some crazy dreams and some gains, then you cant go wrong.

I didn't notice a - to - b difference while taking it, but if it only made me think i was stronger, and that in turn made me try to go harder and lift more, then i got some gains.

IJL

Awards
not sure how this has affected you guys but here's from my experience...

i used to use ZMA, for a very long period of time... more than a year, missing very few nights. from my experience and checking blood work, it didn't raise my test levels in an significant manner. what it did do was actually affect my hair. taking too much zinc seemed to thin my hair and my buddy's. we were both taking it for more than a year and since we've both stopped (about 3 months ago) our hair has been coming back thicker. from what we've read, you can have too much zinc and most of us on here are getting more than we need from our diets.

just a thought. to each his own.