Can you Bulk up with out Protein Shakes?

joellamoreaux

Awards
I am having a problem when I take protein shakes. I makes me want to throw up when I am drinking it. Is there any good protein shakes that don't taste like ass. I am 160 6'3 and I have maxxed on just eating foods and gaining muscle. Any sugguestions. Thanks - Joel

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Alright since your bulking, I will suggest a protein powder that contains fats and sugars, as much as I try to stay away from the marketing giant BSN Syntha 6 taste amazing!

extrememuscle

extrememuscle

Awards
thnx..I am yet to try syntha-6..Mass Tech Strawberry is my current favourite..it's damn good ..and I have noticed that my apetite is bigger while using Mass Tech..

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Myogenix also has a very good tasting protein and is alot leaner than Syntha 6.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
make up some home-made shakes. buy some cheap whey protein, im sure you get some that don't taste of anything. Or one with a slight taste then everything else you chuck in will take the taste away, loads of threads on home-made shakes in the recipe section :)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure you haven't maxed on eating and gaining. You have a lot of growing left to do. If you get some All the Whey and mix it with whole or two percent milk and you don't like that then...you wont like anything.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
yes..is the answer to your question though. i gained close to 30 pounds (27) on a 3 month bulk. i stuck between 3600 and 4200 cals a day. On a 5'9" frame i went from 195 to 222. I'm not a big fan of protein shakes either. what's your diet? i seriously doubt it's maxed out. never heard that one before :think: gaining weight (and i assume you mean muscle) is MUCH more than protein shakes.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
Well im not sure what you have tried for Protein shakes, but even though their expensive and overrated, i personally do like musclemilk taste excellent to me, as well as whey protein, as well as a mass gainer i took by MHP up your mass if taken correctly will help and does taste good im a fan of the chocolate protein shakes so maybe try them. But ya there are many threads in the recipe section to make up your own or a better tasting one, and as far as maxed out? impossible for you to have maxed out on eating and growing your 160ibs!! just up your calorie/protein/carb intake and you will continue to grow check it out man all you gotta do is eat eat everything in sight more often than you did hope it works out for you

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
don't forget the fats....much strength and many gains in choosing the right fats in your diet...

joellamoreaux

Awards
LOL I maxed out on eating food... I have such a high Metabolism that i just burn it off quick. I know that means I have to eat more. It's not that I maxxed out for good, it's just that this is the weight that no mater what I eat I still don't go past 160. So I am trying to find something that work. If you could, put some diets up and food you eat. Shakes that don't taste like ass would be good too. Muscle Milk is good however they are way over priced. They also don't have more than 30g of protein in each which means I would be paying up the ass to drink more each day.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You've "maxxed" on just eating food? What a bunch of horseshit. Quit making excuses.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
6'3 160..omg! you want to pump iron..and kick some dumbells around! but you cant even stomach a shake? suck it up, and grow a pair! because, trust me you need all the protiens you can muster! bottoms..up..! !:aargh:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

seriously. there's no way you've maxed out your frame at 160 pounds. not at your height. more likely than not, you've neglected cholesterol in your diet, or your sodium/potassium imbalance is way out of whack. could also be a mono fat deficiency.

as far as a protein shake, you might want to try this : wheat bread and a protein shake (ON makes a good one, MRM's is a little flavorless) pre workout, then peanut butter + protein + milk post workout. MRM's metabolic whey by far have netted me the most gains, but it doesn't taste good. this is not to say that other proteins suck, these are the only two i've tried, and my personal observations.

ultimately, you'll have to decide whether you want to be 160 lbs and not eat right, or 240 lbs and eating better.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
When I went from 160 to 185 I had to absolutely force myself to eat. I always thought I had fast metabolism and couldnt gain, then I realized that I just had a smaller appetite than I needed.

4000 calories a day for 7 months was a chore every day. Id wake up, eat about 800 calories for breakfast. 2.5 hours later was about 400 calories worth of a "snack". I wasnt hungry at all, but I knew I had to eat if I wanted to gain muscle. Then 3 hours later was lunch, 800 - 1000 calories. 3 hours later was another "snack", another 800 calories. So before dinner I was at 3000 calories for the day. 1000 to go, and usually not very hungry. 800 calories for dinner, and a small snack before bed to get the last 200 - 400 calories for the day.

