Whole Milk Question

searcyc2

Awards
I've read on here before that it is very benificial to drink 1/2 - 1 gallon of whole milk/day for a bulk. Is this true?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
well yes and no. milk will put on mass. it's full of.....well hell read the label.....fat, calories...etc. it is a great, natural weight gainer. now keep in mind you do not, i repeat DO NOT want to go from drinking no milk, or very little, to drinking a gallon a day. the fat gain would not be good, unless you don't care about that. to start a bulking phase i will start using milk in my protein shakes instead of water. thats a good way to let your body adjust. its just like bulking any other way, adjust your cals up 500 per week, then see where you're at.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
A gallon of two percent milk has somewhere around this caloric range for the whole (from the gallon I have in my fridge).

fat:80 grams
Protein: 128 grams
Carbs: 192 grams

Whole milk would have comparatively more fat per a serving, somewhere in the range of 40 more grams per a gallon. Largely depending on your size, metabolism etc. I think that the whole milk wouldn't be too much of a wise choice in large quantities because of the amount of fat.

Khadafi

Khadafi

Awards
Milk is GOOD(Whole milk is best!)
Your body needs fat too, not just protein and carbs.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
whole milk is great if you are eating everything you can and still not gaining. liquid calories are much easier to digest. its not the best thing in the world though; the cholesterol is good, the protein is good, but the fat in milk is not the greatest. if you're lean bulking, and just need to up your calories, consider fat free or 1% milk. if you're a super hard gainer, than do the whole milk. its really about if your body can USE the calories from it.

crazilyfter42

Awards
Dairies are a great source for omega 6s and eventually arachidonic acid. Not to mention the protein you get from milk. When I bulk whole milk is always a must. Ive had a lot of success with drinking large amounts of whole milk but like others have said you have to expect some fat gain with it. But during a bulk I dont mind fat gain b/c its expected and can always be dropped during a future cut. Start out drinking smaller amounts and gradually raise to see how your body will respond. This will allow you to gauge the affect and drink the amount for the results you want. Something else to think about is supplementing w/ fish oils while drinking a lot of whole milk b/c you are going to want a good balance of omega 3s with all the extra omega 6s you are getting from the influx of whole milk. My understanding is that its important to maintain this balance to establish anabolic potential.

Jayburned

Jayburned

Banned
Awards
****, I used to drink unfrozen vanilla soft serve!

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Generally I think it's a bad idea because it's so much easier to get your calories from it - you can get lazy as hell drinking 2000 liquid calories each day.

I think a lot (not all) of people who go crazy drinking milk are not very experienced with "bulking" and put on way more fat than they realize. It's easy to go from 10-12% up to 17% and think you gained a ton of muscle.

Personally I've cut it out and haven't even been eating cheese lately. I find that it keeps me harder and leaner. Old school BBs (1950s-60s) have a reputation for drinking tons of whole milk, but some actually stayed away because they thought it smoothed them out...that's been my experience.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
would it be beneficial to switch from skim milk to a milk with a higher fat content.. usually try to get in macronutrients of 300grams protein, 250 grams carbs and no more then 70-85 grams fat..

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
would it be beneficial to switch from skim milk to a milk with a higher fat content.. usually try to get in macronutrients of 300grams protein, 250 grams carbs and no more then 70-85 grams fat..
If your bulking i'd say go for it, remember to get in as much whole food as possbile too

Ryno703

Ryno703

Awards
Ive been bulking for about 6 weeks now. I started at 2000cals and now ive reached 3500 cals and I'm finally starting to gain. Eating 3500 cals is hard if you eat low fat every thing. I just stumbled on this thread and it gave me the idea to swap out my fat free milk and cottage cheese for the whole. Its way easier now to get my daily Cal's and weight is still going up nice, about 1.5 pounds a week.

Rah22491

Awards
Depends on your body type if youre an ecto go for it you can use the extra carbs and fat, but if not i would suggest drinking about 8oz of 2% 3 times a day. Just play with it and judge it by how you look if you start to smooth out than back off some

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
If I could digest it I would be drinking as much as possible, I think its one of the original super foods.

elabor

elabor

Awards
You would be better off drinking a lot of skim milk or lesser amounts of milk up to 2% milkfat. You can also mix in powdered skim milk to increase caloric density and protein. This is what nutritionists recommend to parents with underweight kids.

Kids and especially infants are growing at a rate we should all envy. Many of their nutrition needs and objectives have similarities to those of bodybuilders.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I tend to stick with the 2% just to be safe. I eat enough whole foods that I don't even consider adding milk, but I like to have a couple glasses a week.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Whole milk all the way. As much as I can fit in. I can chug a glass after a meal and there is another 150 calories.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Whole milk all the way. As much as I can fit in. I can chug a glass after a meal and there is another 150 calories.
i aim for 2.27 litres a day :D

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
I have a question. I am lactose intolerant and find drinking milk to turn my stomach inside out. Are there any substitutes that I can use? Just diary in general makes me bloat. In a sense, i'm looking for a way of building mass by not having any diary if at all possible.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I have a question. I am lactose intolerant and find drinking milk to turn my stomach inside out. Are there any substitutes that I can use? Just diary in general makes me bloat. In a sense, i'm looking for a way of building mass by not having any diary if at all possible.
Lactose free milk? Almond milk?

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I drink soy, and skim 1% when leaning and full milk when I'm bulking - always with the Whey and/or Casein

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Lactose free milk? Almond milk?

Soy milk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Soy milk is nutritionally close to cow's milk. It naturally has about the same amount of protein (though not the same amino acid profile) as cow's milk. Natural soy milk contains little digestible calcium as it is bound to the bean's pulp, which is insoluble in a human. To counter this, many manufacturers enrich their products with calcium carbonate available to human digestion. Unlike cow's milk it has little saturated fat and no cholesterol, which is a benefit. Soy products contain sucrose as the basic disaccharide, which breaks down into glucose and fructose. Since soy doesn't contain galactose, a product of lactose breakdown, it can safely replace breast milk in children with Galactosemia.

Soy milk is promoted as a healthy alternative to cow's milk for reasons including:

-Source of lecithin and vitamin E
-Lacks casein
-It is safe for people with lactose intolerance or milk allergy
-Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are good for the heart. (It should be noted that whole milk has just as much monounsaturated fat as soy milk; and while it has less polyunsaturated, it contains the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that soy milk lack.)
-Contains far less saturated fat than cow's milk.
-Contains isoflavones, organic chemicals that may possibly be beneficial to health.