this can't be right... - AnabolicMinds.com

this can't be right...

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  135 lbs.

this can't be right...

i guess you would say i'm an ecto because i'm 6'2 and only about 136 pounds. i want to gain at least 10 pounds. i used berardi's massive eating calculator and it's telling me i need 3800 calories per day just to maintain my weight (i run 4-7 miles 6 days a week). that can't be right because i've only been eating 2500 and i don't gain or lose. now i know you're supposed to go 250-500 calories over maintenance to gain muscle, so if i ate 3800+ wouldn't i gain tons of fat? or is it possible that i just have a really slow metabolism? i'm just really confused. basically, i just want to know the best way to gain 10 pounds with most of it being muscle. i do lift 5 days per week. what do you think i should do?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Everyone's metabolism is different.

If you're absolutely sure you're eating like 2500 calories a day then up it 500. The calculators are just rough estimates, everyone's body is different.

I would think if you're running 30-40 miles throughout the course of a week and lifting weights 5 days a week you won't have to worry about your bodyfat getting up there if you decide to hike your calorie intake to 3800+.

As long as you stay active you should be fine. Just up it by 500 or so a day and see how it goes. If you're not putting on enough muscle weight up it some more. Probably better than just going straight into 3800+ a day everyday if you're worried about fat.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  135 lbs.

thanks. i'll try upping my calories gradually then and see how it goes.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

also if your trying to gain weight cardio isnt the best way to gain that will help you lose. so less cardio more eating continue lifting 5 days a week and just out eat your metabolism and after about a week or so if you notice your just gaining fat then lower the calories and see how that works everybody is different and im also an ecto myself so i know how hard it is to gain man just eat train and rest and you'll gain good luck
  5. Professional Member

I don't believe your weight. Post a picture.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  135 lbs.

i really am that weight. here's a pic
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...7081607-12.jpg

i can't stop running because i do cross country and track. i just want to gain about 10 pounds so i'll have at least some muscle and i think it would help with my running.
  7. Professional Member

Woah! Gnarly.

Just start eating more. Keep going up slowly in calories until you see the kind of gains you're happy with.

week1- 2500 cals, no gains?
    week2- 2800 cals
    week3- 2800 cals, no gains?
    week4- 3100 cals

etc etc etc
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

haha thats exactly what i looked like pretty much all high school, but shorter
    i just ate and made my weight gainers and slowly i started to gain.......in still short >
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.

damn you are freakin skinny

eat
    eat

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

That reminds me of Christian Bale in The Machinist.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Haha yea, he's like me but taller...

He's actually got more definition than me too since I'm such a lazy ass...
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

EAT. 3k calories? No, I'd say you need sig more than that. At least 3800-4200. Especially doing all that running, you need those extra cals to fuel you, and still add the lbs.

Get yourself some weight gainer shakes and protein. Drink a gallon of water per day and get your calories.

Also, do heavy lifts. Bench, Squat, Deadlifts...not too many machines and high rep bs.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

yah, knucks3man makes a good point, you should be doing lifts for growth, such as the ones he had listed........and if you want some easily digested calories just drink some milk!
    if you dont drink lots of milk regularly, slowly increase the amount you take in day by day, until to get p to a half gallon, thats what i drink daily, its expensive, but it does really help put on mass

you will get a little fat gain from all the milk, so def keep lifting hard core and running!
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Crap, you are crazy skinny man...

There's no harm in eating 5,000 calories for a week then taking a look in the mirror. Its not like you just gain 20 pounds of fat overnight. See how your body reacts to a new increased calorie load - then tweak from there.

In all honesty though, cross country runners are built like you for a reason. Your athletic habits are not condusive to gaining a whole lot of muscle.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

what does your split for lifting look like? also what kind of workouts do you do? focus on heavy compounds with gradually increasing weight, fuel your workouts with lots of protein and carbs.. honestly man you can afford to eat.. take in lots of clean food to fill up and dont be scared to have some pizza or some other high calorie food here and there.. your young, enjoy it while you can.. you need those extra calories. If you could post up what your workouts currently look like im sure we could be of some help.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Bottom line is that you wont gain any bulk muscle doing that much cardio. You need to pick what you want to do. If you want to gain a few lbs for track then up your calories and add more protein in your diet and do light weight and reps. You'll gain some strength with it.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

i always thought that the best way to build muscle was to do low reps of heavy weight........and to practice form, and tone muscle you do high reps of light weight
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    i always thought that the best way to build muscle was to do low reps of heavy weight........and to practice form, and tone muscle you do high reps of light weight
    Thats the best way to bulk. He seems like he just wants 10lbs to benefit his track career. In which case I dont think its a bulk.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

ohh, i miss understood what the OP wanted, sorry
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  227 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hlwwc17 View Post
    i guess you would say i'm an ecto because i'm 6'2 and only about 136 pounds. i want to gain at least 10 pounds. i used berardi's massive eating calculator and it's telling me i need 3800 calories per day just to maintain my weight (i run 4-7 miles 6 days a week). that can't be right because i've only been eating 2500 and i don't gain or lose. now i know you're supposed to go 250-500 calories over maintenance to gain muscle, so if i ate 3800+ wouldn't i gain tons of fat? or is it possible that i just have a really slow metabolism? i'm just really confused. basically, i just want to know the best way to gain 10 pounds with most of it being muscle. i do lift 5 days per week. what do you think i should do?
    For a sedentary individual, an extra 500 calories would be a good starting point. For you, running 4-7 miles 6 days a week will make it necessary to eat even more per day to gain weight. You're a very active person, and running that much definitely causes you to burn a sh*t-ton of calories. You need to add the regular 500, plus extra calories to make up for the calories you burn off while running.
  •