There was never a time in the day that I was hungry, and most of the time it was hard to convince my mouth to eat what I was trying to put in it. But you know what. Once I got up around 185-190 I was hungry more and didnt mind eating like that at all. Now it feels closer natural when I try to eat like that.

Your body only wants to consume what it needs, going over that is something you have to force it to adapt to. Some people make that adaptation when they are young and live their whole lives relying on it, us skinny people have to make the transition later in life after our body has become accustom to our skinny person eating habits. Its the exact opposite of people trying to go from 280 down to skinny. Neither one is going to happen overnight, and neither is going to be easy. Well, fat people have that surgery now days, but we dont have a surgery to expand our stomachs. Only hard work.

I dont care how fast you think your metabolism is, you can always eat more than you can burn if you want to. You just have to make sure you do and you will put on weight.

To answer your question, you dont need protein shakes at all if you are getting enough protein in the food that you eat every day. If youre not able to make your diet high enough in protein, thats when you need to add shakes. So, no you never NEED shakes. But you have to get enough protein from somewhere else. Real food...

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when ur not hungry, drink a weight gainer, cyto gainer is good isogainer by nutrabolics is by far the BEST tasting weight gainer ive ever tryed, and ive tryed them all

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Yeah... You didn't max out on foods. I have about half a dozen people at my gym that think they eat like a pig, but one person I actually grabbed lunch with and he left like half his food and said, "wow that was a lot. I'm stuffed!" It's just not that at all my friend. Just keep eating.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
that is a solid write-up man. especially the excercises. IMO nothing builds upper body mass like Deads, squats, pull-ups, chin-ups, t-bar row. If i could nothing else I would stick to these. alot of people i see wanting to gain muscle neglect these proven gainers. they stick with DB's and machines, and throw in some benching. all good stuff but nothing like like these! excellent job...what's an "overhead squat"?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
You MAY also be overtraining.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
this is some pussy talk.

I was 148 in january and I've gained 35lbs so far. I always thought I was a "hardgainer". Hardgainer actually means greatgainer. In which you don't get fat the more you eat, you gain more muscle. Stop being a pussy and drink the freakin shakes and eat more...when you are eating 12,000 calories then we can talk about maxxing out your food.

IMO 80% of the work is manning up and eating like a machine/pounding those gross ass shakes and not complaining/staying consistent. Working out is just the fun part.
Keep it up. Theres no such thing as hardgainers.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
that is a solid write-up man. especially the excercises. IMO nothing builds upper body mass like Deads, squats, pull-ups, chin-ups, t-bar row. If i could nothing else I would stick to these. alot of people i see wanting to gain muscle neglect these proven gainers. they stick with DB's and machines, and throw in some benching. all good stuff but nothing like like these! excellent job...what's an "overhead squat"?

thanks. i tried my best when i wrote that, and many of those points i learned after coming to this forum. to answer your question, an overhead squat is where you hold the weight over your head at or just about at lockout, keep it there, and squat. there's nothing that works more muscles than the overhead squat. and its harder than sin to balance that weight up there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slowly adding calories is the best option. Add 5g of protein, fat, and carbs to 5 meals a day and you have already adding ~425kcals into your diet. Small changes can pay huge dividends. For example, adding 1 extra egg to your breakfast and you've already added ~70-80kcals.

Also, how much produce do you consume each day?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Slowly adding calories is the best option. Add 5g of protein, fat, and carbs to 5 meals a day and you have already adding ~425kcals into your diet. Small changes can pay huge dividends. For example, adding 1 extra egg to your breakfast and you've already added ~70-80kcals.

