Oil Suggestions

indianakelso

Awards
Just curios as to what type of oil to mix in with shakes, and maybe what is the best far as taste and nutriton value as far as gaining weight. Been on a slow bulk for a while but ready to step it up a notch.Have read post about it being an easy way to add healthy fats and calories. Know of Canola, Flax, Fish, and Coconut oil. Also ha something easy to find at the local wal mart

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Almond Oil
Extra virgin oil olive
Hemp oil

I use hemp oil, high in omega 3,6 and 9 :)

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use unrefined coconut oil for my extra fats. They're mostly saturated fats (helps boost testosterone IMO), and it gives energy since it's mainly short chains and won't be stored as fat. I use fish oil for my Omega 3's. Cod liver oil for my Vitamin D and DHA boost during the winter. Olive oil when I need something that is liquid at cooler temperatures.

Almond oil would be tasty, although never tried. Walmart might have coconut, but try and find unrefined if possible. Natural PB is a good tasty bulker too.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
grape seed oil, tastes the best i think, plus its got a better fat profile than olive oil.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use unrefined coconut oil for my extra fats. They're mostly saturated fats (helps boost testosterone IMO), and it gives energy since it's mainly short chains and won't be stored as fat. I use fish oil for my Omega 3's. Cod liver oil for my Vitamin D and DHA boost during the winter. Olive oil when I need something that is liquid at cooler temperatures.

Almond oil would be tasty, although never tried. Walmart might have coconut, but try and find unrefined if possible. Natural PB is a good tasty bulker too.

it metabolized as a carb, therefore it can be stored as fat, the good thing bout it is used for energy first, but like any carb, you over eat it, it will be stored. i wouldnt use it in a high carb meal.

favorite oils of mine...

Avocado oil
Peanut oil
Macadamia nut oil
Hazelnut oil
EVOO

i see someone mentioned almond oil, thats good, but make sure u dont buy SWEET almond oil, (look up its side effects of ingesting SWEET ALMOND OIL, anal leakage is one of them)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it metabolized as a carb, therefore it can be stored as fat, the good thing bout it is used for energy first, but like any carb, you over eat it, it will be stored. i wouldnt use it in a high carb meal.

favorite oils of mine...

Avocado oil
Peanut oil
Macadamia nut oil
Hazelnut oil
EVOO

i see someone mentioned almond oil, thats good, but make sure u dont buy SWEET almond oil, (look up its side effects of ingesting SWEET ALMOND OIL, anal leakage is one of them)
:think: :think: :think:

Reading this I expect you believe that coconut oil (A fat) is metabolized as a carb? Can you show a source for that? Because that is like saying your taffy is metabolized as your steak?!?!

Stevoph is right, the length of the chain of changes in what order fats are burned. Coconut being of the short/medium variety places them in front for burning. Also 60 percent of those fats are a form of lauric acid, which is more effectively metabolized than other kinds of fats.

Coconut oil also has the benefit of increasing testosterone, a benefit in our line of thinking.

It has many benefits, and shouldnt be overlooked, just dont over do it (Like anything else of course)

BTW... Absolutely PARAMOUNT in PCT.

Adams

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:think: :think: :think:

Reading this I expect you believe that coconut oil (A fat) is metabolized as a carb? Can you show a source for that? Because that is like saying your taffy is metabolized as your steak?!?!

Stevoph is right, the length of the chain of changes in what order fats are burned. Coconut being of the short/medium variety places them in front for burning. Also 60 percent of those fats are a form of lauric acid, which is more effectively metabolized than other kinds of fats.

Coconut oil also has the benefit of increasing testosterone, a benefit in our line of thinking.

It has many benefits, and shouldnt be overlooked, just dont over do it (Like anything else of course)

BTW... Absolutely PARAMOUNT in PCT.

