staying in a anabolic state when sleeping

lightweight57

Awards
i hear when u sleep u go into a catabolic state which isnt good is there anyway to be at a anabolic state during sleeping

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
ya.. slurp down a slow processing protein pre-bedtime... i like ultra peptide... or u can eat something... if i dont feel like a shake ill have a cup of cottage cheese.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
cottage cheese, broccoli, flax/natty pb/ or almonds is the way I like to go.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Some people make great gains and eat their last meal hours before bed.

As a general principle, I'd say those who are thin and lower body fat can afford to eat an equal number of calories from casein protein and fat just before bed (remember, 4 cals per gram protein and 9 per gram fat).

On the other hand, those who want to stave off fat gain should probably just consume 25-100 grams of casein just before bed. Personally I am gaining just fine right now with one scoop milk protein isolate before bed and a teaspoon of cod liver oil taken alongside.

Just a matter of knowing how your body responds. Berardi works/has worked closely with Biotest in the past, and they produced some very alarming articles about "losing muscle while you sleep" in order to sell their overpriced casein blend that actually has a lot of whey added. Berardi is a great nutritionist, but I think he was also encouraged to play into the alarmist "Your body goes catabolic at night!" trend.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Some people make great gains and eat their last meal hours before bed.

As a general principle, I'd say those who are thin and lower body fat can afford to eat an equal number of calories from casein protein and fat just before bed (remember, 4 cals per gram protein and 9 per gram fat).

On the other hand, those who want to stave off fat gain should probably just consume 25-100 grams of casein just before bed. Personally I am gaining just fine right now with one scoop milk protein isolate before bed and a teaspoon of cod liver oil taken alongside.

Just a matter of knowing how your body responds. Berardi works/has worked closely with Biotest in the past, and they produced some very alarming articles about "losing muscle while you sleep" in order to sell their overpriced casein blend that actually has a lot of whey added. Berardi is a great nutritionist, but I think he was also encouraged to play into the alarmist "Your body goes catabolic at night!" trend.
I'm not sure which side to pick right now. I think I might just keep doing what I'm doing. I've been eating a solid meal low in carbs,then my ZMK,and then bed for a few months and I've gained 10 pounds. I'm obviously not loosing too much muscle overnight.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
I take in 40g of a mixed whey/casien protien shake before I fall asleep, seems to be doing well. I wake up with a lot more energy now than when I didn't take it.

~GX

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure which side to pick right now. I think I might just keep doing what I'm doing. I've been eating a solid meal low in carbs,then my ZMK,and then bed for a few months and I've gained 10 pounds. I'm obviously not loosing too much muscle overnight.
The hormonal benefits/gh benefits of fat intake prior to sleep is actually quite interesting, and the main reason I like to take it in with my final meal of the day.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
The ball is also starting to roll the other way; some people are now talking about the benefits of having a few carbs before bed. Better perceived sleep quality is one of the benefits.

meatNcreatine

Awards
ZMA and cottage cheese baby!! i dont know if im crazy but when i wake up and eat breakfast i feel fuller, muscular speaking

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chalk another vote up for Ultra peptide before bed.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
lol isnt cottage cheese basically milk

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
lol isnt cottage cheese basically milk
That's why I stopped taking ZMA. I wasn't getting much effect if any so it wasn't worth planning my entire frigging night around it, especially since I find milk protein before bed fairly effective.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
That's why I stopped taking ZMA. I wasn't getting much effect if any so it wasn't worth planning my entire frigging night around it, especially since I find milk protein before bed fairly effective.

i feel ya

BiggerGeek

Awards
The complete milk dairy isolate from True protein has no calcium in it.

That way you could have the best of both worlds.

lightweight57

Awards
right now im eating cottage cheese some almonds and a teaspoon of flax oil this is literally like 20-30 mins before bed

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Casein shake + Natty PB + 1g CLA 1.5hrs before bed, ZMA just before bed.

BiggerGeek

Awards
gotta get that casein + whey. You only need you amino levels about 25% above baseline to keep from going catabolic. 30g casein can do this.

add 30 g whey for one more anabolic boost before bed.