Also, how much produce do you consume each day?
Christ. That's tedious (is that spelled right?) as hell Rodja. Let me whip out my food scale and measuring spoons. lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Christ. That's tedious (is that spelled right?) as hell Rodja. Let me whip out my food scale and measuring spoons. lol.
Yes, it's spelled right. You only have to do it for a bit until you get the hang of it. He could also eat a nice fatty-cut of steak before bed. Delicious and one of the best bulkers out there.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
You've "maxxed" on just eating food? What a bunch of horseshit. Quit making excuses.
Yes!! Take a solid look at your diet and do what you need to do to make those gains! Suncloud's write up is a very good one. It has a lot of advice not just for an average person but for an ecto. I used to believe in the term "hardgainer". BS

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
an overhead squat is where you hold the weight over your head at or just about at lockout, keep it there, and squat. there's nothing that works more muscles than the overhead squat. and its harder than sin to balance that weight up there.

good god!!! I think i'll leave that one to the younger guys...maybe I'll try it with 135 or something

Ryno703

Ryno703

Awards
You need to eat more calorie dense foods like peanut butter, avocados, bread, and rice these foods take no preparation to eat and are perfect for gaining.
How many cals do you take in a day? If you stopped gaining at what your eating now that would be maintenance for you. Try increasing what your taking in now by 500cals.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
good god!!! I think i'll leave that one to the younger guys...maybe I'll try it with 135 or something
Maybe start lighter. lol. Not saying youre not strong enough, its just odd to keep the weight up there as you get deep in the hole. Too heavy and you wont be able to go as far down.

Then when you get the motion down, try 20 rep overheads. Youll be breathing like you just ran sprints. :)

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Ill switch from Protein powders to cottage cheese mixed with yogurt 2 times a day, as extra protein (medium absorbing), minimal fats, tons of vits and minerals, and damn good tasting. Mix 3 or 4 tablespoons of cottage cheese (low fat) with your favorite type of yogurt and it absorbs its taste.

mazurek

Banned
Awards
I usually put 2 scoops of strawberry flavor and one of chocolate. 70 grams. 2 heaping table spoons of peanut butter (another 10-20 grams of protein). I buy a couple baygs of frozen fruit (raspberry, strawberry, blueberry,..melons, and banana). Use whole milk. If you want you can throw some of your supps in with the mix. I always get compliments on the shakes I make.

Hockey Rulz

Hockey Rulz

Awards
My .02

Dude, when I started this lifting/eating stuff 9 years ago I weighed 155 lbs at 6' around 15% bf

I am now a solid 210 6' and since this is the growing season back up to 11% bf (was at 204 lbs and 7.5% after cutting for summer); just eat a lot of good food, and add mass shakes
N2Large is my favorite.

You have to WANT to get results, this is no BS. You have to eat, find a calculator for your maintenance calories and then add 500 - 1000.

But your foods should be good, not going to list them here don't have time.

I would just do compound movements heavy in the beginning, stick with 6-8 rep ranges for 8 - 12 weeks, then mix it up, giant sets, drop sets, rest pauses, 8 - 12 reps, and back down again.

Do cardio only on 1 or 2 off days for 30 - 40 minutes. This is important for both heart health and keeping some of the fat gains down.

Until you KNOW what 4000 calories is food-wise you will never eat it, so go to one of the few good calorie counting web sites and set up an account and keep track of your stuff for a few weeks/months, trust me you will be surprised at how hard it is to eat 4000 GOOD calories.

Here is an example of my morning/day:

First AM I take one serving of N2 Large upon waking. 500 cals

Breakfast: 1/3 cup oat bran, 8-10 egg whites, medium grapefruit, 8 oz coffee (1 oz milk) some mornings I sub out the oat bran and do Kashi GoLean 2servings, 3 oz skim milk. 500 cals

Morning Snack: 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1 TBLSP cold press flax oil. 350

Lunch #1: 6 - 8 oz lean turkey breast or roasted chicken breast, deli mustard, lettuce, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1-nonfat plain yogurt, carrots. 500 cals

Lunch #2 (not always feasible with work): 8 oz chicken breast, kale, and a medium yam. 400 cals

Pre Workout meal (hour out):

50-60 g Oat bran,
(450 - 500 cals)
50-60 g ON whey w/water and:
3 g beta alanine
3 g l-arginine
5 g creatine mono
10 g bcaa powder
B complex

30 mins out

2 scoops Gaspari super pump

(spend 10 mins in the bathroom LOL LOL)

Workout (I usually don't have anything but water, occasionally if running over 1-hour I'll grab a powerade)

Post workout:

10 g glutamine (as soon as I'm done before even leaving)
1 serving N2 Large or Up Your Mass
(500 cals)
Dinner usually consists of lean meat, kale (greens), and a small starch.
(450 - 600 cals depending on starch amount)

ZMA 3 caps 1 hour before bed.