Adams

its a medium chain triglyceride so let me explain to you why that is.

people with a removed gall bladder, steatorreah and fat malabsorbtion cannot metabolize fat the way they are supposed to becuase of physiological problems, MCT oils (like coconut oil) are metabolized via the same pathway of carbohydrates. so they are absorbed by the body and not excreted.

people with these conditions can excrete 30-50g of fat a day vs the "normal"5-7g

it also should be noted that the laiuric acid thats most aboundant in cocunut oil helps with your thyroid ouput and immune system...

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Comparison of glucose, LCT, and LCT plus MCT as calorie sources for parenterally nourished rats

T. P. Stein, M. E. Presti, M. J. Leskiw, M. E. Torosian, R. G. Settle, G. P. Buzby and M. D. Schluter

Protein and fat metabolism were studied in fed and protein-depleted rats. The rats were given one of three isocaloric, isonitrogenous nutrient mixes parenterally. The nutritional regimens differed in the source of nonprotein calories: i) glucose, ii) an emulsion containing long-chain fatty acid triglyceride esters (LCT), and iii) an emulsion containing both LCTs and medium-chain fatty acid triglycerides (MCT). Nitrogen balance, protein synthesis and breakdown, fat deposition in the liver, and the periuterine fat pads were measured using [15N]glycine as the tracer for the protein metabolism and deuterium for the lipid studies. Results are as follows. i) Nitrogen retention and protein synthesis were greater in the fed rats treated with glucose than with LCT. ii) Nitrogen fluxes were lower with LCT than with glucose. iii) Extensive lipogenesis in the liver was only found with the glucose-treated rats. iv) None of the caloric regimens promoted lipogenesis in the periuterine fat pads. v) With the two lipid-containing regimens there was a relative depletion of the depot fat in the periuterine fat pads relative to their glucose-treated counterparts. v) Although the MCT-containing emulsion did not cause hepatomegaly, its apparent caloric effectiveness was lower than that of either glucose or LCT. vi) Chain elongation is not a major pathway for MCT metabolism in parenterally nourished rats.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BIjPC4xwBKsC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=MCT+metabolized+like+glucose&source=web&ots=iv33qmxzKw&sig=w_K_iyEjCAKMaOBbhmWVinASPqA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

its in the middle of that page buddy

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dietary lipids modify redox homeostasis and steroidogenic status in rat testis.
Hurtado de Catalfo GE, de Alaniz MJ, Marra CA.

Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquímicas de La Plata, CONICET-UNLP, Cátedra de Bioquímica, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina.

OBJECTIVE: The present study explored the effect of dietary oils on lipid composition, antioxidant status, and the activity of the main steroidogenic enzymes in the testis. METHODS: Forty Wistar rats were randomly assigned to one of four groups (n = 10) fed for 60 d on the same basal diet plus different lipid sources as commercial oils: soybean, olive, coconut, or grapeseed. After sacrifice, testicular lipids and fatty acid composition, free radical biomarkers, antioxidant levels, hormones, and steroidogenic enzymes were determined. RESULTS: The lipid composition of diets produced significant changes in neutral/phospholipids, free/esterified cholesterol, and plasmalogen proportion. Fatty acid patterns of these lipids were also strongly modified, influencing the double bond index. We also found a close correlation between the type of diet and the generation of free radicals. The oxidative stress in testes was higher with the grapeseed oil-supplemented diet and decreased with the other diets in this order: soybean oil > olive oil > coconut oil. Animals fed with the olive oil and coconut oil diets showed the highest testicular levels of antioxidants in addition to significantly high levels of testosterone and 3beta- or 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymes. CONCLUSION: Different oils in the diets strongly modified the homeostasis of the testicular antioxidant defense system and, in consequence, affected steroidogenic function, showing a clear correlation with the damage induced. According to our results, an appropriate mixture of olive and soybean oils could be a healthy recommendation.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use butter about a stick a day, EVOO for taste only, fish oil/cold liver oil A LOT more than 99% of the population and might get another jar of coconut oil, the only plant oil I consider to be nutritious.

For me, plant oils are for taste only, not nutrition.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Smart Balance makes a blended oil that is super high in omega-3s. It's pretty cheap too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 2
bell1986 35 and Older 6
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
Supplements 12