Bedtime casein shake (40-50 g).
(160 - 200 cals)

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
My .02

Dude, when I started this lifting/eating stuff 9 years ago I weighed 155 lbs at 6' around 15% bf

I am now a solid 210 6' and since this is the growing season back up to 11% bf (was at 204 lbs and 7.5% after cutting for summer); just eat a lot of good food, and add mass shakes
N2Large is my favorite.

You have to WANT to get results, this is no BS. You have to eat, find a calculator for your maintenance calories and then add 500 - 1000.

But your foods should be good, not going to list them here don't have time.

I would just do compound movements heavy in the beginning, stick with 6-8 rep ranges for 8 - 12 weeks, then mix it up, giant sets, drop sets, rest pauses, 8 - 12 reps, and back down again.

Do cardio only on 1 or 2 off days for 30 - 40 minutes. This is important for both heart health and keeping some of the fat gains down.

Until you KNOW what 4000 calories is food-wise you will never eat it, so go to one of the few good calorie counting web sites and set up an account and keep track of your stuff for a few weeks/months, trust me you will be surprised at how hard it is to eat 4000 GOOD calories.

Here is an example of my morning/day:

First AM I take one serving of N2 Large upon waking. 500 cals

Breakfast: 1/3 cup oat bran, 8-10 egg whites, medium grapefruit, 8 oz coffee (1 oz milk) some mornings I sub out the oat bran and do Kashi GoLean 2servings, 3 oz skim milk. 500 cals

Morning Snack: 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1 TBLSP cold press flax oil. 350

Lunch #1: 6 - 8 oz lean turkey breast or roasted chicken breast, deli mustard, lettuce, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1-nonfat plain yogurt, carrots. 500 cals

Lunch #2 (not always feasible with work): 8 oz chicken breast, kale, and a medium yam. 400 cals

Pre Workout meal (hour out):

50-60 g Oat bran,
(450 - 500 cals)
50-60 g ON whey w/water and:
3 g beta alanine
3 g l-arginine
5 g creatine mono
10 g bcaa powder
B complex

30 mins out

2 scoops Gaspari super pump

(spend 10 mins in the bathroom LOL LOL)

Workout (I usually don't have anything but water, occasionally if running over 1-hour I'll grab a powerade)

Post workout:

10 g glutamine (as soon as I'm done before even leaving)
1 serving N2 Large or Up Your Mass
(500 cals)
Dinner usually consists of lean meat, kale (greens), and a small starch.
(450 - 600 cals depending on starch amount)

ZMA 3 caps 1 hour before bed.

Bedtime casein shake (40-50 g).
(160 - 200 cals)

Thats a good write up

Aggression

Aggression

Awards
Hold your nose and house the shakes bro. When bulking, go ahead and throw down some tasty weight gainers. You gotta do what you gotta do to grow.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
LOL I maxed out on eating food... I have such a high Metabolism that i just burn it off quick. I know that means I have to eat more. It's not that I maxxed out for good, it's just that this is the weight that no mater what I eat I still don't go past 160. So I am trying to find something that work. If you could, put some diets up and food you eat. Shakes that don't taste like ass would be good too. Muscle Milk is good however they are way over priced. They also don't have more than 30g of protein in each which means I would be paying up the ass to drink more each day.

some basketball players and NFL players eat 10 000 or more calories a day.

Michael Phelps eats 12000 calories a day.

Based on what the pros do, the point is..., to Gain more, EAT EAT EAT.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Big Mac Diet!!!
Seriously though, I'm in the same boat. I literally gained about 30 pounds, not fat btw, through homemade gainer shakes, and hot pockets.
Being ecto means you can eat stuff that would make others absolutey blimp, and get away with it.
I abuse that ability :)

DNA

Awards
Don't buy just any protein. Many provide low quality whey and thus provide pour bioavailability. Designer Whey is good, but I did prefer Nitro Tech. Check the sugars as well. Good protein formulas are also fortified with other vitamins and minerals. There is another product on the market, Liberatone that is fortified not only with vitamins and minerals, but has a joint health complex (Chondrotin, Glucosamin, and MSM) added as well. These are highly proven ingredients. If you’re training hard and stressing your joints, this product worked wonders for me. It has the same protein levels, but a much better all around formula.